Forum: Highland / Highland Photos - Misc

Highland Photos - Misc
Tiny brag, first kilt vest I ever made
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sat Jun 29, 2013 08:52 AM

Because I'm actually rather proud of how it turned out, I'm going to shamelessly brag about the first ever kilt vest I made. I have made Irish solodresses in the past, but when one of my Highland dancers needed a vest & couldn't afford to buy one (she has unusual measurements so custom-made is the only option), I was silly enough to volunteer to make her a vest, even when I didn't have a proper pattern.

Anyway, it took about 10 hours from cutting the velvet to sewing on the hooks and eyes, and I must say I think I did okay. Luckily she's only just moved into Novice because I don't think the vest is fit for a Premier dancer.

And I think I'll stick to solodresses for the time being ...

7 Replies to Tiny brag, first kilt vest I ever made

re: Tiny brag, first kilt vest I ever made
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Sat Jun 29, 2013 08:36 PM
Very pretty, well done! What tartan is the kilt being worn with this?
On Sun Jun 30, 2013 01:25 AM
Currently it's Anderson, but it's going to be with Comrie Gold.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Jun 30, 2013 04:15 AM
It looks great, Rosalinde. Well done! And it definitely would be ok for a premier- it passes the dress code, so what more does it need?
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 PM
Oh, that will be so pretty with Comrie Gold! Love it :)
On Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 AM
Crispbin: thank you! It does comply with the rules, so if she cannot buy a new one by Premier, ir will be fine. But maybe I'm just a bit fussy and I see all the little things that I wish I'd done better. Perhaps I just need to remind myself thatvit is a stage outfit & won't be seen in close-up.

For those who would like to know, I used this pattern: Vogue 8510. It has a dropped waist and the seams sit exactly where you want the 5 points to be. I made a mock-up with the zipper in the front, and then just drew the shape of the vest on it with a ballpoint pen while the dancer was wearing it. Bit unconventional, but it worked.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Mon Jul 01, 2013 03:09 AM
Well, well done again! Making a highland vest from a non-highland pattern- kudos to you.

C
By Grand4Premium member Comments: 85, member since Fri Jun 28, 2013
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:08 AM
Well done - I find the vests I make don't look as professional as the ones that are made by Companies (Tartan Town = eg). But I will keep trying.

You can be proud of your vest. Congratulations.

ReplySendWatch