Forum: Arts / Pets

Update on Penny (some questions and pictures)
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 03:24 PM

I'll start by saying that if these are things you guys think I should see the vet about, I definitely will.

1) Penny lays around ALL day. I don't know if she's just a super chill dog or if she's way older than we think (about 7-8). She gets really excited to go outside and go play in the dog park. Basically if you're actively engaging her in something, she's fine. But around the house all she does is sleep in the corner of the living room or on the kitchen floor if I'm in there cooking. Sadie loves chewing on bones and playing fetch but Penny has no interest in either (although yesterday she got a hold of my friend's baby's toy and was gnawing on it...both my friend and I just let her do it since it's the first time she's shown interest in ANYTHING). Is this normal behavior? As I type this she's laying right by my feet, fast asleep.

2) She licks her private area CONSTANTLY. Like ALL the time. Well, I lie. If she's not sleeping that's what she's doing. This has been going on since I took her to get groomed, almost two weeks ago. I don't know if she got irritated by soap/shampoo or what. She's not in heat as far as I can tell (definitely not swollen and no blood), and when she had her check-up the vet didn't say anything about it. Umm is this normal? My only comparison I have to this behavior is Sadie, and she never does this except for every once in a while.

3) She drags her butt on the floor. Like she'll sit, then pull herself forward with her front feet. She does this once, maybe twice a day. Grosses me out because sometimes she does it on the carpet. :/ My mom said this is how they found out their dog had worms...but Penny doesn't have worms. I know this because she was just tested last week and she is on a preventative (like Sadie). I don't know if this poor dog just has a lot of irritation down there. I absolutely don't want her to be uncomfortable.

Other than that, I swear this is the best dog in the world. She has yet to have an accident inside. Sadie has to go outside once every hour or so (tiny dog, tiny bladder) but Penny can go for hours. She sleeps on the floor at the foot of our bed on her blanket every night and she doesn't budge. She'll sleep all through the night and doesn't budge til I have to actually wake her up to go potty when my husband gets up for work.

She's very smart too. She knows sit, stay, lay down, and shake. We haven't taught her any of this. She's brilliant! She's definitely a lover too, I think she wants nothing more than to be near somebody who loves her. The first couple nights we had her she would sleep downstairs on our recliner, away from all of us but she ventured upstairs a week or so ago and likes to be with us at night now. I think she was just trying to find her place in our house and where she belonged! Too sweet.

Thanks for advice :)

photo #1: Both dogs at the dog park yesterday. Sadie is playing in the mud of course and Penny just looks at her like she's crazy! Haha. They both chase each other around too and they love it.

photo #2: Both doggies loving on each other.

photo #3: Took Penny to the beach.

photo #4: :)

photo #5: Hubby took this pic of us, I love it. Describes Ssdie perfectly haha.

9 Replies to Update on Penny (some questions and pictures)

re: Update on Penny (some questions and pictures)
By RinceorNosretep
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 03:44 PM
1) I would say this is just her natural demeanour. My mom's dogs are indoors a lot and they've learned to pass the time by sleeping or dozing, but when it's playtime they get super excited. I think it stands out more for you just because you're used to your other dog that is constantly on the go. Enjoy Penny and her ability to be calm when needed, that's hard to train. She's so cute! :) It also sounds like she's bonding to you already, by constantly being in the same room as you. Precious!

2) If she didn't do this before the grooming, I would relate it to that. She may have gotten irritation from that like you said, and/or is allergic to any soap or fragrance they might have used on her. Did they trim any fur around her privates? Sometimes trimmed fur can be prickly and itchy. Her constant licking of the irritation could be prolonging the problem. This is something I would ask a vet about if it persists.

3) I've seen some dogs do this, but it's usually dogs that are too fat to clean themselves down there. I think it relates to problem 2), and rubbing on the carpet soothes that itch.
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 04:02 PM
#3) she needs her anal glands expressed. You can watch a YouTube video and do it at home. My dog Cali gets clogged anal glands all the time while my other dog never has this problem.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 04:03 PM
Edited by highlandrebel (182229) on 2013-08-27 16:06:08
1) It sounds like a normal, older dog. It could be something physically wrong, but it is difficult to say without knowing her prior behavior. But a lot of dogs have really laid back personalities.

2) What are you feeding? It could be allergies, a UTI, anal glands. Dogs can also have silent heats, so if she is not spayed, she could be in heat without any symptoms.
I would not consider it normal.

