Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Irish / Irish

Irish
Doherty Belfast and Petri are now the Doherty-Petri School! en>fr fr>en
By Irish4life Comments: 225, member since Wed Sep 21, 2011
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 03:24 PM

So, I was on Facebook and I noticed that Gavin made an announcement saying that his school in Belfast have merged with Petri in the Mid-Atlantic and are now Doherty-Petri. Interesting, as I've never heard of two schools in two separate countries merging before. Though those dancers will have amazing teachers!

Thoughts on the merge?

12 Replies to Doherty Belfast and Petri are now the Doherty-Petri School!

re: Doherty Belfast and Petri are now the Doherty-Petri School! en>fr fr>en
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3399, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 06:32 PM
I was so surprised when I first heard this; I didn't see it coming.
I think they've created one power house school that will surely dominate at majors. I wish all of them the best of luck, although I doubt they need it! haha.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7691, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 06:37 PM
I heard there was going to be some sort of a merger shocker. I think I either read it on Tumblr or on one of the message boards.

Its an interesting merger.
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 174, member since Mon Dec 20, 2010
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 07:50 PM
Definitely a surprise! I mean, they're not the first international school... BFOC is in Ontario and California and there are plenty of schools in Mainland Europe that exist in more than one country. But at least they're on the same continent!

To be honest, I don't really understand the point of merging two already-famous/successful schools from opposite sides of the Atlantic. Seems like a better deal for Petri, since those dancers will presumably be getting free solos like their Doherty counterparts. Anyway, I'm sure everything will come to light eventually.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8456, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 08:10 PM
Wow! That's pretty exciting news for my old school!
By Irish4life Comments: 225, member since Wed Sep 21, 2011
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 PM
AnRinceoirRua- The Doherty dancers get free dresses? Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Yes, I don't really see why but time will tell I guess! Seems like we will just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2039, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:14 PM
Doherty dancers get free dresses? That seems like a big loss on profit for Eire designs. I would imagine they get a discount/priority ordering or something, but free?
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7691, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 06:09 AM
Are the Petris and Gavin going to dress up at majors to match all their champs?

Are they all going to wear coordinating outfits or are they going to pick a potential champ each.

The fashion questions.

I also saw another rumor flying around on the voy boards... Does Gavin design wedding dresses too? Cause can you imagine?
By leafclover86 Comments: 533, member since Wed Jan 12, 2005
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 07:11 AM
Since all the TCs also judge majors could be problematic for their dancers. But time will tell.
By QueenOf_TheDance Comments: 597, member since Thu May 12, 2011
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 07:45 AM
saoirse3473 wrote:

Doherty dancers get free dresses? That seems like a big loss on profit for Eire designs. I would imagine they get a discount/priority ordering or something, but free?

They do get free Gavins. However, when the resell the dress the price is set by Gavin and the money goes to him when it's sold.
At least that's what I've heard, I could be wrong...
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11059, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 08:23 AM
To be frank, I'm not really sure what the point is. In mainland Europe or even the UK/Ireland the distance isn't that far and the dancers may have a chance to practice together. A nine or ten hour flight difference? How are the dancers going to interact in any meaningful way? It's not like they can practice together. If the teachers are flying back and forth (like the Voys seem to think), why not just do workshops? The associations are the same whether it's a merger or an ongoing kind of workshop basis.

It's kind of weird, but they're two massively successful schools, so I'm sure there's some advantage that the teachers see.
By booty74 Comments: 1468, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 08:31 AM
I think its only to have more points from adjudicators ... lol
double the frieds on the panels double the points ...
lets face it they are a million miles from each other . Tactics only i think .
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1701, member since Mon Jan 26, 2004
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 08:59 AM
When my old school started working with an overseas teacher, I believe we were flying him over something like every other week? It's been a long time since that happened so I don't remember all the exact details, but it worked out well enough.

ReplySendWatch