Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
"Microsoft Security Essentials" Who has used this program?
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri Aug 23, 2013 03:47 PM

--and with what results?
If I can depend on the same company for both operating system and security, then I can eliminate the buck-passing that has gotten me into my present situation.
Spoiler: Show
Norton software removed a virus that apparently had taken over a system file of the same name, and neither Norton nor Microsoft will help me obtain and install the system file.

1. Does "Microsoft Security Essentials" work adequately?

2. Is it compatible with other security programs such as Norton, MacAffee (not my choice) and Malwarebytes, or would I have to uninstall those?

2 Replies to "Microsoft Security Essentials" Who has used this program?

re: "Microsoft Security Essentials" Who has used this program?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 02:57 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials USED TO BE a great anti-virus solution. For the past few years, it scored comparably with paid solutions like McAfee and Norton. I have been using it for YEARS. Unfortunately, during the past year or so, its performance has slipped significantly. I used to recommend it, but now I don't. And I don't use it on any of my own computers anymore.

You can install more than one anti-virus program (although I don't recommend it), but you have to make sure only one is active at a time. I suggest you choose the best one and uninstall the rest. If you have more than one installed, they can cause major problems with your computer.

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program. It focuses on malware that antivirus programs won't catch. So you CAN install it in addition to an antivirus program.

All that said, there is NO REASON to pay for antivirus programs. Only corporations need to pay. Any company who tries to charge you for antivirus protection is a scam IMO. Last time I checked, Avast was the best free antivirus. I've been using it for over a year, and it's great once you turn off all the annoying pop-up notifications. www.avast.com . . .

If you're interested in further reading...
gizmodo.com . . .
re: "Microsoft Security Essentials" Who has used this program?
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Mon Aug 26, 2013 04:01 AM
Thank you for the data and references.

ReplySendWatch