Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: How much do you guys spend on groceries a month?
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sat Jul 27, 2013 05:25 PM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

The food usually goes bad in our fridge within 4-6 days. We do have a leaky fridge, so maybe thats part of the problem...It is mostly the produce going bad.

I also have an irrational fear of food poisoning, so I throw out anything that "might" be old.

Sounds like maybe you need to replace the gaskets on your fridge. It will run much more efficiently and keep your food at the proper temperature so that it doesn't spoil so soon. I just had this done a few months ago. I think between the service call and the gaskets I paid around $200. It was well worth it.

You can google for a list of foods and when each should be thrown out. Maybe that would help allay your fears and keep you from throwing things out unnecessarily.

You might be better off planning 2 or 3 days' meals at a time and shopping for those. I never cook for 2, even though it's usually just my daughter and me these days. I always make enough for at least 4. Then I have leftovers I can use as the base for another dinner 2 nights later, or just to take for lunches. I usually shop twice a week. I don't want to know on Sunday what I'm going to have for dinner on Friday. I get why people do this, but that's way too regimented for me.

Always shop from a list. It's the impulse purchases that will sink your grocery budget. It's best not to go to the grocery store when you are hungry as you are more likely to over-buy then.

As others have said, the dishwasher will sterilize your sponges. I toss them in the top rack every time I run it. I love paper towels for certain tasks but I also use cloth. I use about one roll of paper towels per week, and I know I could use less. A roll a day is pretty extreme. Old tee shirts make great rags, as do old towels that aren't nice enough for the bathrooms anymore.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes awhile to learn what's going to work best for you and your boyfriend. Have fun experimenting.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sat Jul 27, 2013 07:23 PM
We spend an average of $150 per week for three of us (plus pets). This covers food, pet food, baby products, personal care and cleaning products.

It boggles my mind how you got through 1-2 rolls of paper towel per day - we're lucky to go through a roll a month! Use teatowels/dish cloths/dish rags to clean surfaces, wipe up spills etc then throw them in the wash. If you don't have a dishwasher, a bit of bleach cleaner will help keep the sponge bacteria-free (bonus if you're using said bleach cleaner to clean the stovetop or bench), but it's best to let it dry out between uses and throw it out/get a new one when it's getting manky.

(BTW, kudos for getting your BF to stop using paper plates. I don't get why people prefer them to real dishes. Sure it's less washing up, but it's expensive and so bad for the environment!)

You definitely need a new fridge (or your current one repaired) sooner rather than later. If the budget doesn't stretch that far, go shopping every couple of days, and only buy two or three days worth of produce you know you'll use. Go through your cupboards before you go shopping to see what you need now vs what will run out in a week or so, and only put what you need on the list. And stick to the list!
By Sakura_Efreet Comments: 707, member since Fri May 02, 2008
On Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 PM
YumYumDoughnut wrote:

I usually spray cleaner on my counters 3 times a day, and I always get paranoid that the dish rag will "soak" up the cleaning solution. And I hate using sponges for cleaning because I feel like they hold bacteria in. I guess I just need to get over my wierd little quirks.

I am a clinically diagnosed OCD germaphobe. I just moved in with new roommates, and I freaked when I saw that they use their sponge and don't clean it after every use, or even run it under hot water. Studies show that sponges are one of the germiest items in a kitchen.

I literally can't afford to buy my own sponges right now (times are very, very tough), so I just nuke the sponge for 30 seconds in the microwave before every use. It is supposed to kill everything bad. Just be careful if you try this, because it is hot! It really needs to sit for a minute before you use it.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:32 PM
About $400 a month. It would be less but my husband has food allergies and I have to work around that. No 50-cent mac and cheese boxes for us :(
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Tue Jul 30, 2013 01:04 PM
400$ for both of us. That includes all our food, some alcohol, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, shampoo and soap.

