Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 10 of 121 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
re: Soundwave Superior
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat Jan 17, 2015 09:51 AM
So I'm assuming from your other post that you took the children's librarian job? If so, I'm really glad. It may be less money, but now that I'm on the other side of the library school game (graduated in December, had a legit librarian job lined up beforehand), anything you do that is closer to "real" librarian work will help you immensely. I know that every institution is different, but at ours, circulation managers don't need a MLIS because they are focused more on the management side. Programming is like the holy grail of job skills, because it's basically impossible to do in a classroom. I took a youth services class and really struggled with the programming assignment.

I took a big pay cut to take on an internship and that internship (the skills it taught me and the connections I made) is why I have a job. It was well worth the lean months, financially speaking!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:35 AM
Yes! I took the job. I'll be done with my MLIS in December of this year. I'm hoping that a full time job will come up soon after, but I have my doubts. I might have to look into other library systems.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Jan 25, 2015 04:08 PM
Books Read So Far (2015):
1. Gravitation, the novel
2. Choke
3. Pandora
4. The Vampire Armand
On Mon Jan 26, 2015 09:41 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-01-26 21:45:17
2. Choke
3. Pandora
4. The Vampire Armand
5. Star Wars: A New Dawn
6. The Martian
On Tue Jan 27, 2015 09:47 PM
After taking three spin classes my legs are finally not sore. With my gym membership I get two free private training sessions, I had my first today. First bit was just talking about goals etc. She said I need to eat more protein and drink more water. I finally learned how to do a push up!

I'm thinking about signing up for one of their programs. It is 6 weeks three times a week and its only 5 people in the class. It's $329, which is a good deal.
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 PM
So I signed up for that program. It starts on Tuesday (it is mostly on my days off!). I had my last free private training session today. She wrote me out a workout to do on my own (using TRX straps and a Bosu), for strengthening. I'll do that on my own when I get off work.

She gave me a lot of good information about nutrition. I told my mom some of it and that was a terrible idea. I did convince her to buy some more eggs with the groceries so I can have eggs for breakfast instead of pop-tarts or cereal or frozen waffles. She thinks I'm really weird because I want to buy Goji berries. The trainer (also a nutritionist) told me about them and I think they would be a good thing to eat at work instead of my Skinny Cow chocolates. I'm going to buy some tomorrow (I called the store to make sure they sold them, I was skeptical). The trainer also suggested drinking a gallon of water a day, and to buy gallon jugs of water and drink from it all day (I did add that to the grocery list), I think that might help me drink less diet pop. If I have a drink near me, I'll drink it.

I'll be at the gym 5 days a week. I might do a spin class after the program, but it will depend on how it goes. The program is for weight-loss and they said you typically lose 10% of your body weight, which would put me half way to my goal. I don't know if doing the other stuff along with it would effect that.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 PM
Have you tried Gogi berries? Buy a small bag...not a big one. They have an.....aquired .. ... taste.
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:43 PM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

Have you tried Gogi berries? Buy a small bag...not a big one. They have an.....aquired .. ... taste.

Not yet! If I don't like them I figure I can bury them in yogurt (or trick my dad into thinking they are raisins). I've been trying to find out what they taste like, but nothing I've found has had a good description (and they are all conflicting).
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:48 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2015-01-29 23:51:46
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2015-01-29 23:53:48
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2015-01-29 23:55:36
You can't trick your way into it being raisins...nor can you bury it in yogurt. I would say, to bury the taste....you need to put it into a smoothie. They taste super sweet, but has a gross distinct flavor that I dislike, I wouldn't be eating them by the handful to snack on them!

This is coming from someone who jumps on the bandwagon for trendy new health food stuff, it is a hobby of mine.
I've tried far more grosser things, but I would rather eat those instead of eating a handful of Goji berries. They are a distinct sweetness to them, they are too sweet for me,. I've cut out sugar from my diet, so even fruits in general taste super sweet to me. That could be part of the reason!

Do you have authentic Chinese places near you? If you drink Chinese soup, there is usually a distinct flavor in it. I had no idea what that flavor was, but as soon as I ate a Goji berry, I KNEW that is what was in the soup!

It tastes a bit like Star Anise.
Let me know what you think of Gogi berries! I am super curious how you like them.
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 PM
I'll let you know! I will be buying some tomorrow. I like to try new food, but there are somethings I just cannot stand, hopefully I'll like this.

I'm also going to buy a fitness tracker (the Jawbone Up24).
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 PM
I am the opposite, I really like Goji Berries and eat them my the handful! I have containers of snackable food on my desk at work, a container of nuts, a container of dried fruits etc so that there is always something on hand (and I don't go and buy chocolate ;)).

And what about buying a bottle with a filter, then you don't need to buy jugs of water, just one and filter the water if you don't like tap water?
On Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:16 AM
Tishwah wrote:

I am the opposite, I really like Goji Berries and eat them my the handful! I have containers of snackable food on my desk at work, a container of nuts, a container of dried fruits etc so that there is always something on hand (and I don't go and buy chocolate ;)).

And what about buying a bottle with a filter, then you don't need to buy jugs of water, just one and filter the water if you don't like tap water?

