Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Lyrical
Warm up for lyrical classes!
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Mon Aug 19, 2013 07:49 PM

I'm just curious what everyone's warm up looks like for lyrical classes.

I am teaching a few lyrical classes this year. Mainly, I teach ballet-- but I've always wanted to branch out to other classes... and this year is my chance.

I seem to have an awkward flow when it comes to lyrical warm ups.

I generally start off with plies (meshed with some side bends), both in parallel and turned out. Then move on to flicks and tendus to warm up the tootsies. Sometimes I'll add in some leg swings for good measure, typically if the girls don't seem as warmed up or awake as I'd like. Then we'll move to the floor and do stretches. And then I head straight to across the floor.

What else do you typically do in your warm ups?

4 Replies to Warm up for lyrical classes!

re: Warm up for lyrical classes!
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Sat Sep 14, 2013 09:20 PM
I have also been teaching a lyrical class this fall. And your question is exactly why I ventured over to the lyrical board tonight!
Renee... we are twins...

My class is Intermediate, so I start with kind follow me thing. I basically freestyle and everyone copies me. I just do small moves, sways, body rolls, turns just to get moving. I flow right into stretching from that. Then plies, tendus and developes.

What I'm struggling with, is combinations across the floor. That has always been my toughest part.

So if anyone has some good ideas, I'd love to hear them!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 07:41 AM
Especially because I teach younger ones, I talk a lot about warming up the different areas of the body and stretching out the different muscles--so that when they are more advanced they understand how crucial it is. For the first few months I talk to them about what each action does, and to what area.

I always start with an active movement like jumping jacks, and roll out all the major joints: neck, shoulders, upper back, lower back, hips, knees, ankles, toes. I do always give some sort of conditioning before I stretch, because it always gets muscles warm and prepped for stretching. By the time I get to standard stretches, I'm always 15 ish minutes into class. The look of each step depends on what I want to work that day, whether there is more balance skills, more arm movements, more foot positions...
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 04:16 PM
Something with a nice flow to it. Either center or at the barre, if I did barre I'd do continuous follow the leader type thing with some push/pull motions added in.

Center...same sort of thing. Here I pulled out an old lesson plan (my lesson plans are usually just lists):
Tendu (p and 1st, flex, turn in out, 4 en croix)
Degage (4 en croix)
Rond de Jamb (slow, quick, en l’air)
Plie (1st and 2nd)
Releve (p and 1st)
Floor stretch (modern)
Battement
Developee
Leg Swings
Head roll/ isolations

I would add in connecting movements between the exercises which is the same every time. Floor stretch bit is just a modern floor warm up, clocks, or something similar with some more active stretching added in.

I was all about the flow.

Side note, I don't like lyrical classes, because lyrical is not a kind of dance it is a way of doing something. I taught them if I was asked to.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:42 AM
Rina-- get out of my head. Haha. Our lives really do sync up in the craziest of ways. :)

Thanks guys-- this was helpful. I never took lyrical classes when I danced because.. well, lyrical wasn't really a thing at that time.

All my students have been complimenting my lyrical classes-- although, I tend to refer to them more as contemporary.

ReplySendWatch