Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Impossible to find sequin material, HELP!
By mrs_milly
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:41 AM

A few months back I found the sequin material I wanted to use on my daughter's next solo. It looks like fish scales in a kelly green but also has a kind of a pearlized effect so it also looks blue at times and even a little yellow too(I'll try and find a picture I can post)

I did't buy it at the time because I knew I wasn't going to even start on making the dress for a few months. Well we are finally ready to make the dress but alas the sequin material is sold out (I originally found it at Spandex World). I have searched and searched for it at other online stores and even local fabric stores with no success. I have found things very close but with one minor problem, they all seem to be reversible with the reverse side being black or brown. If I could somehow guarantee that the sequins wouldn't flip around that would be fine but since they most likely will it really wouldn't look good with the dress design.

Does anyone have any idea where I might get some of this sequin material? I really don't need a lot just 1/2-3/4 yard. I was planning to pay around $40 plus shipping so cost really isn't an issue, I just want to find this material. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cammy

13 Replies to Impossible to find sequin material, HELP!

re: Impossible to find sequin material, HELP!
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 02:09 AM
spandexworld.com . . .

was this what you were looking for? If you push all the sequin to lay one way, it shouldn't be an issue- just make sure it lays right before your dancer gets on stage.
By blondcat
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:41 PM
I'm heading to NY City this weekend. Hubby lets me spend 3-4 hours in the garment district. I'll see what I can find and post back mid-week next week.
By blondcat
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 02:16 PM
Found this on Ebay:

Pearl Green
By mrs_milly
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 05:42 PM
Thank you Saoirse and Blondcat for helping me look you are both very kind and bring me some hope that I will be able to find this sequin material.
Saoirse - Unfortunately the link you sent isn't the correct sequin fabric, but thank you for checking. Your idea of just making sure they sequins are all facing the right way before she goes on stage has me curious though. I might have to see if I can order some samples and and do some tests.

Blondcat - I would LOVE it if you kept your eyes out for anything while you are perusing in NY. I also checked on the ebay listing you posted and it looked like the right stuff but I found out the sequins are the size of a nickels. A little bigger than I was hoping.

I'll keep looking though. Something is bound to turn up. Thanks again for you help.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 06:14 PM
www.voy.com . . .
You might also try posting on the voy board for ID dressmakers. They are usually helpful!
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 06:26 PM
Edited by JenBlackerby (220029) on 2013-08-22 18:33:12 mixed one link up
I didn't find that exactly but here are some stores you might keep an eye on. Some of them have similar stuff but I didn't really see anything with that iridescent look on the round dangle sequins.

www.moodfabrics.com
www.lowpricefabric.com . . .
fabrics-fabrics.com
www.threadsofgreenfabrics.com
www.whitelodgefabric.com (based in UK)
actionfabrics.com (nothing on the website but I remember them putting out an ad awhile back about irish dance fabric)
www.voguefabricsstore.com . . .
syfabrics.com
By mrs_milly
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 09:34 PM
Thanks again for all the help searching. I did want to mention that it doesn't have to be dangle sequin. I would actually prefer flat, but I haven't had any real luck in the flat sequin fabric. The closest I have found in that is the holographic ones but I'm not to wild about them. I know I'm probably being too picky. Really the important thing is the color at this point.

Hop_123 - I guess I need to skip over to the Voys and try to figure out how they work;-)

JenBlackerby - Thanks for the site suggestions I be sure to keep my eyes on them.

Thanks Again everyone
By mrs_milly
On Thu Aug 22, 2013 09:57 PM
So I have heard of people sewing netting over the top of their sequins. If I were to buy the black back stuff and sew the netting over the top, would that keep the sequins from flipping over, or would it be more hassle than it's worth? Thoughts?
By Realtreble
On Fri Aug 23, 2013 07:16 AM
blondcat wrote:

I'm heading to NY City this weekend. Hubby lets me spend 3-4 hours in the garment district. I'll see what I can find and post back mid-week next week.

If you have time, check Spandex House. It is nearby Spandex World, has a larger inventory and often overlaps inventory with Spandex World.

263 west 38th street
New York, NY 10018
USA
Phone: 212-354-6711
By blondcat
On Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:55 AM
NYC trip update:

I did not get to spend as much time as I wanted in the garment district. Hubby & I took our time at the 9/11 Memorial Saturday. We also decided to stand in line at TKTS to buy show tickets for that night. I only got about 2 hours on Monday to fabric shop before heading to the airport. I mainly hit NY Elegant and a couple of "hole in the wall" places I like. Did not see anything that looked like the iridescent green sequins.
By mrs_milly
On Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 PM
BlondCat - Thanks for looking even if it wasn't as long as you had hoped. The important thing is did you have fun and get to see/do all the things you wanted too?
By mrs_milly
On Thu Aug 29, 2013 05:12 PM
It's back in stock at Spandex World! Yay, what a relief. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

spandexworld.com . . .
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 29, 2013 06:17 PM
So glad you were able to find it! Good luck with the dress, can't wait to see and hear more about it.

ReplySendWatch