Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Tips of Rutherford's cracking
By Irish4life
On Mon Aug 19, 2013 09:31 PM

I've had my Rutherford's for about seven months now. They're amazing, easy to break in, all that good stuff. But lately I've noticed cracks in the tips of my shoes where the leather meets the fiberglass. If I cover the cracks with tape, will this help minimize future damage? Or is this inevitable with toe work?

9 Replies to Tips of Rutherford's cracking

re: Tips of Rutherford's cracking
By catie44
On Tue Aug 20, 2013 02:53 AM
My Rutherfords do it too. I haven't had them fall apart from it and I dance pretty hard. If you want to make them look nicer you can fill the cracks with E6000 epoxy, let that dry for 24 hours and then paint over it with black fingernail polish. It also keeps it from cracking more and it looks like new!
re: Tips of Rutherford's cracking (karma: 1)
By SparrowCatPremium member
On Tue Aug 20, 2013 03:09 AM
My old shoes rutherfords did this (I can't remember after how long) but they are now about 5 years old and the tips are still intact. For my new pair, I have been gaffer/duct taping the tips (leather and tip) because I didn't want to scuff the leather from serious practicing. I would imagine this also protects the tip - but if you email rutherfords, they are usually quite helpful with suggestions: rpshoes@rochester.rr.com
By Irish4life
On Tue Aug 20, 2013 04:21 PM
Catie44- Where can I buy E6000? Thanks for the tip, good to know my shoes aren't defective or anything.
By byudawn
On Tue Aug 20, 2013 04:48 PM
You can buy E6000 just about anywhere: Walmart, Michael's, JoAnn's---I see it all the time in the craft sections. And of course at stores like Home Depot. We were given a used pair the next size up for my daughter for which I'm so grateful, but it's got a little crack section too---I will try this, thanks!
By SparrowCatPremium member
On Tue Aug 20, 2013 05:42 PM
I'm not sure if they are *supposed* to do it, or if some just do. It would depend on what the cracks look like - if the tip looks like it's coming away from the shoe, I would definitely have it looked at and not just taped up, because this could be dangerous.

Best bet - take a photo, and email it to rutherfords. Ask them if it looks normal from practicing for however long you have worn the shoes, and ask for recommendations. They were really helpful to me when I bought my new shoes directly from them :)

Good luck!
By catie44
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 03:25 AM
Whoops! I lost track of this thread. Like byudawn said, you can buy it just about anywhere. Make sure to do it outside or in a well ventilated room with fans going and windows open. It is really stinky stuff and not that great to breathe in, but it holds up.
By irishismylifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 29, 2013 08:20 AM
This has happened with every pair of rutherfords I have ever owned, I have been told it's fine and seeing as it happens to all my shoes from they i'd say it's common. like others said, unless they are peeling away from the shoe dance on. If it makes you feel better I can post what my old ones look like :P
By Irish4life
On Sat Aug 31, 2013 07:40 PM
Bought some E6000, finally fixing up my shoes before the season gets underway. :) Thanks for all the help everyone!
By Theyel1975
On Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:52 AM
Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful information with me. I was looking online for some information on www.essaysoriginreview.com . . . website as I wanted to use their services for some of my writing tasks. If you guys know about them please tell me. It would be helpful.

ReplySendWatch