Forum: Advice / Stretching Photos - Members

Stretching Photos - Members
Middle Splits Progress
By Tazzerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 225, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Thu Jul 04, 2013 02:47 PM

Hey guys! It's been... four years since I've been on DDN. I'm now a dance minor at college and am heading off to the Rockettes summer intensive in 10 days! My goal these past three weeks has been to get my middle splits flat before I go.

Here are a few progress photos... the last one was taken today.
I've been curious about one thing. Despite the progress I've made, my straddle hasn't changed at all. As in, sitting with my legs in front and then pulling them to the side. My hips just stop. But sliding down into my box splits (like in the photos) I can get almost flat. Is anyone else like this? I'm assuming it's just a structural thing?

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts - I'm excited to be back!

3 Replies to Middle Splits Progress

re: Middle Splits Progress
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:53 PM
You certainly have made a lot of progress in a few days. That's great. I worked on my straddle for MANY years, and I never even got close. But I would advise you not to focus ONLY on your extension. Your legs are turned in, your feet are weirdly relaxed, and you have terrible posture. In my opinion, all three of those things are more important than a flat split. Don't sacrifice technique for extension. Good luck at your SI. That sounds fun.
By Tazzerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 225, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Fri Jul 05, 2013 02:01 PM
Better? :)
By michelleshie Comments: 25, member since Tue Nov 22, 2011
On Sat Aug 24, 2013 04:48 AM
I also have problem with middle split. I was stretching the same way as the first 2 pictures. I thought since the knees are facing up the hips are turned out. Can someone please tell me what should be corrected? Maybe I was stretching the wrong way...

ReplySendWatch