3) What worms did they test for? And what preventatives are you on? If it is not worms, I would guess her anal glands need to be expressed.
I would not do this on your own, unless you have had a vet or vet tech show you hands on, the proper way to do it.
re: Update on Penny (some questions and pictures) (karma: 1)
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 04:21 PM
highlandrebel wrote:

I would not do this on your own, unless you have had a vet or vet tech show you hands on, the proper way to do it.
Why not? I'm not asking in a defensive tone, more inquisitive. It's really easy - find hard bean at 2-3 (pretending the anus is a clock), find hard bean at 9-10, then push in and together gently. There's really no way to mess it up... I mean I guess you could slice the anus if you have long sharp nails and use a gouging motion, but you shouldn't be allowed to have a dog if you're going to do something that moronic...

O, and I should clarify that I'm only suggesting doing the external glands yourself. I let my wonderful vet do the internal glands, because fingers in butts is a line I don't cross :)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 05:44 PM
Ok, so you have really cute dogs... I don't know anything about most of the stuff you are asking, but considering Sadie is a JRT it sounds like you are used to a more hyper dog. Penny sounds like a perfectly normal older dog when it comes to the whole being lazy thing!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 06:48 PM
Edited by toroandbruin (202876) on 2013-08-27 18:50:36
If Penny continues having the itchy rear and/or privates ask the vet's opinion. It's no fun being uncomfortable down there.

If Sadie really HAS to pee every, single hour maybe she has some sort of irritation, too. On the other hand, if she makes it through the night with no problem she may just want to check the yard for intruders and mark her territory every hour.

If Penny does not look uncomfortable or unhappy when lying around, she sounds like just a laid-back dog. As long as she also likes running around and playing with Sadie she probably gets enough exercise. Trying to keep up with a Jack Russell Terrier would wear out any dog!

As for toys and chewing, some dogs (JRTs especially) will chew ANYTHING while other dogs will lose interest in toys after puppyhood except for chasing a ball. However dogs do need some sort of bone or hard dog biscuit to clean their teeth and satisfy a craving to knaw. Have you tried her on various sizes and styles of dog dental chews?
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 07:39 PM
If Sadie really HAS to pee every, single hour maybe she has some sort of irritation, too. On the other hand, if she makes it through the night with no problem she may just want to check the yard for intruders and mark her territory every hour.

Ooo, it might be the latter. I never thought of that. She sleeps solidly from whenever I go to bed til I wake up (usually 9 or so hours) without needing to go outside. She does like to lay in the grass and sniff around though. I always just let her out whenever she paws at the sliding glass door, I don't pay attention half the time if she really goes to the bathroom or not.

#3) she needs her anal glands expressed. You can watch a YouTube video and do it at home. My dog Cali gets clogged anal glands all the time while my other dog never has this problem.

Oh wow. I watched a video and I don't know if I could do that. I can always try and if I have no luck I can take her to a vet. She doesn't really like me messing with her in that area (when I lifted her tail to see if she was bleeding she didn't like it), but if I can get it done as quickly as the people in the videos it's worth a try.

However dogs do need some sort of bone or hard dog biscuit to clean their teeth and satisfy a craving to knaw. Have you tried her on various sizes and styles of dog dental chews?

Well she likes Minties, DentaStix and Beggin' Strips but I definitely don't want to give those to her every day. Once I get paid again I'm going to try her with a rawhide bone since she didn't like the Nylabone. Sadie is crazy about pig ear's so I will give that a try too.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I appreciate it! Also I forgot to mention when I took her to the vet he said he's like her to gain 10-15 lbs so we're working on that too. She's a good eater, but I have to mix it up special for her since she seems to have problems eating dry dog food. She's missing two teeth on the bottom and I think that unless I mix in some wet food or some broth to soften it up, it hurts her teeth.
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 07:57 PM
Well she likes Minties, DentaStix and Beggin' Strips but I definitely don't want to give those to her every day. Once I get paid again I'm going to try her with a rawhide bone since she didn't like the Nylabone. Sadie is crazy about pig ear's so I will give that a try too.

Deer/elk antlers. Amazon has the best prices, our dogs LOVE them.
By RinceorNosretep
On Wed Aug 28, 2013 01:30 PM
Ha yeah I forgot about the anal glands. :)

I would caution you to be careful with rawhide, as it can swell up in their intestines and cause problems if they swallow chunks of it. Have you tried any Kong brand rubber chew toys? Those tend to be pretty good and durable.

ReplySendWatch