Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
DIY fix or just buy a new computer?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:35 PM

I've had my computer for three years and I am quite fond of it. However, it has been angering me recently. I need to replace my dc in jack/ socket (I'm pretty sure that that is what it is called).

I have found that you can do this yourself pretty cheap but it would cost a pro around $100 to do. I think my dad can solder the part, he fixes CBs all the time and knows how to solder (I do too, but it's been awhile, and I trust him more than myself with soldering). I don't want to pay $100 to fix my computer if I can just get a new one for $300-$400. But if I can fix it myself just for the price of the part, I'd be willing to do that and if it doesn't work then I would only be out about $7.

It's really frustrating because a few months ago my charger broke so I've been borrowing my brothers and now this happened and it wont charge without a lot of finagling and tonight I couldn't get it to charge at all.

Would it be worth it to try to fix in myself (or rather have my dad try to fix it)? Or just I just go ahead and buy a new one?

6 Replies to DIY fix or just buy a new computer?

re: DIY fix or just buy a new computer?
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Tue Jul 09, 2013 01:55 AM
don't know if this helps, but found these:
www.google.com . . .

also I'd suggest these:
www.google.com . . .

www.instructables.com . . .

www.laptoprepair101.com . . .

best of luck!

Shadow.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Jul 09, 2013 03:25 PM
If your dad knows how to fix solid state CB radios on printed-circuit boards, he probably would be able to fix this. I'm not sure where he would get the replacement part, but I find a lot of stuff like this by Googling. The hard part of laptop repair is "getting there" disassembly can be rather complicated and reassembly even more so :P. My problem is I can't see the &^%$ parts any more they are so small. :P

Jon
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jul 10, 2013 09:47 PM
Alright, I ordered the part for $4. Should be here on Tuesday.

I found a video of someone taking apart my computer model and I think I can take it apart, there's a lot to take apart but, I think I can do it. I'll have my dad do the actual fixing and I'll put it back together (I hope).

I have all of my important stuff saved on flash drives, just in case. Also, if I some how destroy my computer, I'm only out $4 and I can get a new one cheap.

I'm going to take it apart on Sunday, because I will have the time to do that then.
On Sat Jul 13, 2013 07:42 PM
Well, I took it apart.

Image hotlink - 'http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/majere_photos/e7dc7167-183a-424f-923e-dead66544589_zps22269822.jpg'

Now I just have to fix it and put it back together.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Jul 13, 2013 09:31 PM
I play with radios (licensed Amateur Radio Operator) and I have taken apart two laptops one with a certain amount of success, though it was so old, it really wasn't worth the trouble, and another that I could not fix and neither could supposed professional. I used to be able to fix radios when the parts were
bigger and there was more room in the case. While I got both laptops together again, the one I fixed (sorta) had such a weak hinge that it kept falling apart, even though it did work. The other one, my son-in-law's never did work and chatter on the web indicated that a lot of other people had problems with it.

I have two old short wave radios here now, on which I got working and the other I just started to work on. I hope Majeur can remember where all the parts go.

Jon
re: DIY fix or just buy a new computer? (karma: 1)
On Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 PM
Success! My computer charges now! I did have two spare screws (oops) and I didn't re-connect the touch-pad properly at first, but it is fixed and put back together!

Bad news is my dad will need a new soldering iron, he was having some trouble with it.

ReplySendWatch