Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Pas De Deux
Making it Easier for Everyone
By MollyPitcher Comments: 55, member since Tue Jul 30, 2013
On Fri Aug 09, 2013 04:23 PM

Hi. This is more of a partnering question then a pas de deux question but it's not exactly Jazz so I don't know where else to put it.

I'm dancing in a musical theater piece to ''We Go Together' from Grease. I have a partner who is around my height, meaning on the shorter side. He might be an inch taller then me. I'm pretty sure he has little dancing experience.

My teacher (who is a little scary) is having me jump on his back. This is not fun for anyone involved for obvious reasons including my weight (two diget range), his strength, and the general awkwardness (which is not a problem for me, but probably is for him.)

Nothing I ca do about the awkwardness but is there any way I can make this easier on both of us? I would prefer him not to fall over. ;)

Thanks!

4 Replies to Making it Easier for Everyone

re: Making it Easier for Everyone
By ElleMcG Comments: 266, member since Sat Apr 13, 2013
On Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:04 AM
Weight... "Two" digit range??? Unless you're a newborn, I would hope so!! Or you have reached a level of anorexia that is unimaginable! Haha!

anyway... Just keep rehearsing until both of you are comfortable with it! Also think of really pulling up off of him and not really resting on him. if that makes any sense!
By RosePremium member Comments: 9216, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 AM
Get to know each other a bit more. Drinking a cup of coffee together after class, can do miracles.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:32 PM
How old are you? I didn't become comfortable dancing with boys until I was 16 and had 7 boys in my ballet class that I did pas de deux with. Before that, it was awkward for me. To that effect, there doesn't even need to be a "reason", you're just uncomfortable because it's unfamiliar.

If you're just standing behind him and then jumping on his back like a piggy back ride, talk about it like a team effort. In order for you two to complete it, you have to jump and push down on his shoulders to get height, and he has to be stable for you and then bend his knees and lean slightly forward as you're landing on him to absorb the energy.

And, even if your teacher is scary--if you need help, all you have to do is say "(TEACHER NAME), could you help us? I'm not sure if we have it right." Ultimately the teacher is there to help you.
By MollyPitcher Comments: 55, member since Tue Jul 30, 2013
On Sat Aug 10, 2013 09:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. To answer questions I'm newly fourteen.

ReplySendWatch