Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

Irish - MAIDs
How to measure for correct dress length
By ReelTreblegirl Comments: 41, member since Wed Oct 19, 2011
On Wed Aug 21, 2013 03:29 PM

What is the best way to measure dancer to figure out the correct length of dress she needs? Thank you!

6 Replies to How to measure for correct dress length

re: How to measure for correct dress length
By krisinstitches Comments: 398, member since Mon Feb 02, 2009
On Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:49 AM
Are you looking at resale dresses, or ordering new?

If ordering new, it is best to use the dressmaker's measuring guidance. To find where the dress should stop on the leg, I typically measure the distance from the crease of the knee to the bottom of the tush and find the midpoint. If my dd is lucky, I mark that spot with an eyeliner pencil I no longer use. If unlucky, it's a pen. I then use my tape measure to measure around the leg, to mark the same spot on the front of the leg. This gives you the bottom reference point for either front or back dress measurements.

Which is helpful when buying resale. If the seller lists how they measured the length, then you just do the same, stopping at the appropriate mark.

One other thing to do is have your tape measure follow the curves of your dancers body. So if she has either a bust or dancer booty (or both :) ), those curves are taken into account.

Hope this helps!

Kris
re: How to measure for correct dress length (karma: 1)
By Realtreble Comments: 2094, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Tue Sep 24, 2013 05:00 PM
Edited by Realtreble (146991) on 2013-09-24 17:03:13

I agree with the pp: if you are ordering from a dressmaker, contact that person for guidelines. We all measure a bit differently.

Measuring for dress length is easy, especially if you have a dress now. Measure the current dress as seen in the photo. If you want the new dress longer, add the extra length to the measurement you get off the current dress. In the photo above, if the dress is an inch too short, you would want to add an inch to the current length of 30". If you don't have a current dress,the pp's instructions above are very good.

If you are looking at a used dress, remember to ask if the measurements listed are taken from the dancer or taken from the dress itself. If they are taken from the dress, allow at least a half inch of room for your dancer's measurements so the dress can be worn comfortably. For example, if the dress's measurements are 30" bust, 29" dropped waistline, your dancer shouldn't be larger than a 29½" bust and a 28½" dropped waist. That will allow the dress to "fit like a glove" with little room for growth.
The most important thing when looking at measurements is making certain the method you are using is the same as the dressmaker's or seller's.
By mem53100 Comments: 104, member since Sun Jul 17, 2011
On Tue Sep 24, 2013 07:10 PM
We just ordered a second dress for daughter and they say measure 4 inches ubove knee for length of dress

Comment #10142650 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-09-25 07:14:27 Ooops, double post.

re: How to measure for correct dress length (karma: 1)
By Realtreble Comments: 2094, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:40 PM

To be accurate, the 4" rule is not in effect anymore. The dress can not be shorter than half the distance between the crack of the back of the knee and the gluteal fold of the bum (where the elastic of bloomers would ride.) In the example shown, this distance is 10", so the skirt can be 5" above the crack behind the knee.
By mabsmom Comments: 26, member since Fri Oct 12, 2012
On Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 AM
Thank you so much for this post! I need to check our dress for the Oireachtas and wasn't sure how to do it!

Photo also helpful!

ReplySendWatch