Forum: Arts / Body Art

Body Art
Matching tattoos
By ScotchGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5324, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 AM

I'm fully aware of the risks and horror stories associated with relationship tattoos, but I have been considering it a bit. Don't worry, if it happens it won't be until at least winter break, since I'm in school until then. I have a few tattoos and my boyfriend has always been open to getting one some day. He's not the type that really brings up ideas like this (I'm the creative one) so I would be the one to mention it. It occurred to me I have no idea how to propose that idea without it sounding like an act of insecurity on my part. It definitely isn't, but how do you go about seeing if someone is interested in it?

4 Replies to Matching tattoos

re: Matching tattoos
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:56 AM
Yeeeeahhh there's a reason why it's awkward to bring up: it's because it's a terrible idea.

Get tattooed at the same time if you wish with different designs, but since most relationships end up in the crapper, a tattoo that matches with someone you could potentially not want to see ever again has the power to be really emotionally painful. Or, if you decide to get it lasered off later--physically painful.

Don't do it.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 02:19 PM
I recently heard of a friend of a friend who just turned 70 years old getting her first tattoo for her 50th wedding anniversary. An "old school" heart with their names and "Forever" on it. I think that is freaking awesome. Everyone and everything else, I think relationship tattoos are a horrible idea.

As for your actual question if you think this is such an awesome idea, you should be prepared to defend it and have a good reason that isn't insecurity that you can explain to your boyfriend.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Jul 26, 2013 08:00 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if you guys decided to do something else together? Maybe plant a tree together, carve your names in stone etc.

If he doesn't have a tattoo yet, I have a feeling he wouldn't be interested in getting matching tattoos. I feel that people who have a strong interest in tattoos would have already gotten one by the time they reach their mid 20's.

If you want to bring it up, make sure he knows he can veto the idea without feeling pressured. If my bf came to me with an idea I thought was bad, I would have a harder time saying "no" if I felt like I was going to get a huge guilt trip.

I would say something like " Hey, I was wondering what you thought about couples getting matching tattoos. Is that something that would interest you?"
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 AM
I DO have a matching tattoo (Hubby and I got matching wedding ring tattoos for our 1st wedding anniversary), but there have been times where I've been perilously close to getting it removed... And I'm MARRIED. If your relationship is at a point that you're not sure it's a permanent thing, I'd avoid getting a tattoo that WOULD be a permanent reminder of the relationship. You have plenty of time to get it if your relationship evolves into a healthy, permanent thing, but until then...

There are plenty of things you two can do to bond, but getting matching tattoos is just all-around a bad idea.

ReplySendWatch