I actually prefer tap water, but the tap water in the town I work is not safe to drink...well, I think *technically* it is okay but I've been strongly advised against it (we have a brita pitcher in the fridge, but I don't know if I should trust it). I could probably refill a jug a few times with the tap water from where I live. I like the idea of have all the water with me at once, because then I don't have to keep track.
On Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:19 AM
I have a Jawbone up! Love the sleep tracker on it.
On Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:27 AM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

I have a Jawbone up! Love the sleep tracker on it.

I'm debating on if I should get the small or medium. My wrist is exactly 6 inches around, which is the cut-off of the small and the beginning of the medium.

I like all of the features it has, it looks very useful. Plus, I think it looks cooler than the Fitbit. I'm going to get the navy blue one.
On Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:37 AM
majere wrote:

Tishwah wrote:

I actually prefer tap water, but the tap water in the town I work is not safe to drink...well, I think *technically* it is okay but I've been strongly advised against it (we have a brita pitcher in the fridge, but I don't know if I should trust it). I could probably refill a jug a few times with the tap water from where I live. I like the idea of have all the water with me at once, because then I don't have to keep track.

Fair enough on both counts! I would be buying water if it wasn't safe to drink too. I need to do a Gallon/Litre conversion to work out how much it is. Something that helped me drink more water was always having it on hand.
re: Soundwave Superior (karma: 1)
On Fri Jan 30, 2015 02:48 PM
A gallon is almost 4 liters.

So, goji berries. Not bad. They are different, but not gross. Kinda like a raisin but not as juicy.
On Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:04 PM
So, I drank a gallon of water today. I only drank three cans of diet pop (my morning caffeine, with lunch and with dinner).

It begins tomorrow. Early mornings aren't my thing, but I'll tolerate it for a good cause.

I showed my mom the meal plan. She said, "You'll lose weight if you do that; but you'd also lose weight if you did what I told you."

I had to go buy chocolate milk and Think Thin bars. The store didn't have skim chocolate milk in the brand I wanted to buy (TruMoo), so I got 1%. Supposed to drink a 12oz glass after working out, that's 210 calories - but the point is the protein.
On Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:37 PM
Could you drink tea rather than a cola product if it is the caffeine you are craving? Full of antioxidants and good for you (particularly green tea). I know I am a tea addict, but when I am craving a sugary drink (in Australia we say a Fizzy Drink rather than Pop ;)) I drink a cup of tea instead.
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 04:02 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-02-03 16:18:57
Tishwah wrote:

Could you drink tea rather than a cola product if it is the caffeine you are craving? Full of antioxidants and good for you (particularly green tea). I know I am a tea addict, but when I am craving a sugary drink (in Australia we say a Fizzy Drink rather than Pop ;)) I drink a cup of tea instead.

I don't like tea. Or rather, I've never drank a tea that I liked. Even tea with a ton of sugar in it. Ditto for coffee.

edit: Thought I might actually say what the work out was like. The first 30 minutes was just everyone getting measured and weighed (now I know my scale at home is accurate, or at least says the same thing the fancy electronic one up there says). Jumped rope. There are stairs in the gym, we used those: ran up, skipped a step, did three steps at a time, jumped up them, etc. Did burpees, did some other stuff but I don't know what they are called.
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:03 PM
I am ok with the fact that some people don't like tea, but if you want to try again, good tea, not teabag tea, good quality tea, in a teapot, no sugar (maybe even no milk). When I was a kid my grandma used to make me hellishly sweet milky tea and I hated it. Refused to drink tea, said it was horrible. Then one day I drank unsweetened, black, Russian Caravan tea from a teapot, and it changed my world! But I don't like mushrooms and some people find that weird and tell me just to keep trying, and I don't need to, so don't let me pressure you into drinking tea either ;)
On Fri Feb 06, 2015 08:33 AM
2. Choke (audio)
3. Pandora
4. The Vampire Armand
5. Star Wars: A New Dawn (audio)
6. The Martian
7. Bossypants (audio)

I'm so behind on my reading, but my brain has been so scattered lately.
On Fri Feb 06, 2015 06:51 PM
2. Choke (audio)
3. Pandora
4. The Vampire Armand
6. The Martian
7. Bossypants (audio
8. Jack Reacher's Rules
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 09:56 PM
2. Choke (audio)
3. Pandora
4. The Vampire Armand
6. The Martian
7. Bossypants (audio)
8. Jack Reacher's Rules
9. GO: A Kidds Guide to Graphic Design

That one was for school.
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 03:05 PM
A wrecker hit my car. I was slowed on the highway (there was a wreck on the side of the road) trying to exit onto another highway and this wrecker (tow truck) crossed over the safety zone (the stripes on the road) and hit the side of my car. Luckily the state trooper that was dealing with the other wreck saw it happen (he said they were trying to blame me, but he saw it happen). Luckily we were going slow because of the other wreck (like 5 mph, if that, he was probably going faster).

My shadows look weird because I had my purse and a big jacket on...
On Sat Feb 14, 2015 09:14 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-02-14 21:22:13
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-02-14 21:24:06
2. Choke (audio)
3. Pandora
4. The Vampire Armand
6. The Martian
7. Bossypants (audio)
8. Jack Reacher's Rules
9. GO: A Kidds Guide to Graphic Design
10. Kennedy's Last Days

Also for school.

---

At work I got a Valentine from Hannibal Lecter. I have no idea who sent it. (Obviously an employee, we have a staff association and for holidays do candy grams).
Page:
Page 10 of 121 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

ReplySendWatch