Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
What is used on the inside of baby/children's clothes to cover embroidery?
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 08:50 AM

It's a very fine mesh, it seems like it's ironed on. I need to buy some, but I don't know what it's called. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

4 Replies to What is used on the inside of baby/children's clothes to cover embroidery?

re: What is used on the inside of baby/children's clothes to cover embroidery?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 09:22 AM
I want to say interfacing... But I don't know.
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 09:34 AM
I'm trying to figure out specifically what kind. I saw something that looked similar (batting tape I think?) But it only came in little strips, and I definitely need bigger pieces lol.
re: What is used on the inside of baby/children's clothes to cover embroidery? (karma: 1)
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:53 AM
Edited by Naivohw (78074) on 2013-08-13 00:54:04
Edited by Naivohw (78074) on 2013-08-13 00:57:02
Pellon is a big brand that does all sorts of interfacings and fusible webbing. There's really two possibilities:

1. What you're looking at is the stabilizer that was placed under the fabric when it was embroidered. Stabilizer is what keeps the fabric from shifting during the embroidering. If you can see stitches on top of the mesh material (as in, the thread is going through the cloth on the front, and through the mesh on the back)then stabilizer won't do you any good, unless you plan on doing some embroidery yourself.

2. What your looking at is some sort of secondary interfacing that has been ironed over the embroidery to keep it from chafing. It sounds like this is what it probably is. You'll want to look for any sort of light weight, one sided fusible interfacing. One-sided means that the heat activated adhesive is only on one side of the interfacing material. It should be really common at places like JoAnn Fabrics, Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, etc. Like I said, Pellon is a huge brand for interfacing, and also Heat and Bond (although you want to make sure you are getting fusible interfacing, NOT fusible web, which is a 2 sided webbing used for sticking fabrics to each other) I use a lot of Pellon 911 fusible interfacing, the non-fusible side is very soft, like the fabric that covers heating pads. I know that's an odd comparison but that's what popped into my head :P Hope that helped some.
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:17 AM
^ Thanks! It's the second one. It definitely goes over all the stitching, I would imagine for the comfort of the baby. Heck, embroidery even irritates me, I might add some of this to my own clothes lol. I also figure it protects the stitches during washing and such.

I ended up buying Pellon Easy Knit - it looks and feels like what is on the baby clothes. I'll give it a shot, and if it's not the right stuff, oh well, it was on sale for pretty cheap. I got one yard of it, which should be plenty. If I'm wrong, I'll be back for more help lol.

ReplySendWatch