We shop at Costco for things like bread (that I freeze), rice, condiments, alcohol and meat. We go every 2-3 weeks. Buying in bulk really saves us money. Also, the better quality of food I buy, the less I feel the need to go to the restaurant. I rarely buy anything that is already prepared, except Popsicles and pickled veggies. I also receive a basket of organic vegetables and fruits every week from a farmer. Some weeks there are a lot of veggies in there, so I plan my meals around them. Or I blanch them and freeze them. We also always cook double portions so we have a lunch for the next day. I almost never ever buy lunch at work.

We eat out maybe once every two weeks. I go out for drinks sometimes, but we mostly go to house parties where we can bring our alcohol. Since we buy it in bulk, it is really cheap. If I go to a club, I bring a drink in a water bottle and drink before entering the club so I don't have to spend too much inside.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Tue Jul 30, 2013 01:24 PM
Probably $200 a month for 2 of us. I love to cook from scratch and am constantly coming up with new combinations. Our alcohol lasts us a long time because we don't drink a lot. We each use electric razors and we also cut coupons. We pretty much only buy what's on sale. I also make a lot of casseroles and stuff in the crock pot for healthy, cheap meals that last us a few days. We stock up on meat when it's on sale because we have a vacuum sealer and just freeze it. We do have boxed mac and cheese on hand if we don't want to do something complicated. You'd be surprised how well you can dress up a box of mac and cheese.

For good deals on meat, go to Sam's or Costco, that's where we get our beef from. We got a whole tenderloin filet (long strip of filet mignon) for like $80, we STILL have 5-6 portions left. We also buy frozen fish, last night, we got some ahi tuna steaks for $5 because they're frozen.

Instead of only buying thighs, breasts or legs, we buy the whole chicken, bake it and then use the leftovers in a casserole or soup.

For our pets, we spend probably around $40/month on the good premium food, we buy in bulk because it's cheaper and lasts about 2 months. For our cat, we spend $40 every 3 months because she doesn't eat much, again, we buy the premium food.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Tue Jul 30, 2013 04:12 PM
Keep in mind that I don't live in an expensive part of the country, but I pay about $250/month for groceries for our family of five. Breakfast is (almost) always cereal, except on Sundays when we make a big to-do about it, and lunch is pretty much always sandwiches- MWF we do PB&J, TT we do bologna and american. Dinner is ALL over the map, and usually the only meal we all eat together. It's generally made from scratch, although when I'm busy or gone most of the day I totally embrace hamburger helper and mac and cheese.

Growing up, my family almost always overbought produce and the majority of it would go to waste. I would suggest possibly trying to have dried or frozen fruits and veggies to use for cooking instead of fresh, and only buy a limited amount of fresh items. Another way might be to track your produce consumption and use that as a baseline for what you might need. Produce is relatively expensive, and when you buy more than you can use it's just like tossing money into the garbage.

Another favorite method of mine to keep things fresh longer is to prepare it (like dicing a whole bag of onions) and freezing it so it's already prepared and good to go for cooking. That way, there's not much of a chance for it going bad, and it makes my future meal prep a lot easier!
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Thu Aug 01, 2013 08:07 AM
Had to come back and update this. I went shopping yesterday and spent $182 for two weeks. I had to keep telling myself this is the first time I've been shopping in a month, AND we were out of everything including cleaning supplies and dog food. So I suppose my total wasn't as bad as it could be. I did however forget to buy brown sugar so I'll have to run somewhere to get that (trust me, it's a necessity since I put it in my coffee!).
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:33 PM
In college I split grocery costs with my roommate since we cooked together.

We spent about $200 per month on groceries. TP and paper towels were bought at Costco and stashed so they didn't average out to be too much. Personal toiletries were separate. I obviously spend much more since I'm a girl lol.

Now I do about half the grocery shopping at home (living with parents) and we average about $500 for a family of four. Asian supermarkets FTW. :P
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:49 PM
I actually used cash for my purchases instead of my credit card and really watched what I spent this week.

I only spent $80 this WHOLE WEEK!!!!
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Fri Aug 02, 2013 01:03 PM
Edited by Live_on_Broadway (42627) on 2013-08-02 13:04:35
I spend about $250 a month on groceries for just myself. (Sometimes I cook for my boyfriend.) I try to look for deals, but I also don't mind spending more on organic dairy or fresh produce.

