Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

What is the difference between devolope and brushing your leg up in a leap
By MadiSpins12
On Tue Jul 09, 2013 08:52 PM

My teacher always says I'm doing devolope and not brushing up but what is the difference?

3 Replies to What is the difference between devolope and brushing your leg up in a leap

re: What is the difference between devolope and brushing your leg up in a leap
By gottadance12member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 09, 2013 09:37 PM
I assume you are talking about a split leap/grande jete? Doing a split leap with a develope involves unfolding the front leg as you take off.. i.e. bending the knee and stretching it as you leap. A split leap with a brush is done by brushing/sliding the front leg off the floor, keeping it straight throughout the entire movement (until landing).

If you take ballet, this should be easy to remember by thinking of develope exercises at the barre or in centre. In a split leap with develope, your leg is essentially replicating this movement.

Typically, grande jetes in ballet class are done with a brush, while jazz/lyrical styles will use a develope, but of course this is not always the case. In my experience, it has always been the teacher/choreographers choice of which type they want in a certain piece or exercise.

Example of develope:www.youtube.com . . .

I can't find a great example of a grand jete with a brush but this is the closest I can find:www.youtube.com . . .

Hope that helps
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 14, 2013 09:37 PM
Developpe - your foot goes through passe (foot-to-knee) and then extends forward.

Brush - your foot performs a degage then extends with a completely straight knee (similar to a battement).

In jazz, a leap that includes a developpe is often called a saut de chat. Both versions are commonly called a grande jetes.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 01:11 PM
Panic has it right. So it's less confusing, I teach my students that a grande jete is performed with a straight leg, and you brush off the floor. It comes from a grande battement. A saut de chat goes from a bent leg to a straight leg. It comes from a passe. After looking at some Youtube videos, it seems that a lot of people call the kind that comes from a passe a grande jete. But I've always been taught grande jete brushes, and saut de chat developpes.

Example of a saut de chat: youtu.be . . .
Example of a grande jete: youtu.be . . .

ReplySendWatch