Forum: Twirling / Twirling

Could use some advice starting a Majorette Group
By ShanM
On Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 AM

I'm going to start a local majorette group. When I was growing up I did 8 years baton twirling in a local group. Now that I have two small daughters who are interested in joining a majorette group I found out that the art has completely died out of our county. The closest places that offer baton twirling are an hour away in either direction. Those places are extremely advanced and into all the competitions and the actual sport of baton twirling. I don't really know anything about the actual sport side of baton twirling as all I ever did was parades. But I want the local kids to at least have a chance to learn the basics and if they decide they love it then they can explore other options but mainly I want to get the joy of baton twirling back into our community.

I'd really appreciate any tips or advice.

3 Replies to Could use some advice starting a Majorette Group

re: Could use some advice starting a Majorette Group
By twirlgirlsbaton
On Mon Jul 15, 2013 02:45 PM
Do you want to teach the group yourself, or hire someone with more knowledge and experience to teach for you while you run it? Are you interested in eventually becoming a competition group, or do you want to just have kids come and learn for fun, maybe doing some parades now and then? I think the way you approach it will have to do with your goals for the group. The best way to start might be through a local Parks and Rec if you have them in your area. Approach them and ask if you could start a new program. I would also suggest you contact an experienced coach and maybe take some lessons yourself before you would attempt to teach children, to brush up on your skills and make sure you have the proper technique so that you can be an effective teacher. There is nothing harder to a coach than having someone who wants to advance come to our group having been taught the basics by someone who really doesn't know what they are doing, and having to completely re-teach them how to properly execute tricks as well as break them of bad habits learned from an inexperienced coach. Good luck with your endeavor.
By ShanM
On Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think nobody was here. I'm not interested in doing competition level because I don't have that kind of training. I was trained to twirl in parades not the finer points of baton competitions. I've tried finding experienced people in my area but there simply are none. The interest in twirling is gone. I've contacted groups over an hour away but they didn't respond. When I called they weren't interested in helping me in any way. I'm not really sure why the stand offish attitude. It's kinda weird. It's not like I'd be taking anything away from them. Anyway, I seem to be reduced to learning what I can find out online. Parks and Recs is a good start and I've already found out about the insurances and all the legal stuff. And I fully understand not wanting to teach kids something wrong. Just wish the community wasn't so difficult. It's really strange. Even the local fire departments don't wish to be bothered and that's who I did 8 years of parades for. I just don't get it. Baton twirling is great just for fun and it reduces stress. Not to mention it livens up a parade. I just twirl to twirl - I never really stopped. I just enjoy it and was excited when the girls wanted to do it too. So a big thank you for your help I'll let you know how it goes :)
By TwirlSportJunkie
On Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 PM
Hi! I think what u want to do is wonderful. We need more parade groups. I do think the parks and rec is a good way to start or rent space at a dance studio. Keeping it fun and happy is the way to go. USTA and AAU has coaches insurance if required for any facility you may need. Costuming now is so much easier and Im sure you will do great. Starline baton has nice dvd beginner series if you run out of material. Just jump in, learn a lot and have a lot of parades and pot luck recitals for the parents.

ReplySendWatch