Forum: Arts / Books

Books
Looking for a good new books, can't have read them all, please help DDN!
By misslibby Comments: 299, member since Thu Oct 18, 2007
On Wed Aug 07, 2013 07:39 PM

I feel like I've read about a thousand books this year, I don't sleep much and I don't get very excited about TV unless it's a good movie so I love to read! But I keep reading terrible books!! I will read anything but science fiction, it just doesn't float my boat. And nothing scary or I'll never sleep! Please give me some pointers as to what's good in books this year. Thanks so much.

9 Replies to Looking for a good new books, can't have read them all, please help DDN!

re: Looking for a good new books, can't have read them all, please help DDN!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Aug 07, 2013 09:21 PM
If you take a look at my diary you'll see the list of books I have read so far this year. I've enjoyed them all.
By colleeflower28 Comments: 236, member since Sat Feb 21, 2004
On Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:14 PM
Still Alice is a great book but not new this year so perhaps one you have already read
By MollyPitcher Comments: 55, member since Tue Jul 30, 2013
On Fri Aug 23, 2013 09:10 AM
Chime is a really good book.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Fri Aug 23, 2013 04:46 PM
I am almost finished with The Night Circus which was my summer reading this year and I love it! I would definitely recommend it. Also, you should sign up for goodreads.com if you haven't already, it is pretty easy to find a good recommended book. If you are like me you might spend more time putting books on your "to-read" list than you actually spend time reading!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Aug 23, 2013 06:12 PM
My favourite bit of trash from this summer was "Crazy Rich Asians" by Kevin Kwan. If you're wanting something a bit more literary though, I also just read and enjoyed "Flight Behaviour" by Barbara Kingsolver and "The Restoration Artist" by Lewis De Soto.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Aug 24, 2013 08:14 AM
How about a compilation of adventures of actual characters of the past, together with the public's reaction (cheers, laughter, conviction, etc). My favorite is Timberline by Eugene Fowler. "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" is just one chapter.

Others include A More Goodly Country by John B. Sanford and Sons of the Profits by William C. Speidel

And since you don't care for current TV (neither do I), watch older shows on Youtube. Rose Marie is the ultimate tear jerker, especially for someone who has lived in Canada. www.youtube.com . . .

Or if you prefer to laugh, try Die Fledermaus - and you don't need to know German. This version is translated. www.youtube.com . . .
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Aug 24, 2013 09:38 AM
I've just finished reading a biography of Coco Chanel that was really good, it's by Justine Picardie.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Sep 01, 2013 09:00 AM
If you like mystery novels The Murder of Roger Ackeroyd by Agatha Christie is really good. I've just started reading the Kathy Reichs and Iris Johansen books because I love mysteries. If you like classics Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier is a good read and I liked Jane Eyre. I really enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and I would say its similar in style to the classics. If you like quirky fiction, I'd recommend The Eyre Affair by Jasper FForde. It was probably the goofiest book I have ever read and it was refreshing to read something so creative. If you like Young Adult Dystopian stuff, Divergent is excellent. I liked it more than the Matched Series for sure. The Uglies is pretty good too.

Have you signed up for goodreads.com? That's really helped me when I'm searching for the next book I want to read.
By KaydeeJayde Comments: 190, member since Thu Jul 21, 2011
On Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 AM
I enjoyed A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness a great deal, and I'm halfway through the sequel, Shadow of Night.

ReplySendWatch