I'm terrible for letting food go bad, though. Luckily, my boyfriend will eat pretty much anything, so he regularly clears out my fridge for me, haha.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:42 AM
Too freakin' much. Probably $1000, but I feed from 3 to 6 adults. That includes bathroom products, cleaning supplies and paper goods. I can't get out of the store for under $200, so I try not to go more than once a week.

kk~
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:46 AM
We eat mostly whole or raw organic foods and very few processed foods, salmon, and excellent wines.

Eating healthy is MUCH more expensive in the Wash, DC metro area than in some other areas (I know Hawaii is very expensive too).

If you want to eat healthy and NOT eat processed foods, its painful at the cash register.

There is only hubby and I at home (although we have a number of kids and grandkids that pop in at least once a week that we feed).

That being said, it's probably $200 or $300 a week.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Aug 06, 2013 06:30 AM
I feel horrible looking at everyone's comments saying they spend $200 a month or $400 a month.

I spend like...$300 a week, for 2 people and a very fussy doggy (his food is about $100 p/m - anywhere between $30 - $40 per week, I can't abandon my dog show ways and still feed him the best organic kibble and make sure to make my own dog food from fresh ingredients usually cheap meat cuts with fat removed). Wooo! AUSTRALIA! When I'm feeling really poor I have to drive out to Aldi or drive even further to the food markets or China town but it's just inconvenient most times because I have very little time between full time study at a uni 2 hours away from my home and working 2 jobs.

:'(
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Aug 06, 2013 08:32 AM
When I lived on campus at my alma mater I only spent ~$80 every 3 weeks to a month just for myself.

I'll be moving to the city in a month, however, and I certainly expect that to change. Jewel Osco is overpriced enough in my hometown, but looking at the city prices is enough to make my gasp.
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3559, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:18 AM
For three adults and two dogs (not including their food, just treats) we were spending close to $200/week. That is WAY too much money, so we've cut back a lot to $150/week, maybe a bit more if detergent, toilet paper, etc is needed.
We tend to stick to what is on sale and we eat pretty basic meals, nothing fancy here.

I'm in Ontario, Canada and I thought food was expensive here but looking through the thread I guess that's the norm now.
By AprilMaria Comments: 23, member since Mon Jul 29, 2013
On Fri Aug 16, 2013 08:36 PM
well for a family of 6 to 8 and some times 10 people (depending if we have my partners daughter and her brother, or other relatives staying with us for awhile) I can feed them for between 160 and 180 Euros a month. Thats mostly because we don't buy junk food and every one in the house can bake bread and confectionery and we can all cook. Thats because i get bread for 70c, a 3litre bottle of milk for 2.19, 7.5kg of spuds for 7.49 and 500g of butter for 2 euro and i either get a huge 20 euro family meal deal from a butcher in the city that does the dinners for 2 weeks and a kg of sugar with 20 per cent extra free for 1 euro and 20 eggs for 2.50 but that means i take 3 hours and multiple shops to do my shopping.
By AprilMaria Comments: 23, member since Mon Jul 29, 2013
On Fri Aug 16, 2013 08:45 PM
oh and i forgot to add, some times i don't have to pay for meat at all because my uncle breeds pigs and if hes killing some i get my choice of meat and sometimes even a whole carcass. I also have 8 dogs and i can get 15kg of dry dog food for 10.25 in Kerry agribusiness its called red mills purebred, if any one wants to get it, they have it in Herbertstown but not in Killmallock or Charleville for any one local who might need some.
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1920, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 AM
Less than $300/ month for two of us. Possibly closer to $200, but $300 would be the upper end. The freezer is my best friend! I cook for a week over the weekend, and save it in the freezer (or fridge if it will be used within a few days). Then we just thaw out dinner every evening when we get home. We never eat out (or get take-out), and use cloths/ sponges for all cleaning.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch