Forum: Arts / Acting

Acting
Being a Couple on Stage
By MollyPitcher Comments: 55, member since Tue Jul 30, 2013
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 08:21 PM

Hi,

I've already posted on the pas de deux forum about the dance bit of this, but now I need help with the acting aspect. My theater summer program and I are doing a dance and singing 'We Go Together' from Grease.

I'm paired up with a guy as one of the three couples (we aren't playing characters from Grease.) who is either my age or a little younger. More then once during the course of the show I have to ride around on his back, which all the problems have been sorted out with. But now my drama teacher says that we look like we hate each other. I'm smiling and standing close to him, and I don't know what else to do.

Any tips?

Thanks to all who reply.

2 Replies to Being a Couple on Stage

re: Being a Couple on Stage
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:50 PM
Have you asked your teacher what it is that makes you look like this? Maybe it's not you but your partner.
When you know what's wrong, why not ask for tips? Just casually, anyone who you think might be able to help. And maybe practice with a mirror.
Do you like the guy you're partnered with? I know it shouldn't matter, but if all fails you two might be better off with another partner (if you still have time for that kind of change that is). Good luck!
re: Being a Couple on Stage
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Fri Aug 16, 2013 01:23 PM
What are you thinking when you do those scenes? If you are just smiling and not thinking about anything it's gonna show that you don't really like hi. You kinda have to fake that connection with your partner. It happened to me a few times when I was modelling with guys and we were supposed to act like we're in love. It read all over my face that I didn't like the guy even though I was smiling and hugging him. What I usually do is think about my boyfriend and the romantic things he does for me and it changes my body language and creates a more believable image.

ReplySendWatch