Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Jul 17, 2013 02:35 PM

Are there any legends or myths you believe MAY have happened or actually exists? Atlantis, Bigfoot, UFO's, Bermuda Triangle, Mayan Calendar predictions...

I feel that Atlantis may have existed at one point. I read up a lot of Plato maybe using it as a political theory, but I do think that it may have existed.

* I am putting this in the religion section because some people consider purgatory, Jesus and other religious things a "myth" so we can discuss those things too.

20 Replies to Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened?

re: Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened?
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Wed Jul 17, 2013 03:50 PM
I was a Classics major in college, so I read up on some theories regarding historical Atlantis that I particularly adhere to. Many of the imagery surrounding Atlantis has roots in ancient Minoan life on the island of Crete, especially the advanced technology and developed cultural aspects (art, dance, government, etc.). There is archaeological evidence that when the island that is now called Santorini exploded in a volcanic eruption, that Crete and the Minoans suffered greatly in terms of floods, tsunami, and poor weather caused by the blast, which in turn appear to be a starting point in Minoan economic ruin and eventual downfall.
TL;DR - I believe a form of Atlantis did exist, though nowhere near as impressive as some of the modern day images.

From what I've read in the past, there is evidence of immense flooding in the Middle East around the estimated time of Noah's existence. Though I don't feel that it was a worldwide phenomenon, to those who initially told the story it was likely that the flood was affecting the whole realm of their existences - their 'world', as it were - and so from there the tale of a worldwide flood was born.
re: Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jul 17, 2013 09:01 PM
UFOs, well aliens. The universe is infinite, we can't be it.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Jul 17, 2013 09:13 PM
Well, I'm both an atheist and a skeptic, sooooo ;)

I definitely believe that there is life on other planets, probably even advanced life.

I don't believe in Atlantis, but it's my pet myth. I WANT it to have happened :P

Ditto the Loch Ness Monster.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Jul 17, 2013 09:20 PM
I live in the Bermuda Triangle, so those stories make me laugh. I remember watching an episode of In Search Of about the Bermuda Triangle when I was about 6 years old. From then on, every time we'd go out on the boat, I was afraid a big whirlpool would suck us down or a freak magnetic storm would sink our boat. lol.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Wed Jul 17, 2013 09:35 PM
There is a part of me that believes there most be some other kind of intelligent life in the universe somewhere. However I'm not a foil-cap wearing believer in little green men or anything like that,
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Jul 21, 2013 09:39 AM
Non-religious skeptic here! :P However the myth of Rasputin's mystic power makes my skin crawl and I want to shrink into my bed every time I think of it. He was poisoned and shot multiple times, but died from drowning when they rolled him up in a carpet and threw him into the river! So creepy...

Also a lot of the sea myths I like to believe in, but don't actually think are true. I just think Loch Ness, the underwater sea dinosaur, is kinda cute. :)
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Mon Jul 22, 2013 04:02 AM
Another one who secretly wishes Atlantis actually existed. No logical reason why, just always been fascinated by it as a kid.

I think it's more reasonable to assume that there's life on other planets than to think we're alone. The universe is so vast that we may not ever run into anything, but that doesn't make it any less likely.
re: Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened? (karma: 2)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Jul 22, 2013 01:56 PM
There is speculation that Mt. Sinai in the Bible may have actually been the Great Pyramid. I would so love to believe that because there is nothing in the Bible about the pyramids and as old as they are and as notable, it seems strange they were completely left out.

kk~
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 08:35 AM
The problem with that theory, KK, is that by the time we reach Mt. Sinai in the bible, we've already left Egypt behind.
re: Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened? (karma: 1)
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:15 PM
I live in Bigfoot country. That thing is out there. There is a contest going on right now in which participants have to bring back DNA evidence so I am eager to see what they come up with.
I remember the Bermuda Triangle episode of "In search of". Scared me too! That was a creepy show and always came on at bedtime.. I loved it!
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 02:10 PM
^^ was Leonard Nimoy hosting it? I think I saw episodes on that show on Hulu. but it seems as if Hulu is now rotating its' shows around.

I believe in the plague of locusts, especially if one has lived in the Mid United States. There was talk in Laura Ingalls Wilder's book about the grasshoppers that came and ate everything in sight.
two years in a row!

Atlantis? Sure! well, I HOPE.
Could it have been submerged by the glaciers melting?

There are portions of Venice where the water level is higher than it's ever been.

I think we have some scientific proof on the UFOs. The big lights that buzzed California, etc.

PBS did a special on the Bermuda Triangle... and there have been plenty of old monster movies about it. All I know is that the two wonderful times I went to Bermuda we seemed to be drawn there as if Bermuda was a magnet.

I'm surprised there aren't more mysteries about Cape Horn and the Grand Banks.

Just my .02. :)

Chris! Creature Double Feature!
Image hotlink - 'http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ-VzXNSS-jC6kBJV613s-65Tx_QB3eyF78TWBAM5lVrSAllgl'
re: Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened? (karma: 1)
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 05:17 PM
Leonard Nimoy, yes. Here it is on youtube www.youtube.com . . .
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 09:58 PM
I also would really like Atlantis to be true. Another thing I kind of want to be true but am also kind of scared of is Area 51. My brother has been there several times for work but he can't say what he works on due to his security clearance. I know what he does so I know it has nothing to do with aliens, but we like to joke about it. He is so good at joking about it, though, that I almost believe it *is* about aliens. I even had a coworker a couple years ago that liked to torture me by talking about "reptilian" people or whatever. Although I don't believe the really out there theories, it still terrifies me and part of me believes there is other intelligent life somewhere in the universe.

There is one conspiracy theory that did really get me, though. I still can't decide if I believe it or not, but I think it is mostly because I have a hard time accepting that I *could* believe a conspiracy theory. Anyway, we know now what has come out about MKUltra, and I wonder if there really were some people who were somehow brainwashed to kill someone (such as the JFK assassination). I saw this UK TV series where this guy was apparently really good at hypnotising people. On the show he (allegedly) brainwashed people and got them to rob an armored car. Then he got a guy to go into a trance in a theatre and then once he saw the trigger or whatever, he stood up, took a gun out and shot at the guy on stage (it happened to be Stephen Fry, who was in on it, in case anyone else saw this). Of course it was all set up, so there were no bullets in the gun and after the guy was taken out of the trance he didn't remember any of it. Supposedly the guy was really freaked out and had to go through therapy. Does ANYONE else know what show I am talking about? Anyway... made me think... what if...
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:41 PM
^ I saw that show - Derren Brown's "Assassination" Experiment - it was very interesting!

I believe that we can't possibly be the only intelligent life in the universe, or even the galaxy. But maybe the scientists are being a little myopic in only looking for carbon-based lifeforms like us. (And they haven't buzzed us because they either haven't developed the technology to do so, or they have better things to do with their time.)
By Giselle55member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 655, member since Thu Apr 08, 2004
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 01:27 AM
You guys REALLY want to blow your minds? Look up L.A. Marzulli on youtube.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 06:31 AM
I honestly believe (due to some insider information) that we (the U.S government) shot the plane down on 9/11 that was headed to the Pentagon. The people on board didn't down it themselves. I am not one for conspiracy theories, but that one I believe due to a person we know that was in the vicinity.
re: Are there any theories or "myths" that you actually believe MAY have happened? (karma: 2)
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 07:19 AM
I don't really spend my time preoccupied with conspiracy theories about the government (since there's already so much goes on that's horrifyingly true), but if a story came out tomorrow definitively linking the U.S. Government to the assassination of JFK I don't think I'd be too shocked. There's already been civil trials and testimonies from people such as Loyd Jowers to suggest the government was involved with MLK's assassination. Not to mention the work done by the FBI and CIA to brutally and fatally suppress political groups during the 20th-C, I have no doubt in my mind the government could and would orchestrate something like that even against the president if they didn't like the direction he was headed...

Aliens of course - as in, life outside Earth - must be real in some form. Like majere said, the universe is so vast and there's no way we're the only beings in it. Now, whether or not they've made appearances on Earth... eh, I'm less inclined to believe that.
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 PM
Ummm....

Plenty of things, I guess.

-that the US gov't was responsible for MLK's assassination
- aliens, as in life on other planets. The universe is too vast for us to be alone
- Toeing the line between theology and philosophy, I'm not religious but I do believe the Big Bang and everything that led to us being here today was initiated by some sort of higher power, God perhaps. It seems so farfetched that so many tiny things (photosynthesis, for example) should be due to chance.
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 04:35 PM
I believe there is life on other planets, and I'd love to believe the Roswell/Area 51 myths but I don't really know (lol - "I want to believe" - yes I am a huge X-Files fan) Anyway, it makes me sad that I will probably never really know the answer. Years ago SETI was asking people to let them use home computers to scan all the information they were getting for signs of other life, I really wanted to do that!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 08:22 PM
For the Atlantis myth, the Santorini evidence fits really well. Not only do geological findings fit, but the Egyptians wrote about it. Those ships which were at sea on trading missions and were spared, went to their powerful trading partners, the Egyptians, to ask for help. There wasn't much the Egyptians could do. I believe Atlantis is too persistent a myth for it not to be based in fact.

The Great Flood -- another myth which is recounted by various peoples. There is an underwater "shoreline" in the Black Sea with remains of shells etc. which are found only at a shoreline, plus remnants of civilizations close to that shoreline -- all now underwater. If you look at a map of the world you can see that the Black Sea is close enough to the Mediterranean that earthquakes and/or deluges cutting channels could break through the fragile barriers. And who knows what other small lakes, in addition, would have been affected. Ancient people built their communities around bodies of water. They had to. So a disaster of this type would have wiped "everybody" out.

As for Noah -- I dunno. I picture a sailor/shipbuilder who became a farmer and built his barn modeled after what he knew of shipbuilding. Maybe a 2-story at the side of a hill -- sort if a split-level with a 2nd story for hay like modern barns -- and you could walk in from behind on the hillside. And come the flood, well, it floated. With all sorts of wild animals, too, scrambling aboard at the last minute.

ReplySendWatch