Forum: Highland / Highland - Teachers Only

Highland - Teachers Only
SDTA Syllabus
By Bril Comments: 150, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 04:03 PM

I have a question. I should probably already know the answer but for the life of me I am stumped.

Does anyone know if the SDTA highland syllabus is still available for sale anywhere? In previous posts it was mentioned that it could be found/ordered on the back of the Alliance newsletter but having checked my most recent issue it seems to have mysteriously disappeared...

I am planning on doing my national associates and/or members this fall and noticed that the outline for the highland tests are online but never the nationals. I thought it might be a good idea to actually have the test outline to study with instead of just learning the entire book(s).
Also, does anyone know what the newest version of the syllabus is?
I just figured I would ask here before emailing SDTA directly.
Thanks!

8 Replies to SDTA Syllabus

re: SDTA Syllabus
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:52 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to buy the syllabus. You should just have to get in touch with them and ask them to send it, as long as you're a member.
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Tue Sep 03, 2013 09:27 PM
Bril wrote:

I am planning on doing my national associates and/or members this fall and noticed that the outline for the highland tests are online but never the nationals. I thought it might be a good idea to actually have the test outline to study with instead of just learning the entire book(s).

I'm a BATD Member, thinking about doing my Nationals Membership and kind of going through the same thing. I don't own a copy of the BATD Syllabus but I recall looking through them and this information not being there.

It just leaves me wondering what IS on the Nationals Members?

(I mean, I know the whole book is, but just like in Highland I'm sure there are things that need to be focused on more than others. I just don't know what they are!)
On Tue Sep 03, 2013 09:53 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I ended up just emailing SDTA and they sent me an electronic copy of the professional exams syllabus. (Very promptly, might I add)
Punkqueenie:
I don't know about the BATD exam but SDTA national associates is the jig/hornpipe basic positions, certain movements (members is pretty much all movements) and then four steps from each the flora, lilt, laddie and johnnie.
For the member exam the dances are still four steps but the steps are more varied and include all the competitive dances.
Then you have to know all the musical rhythms and dance four, four step dances from the list (you choose steps, examiner chooses dances).
If you want the whole list fire me a pm and I can give you more detail.
On Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I ended up just emailing SDTA and they sent me an electronic copy of the professional exams syllabus. (Very promptly, might I add)
Punkqueenie:
I don't know about the BATD exam but SDTA national associates is the jig/hornpipe basic positions, certain movements (members is pretty much all movements) and then four steps from each the flora, lilt, laddie and johnnie.
For the member exam the dances are still four steps but the steps are more varied and include all the competitive dances.
Then you have to know all the musical rhythms and dance four, four step dances from the list (you choose steps, examiner chooses dances).
On Wed Sep 04, 2013 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Punkqueenie:
On Thu Sep 05, 2013 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Punkqueenie:
By Zoomer Comments: 1, member since Sun Oct 06, 2013
On Sun Oct 06, 2013 06:31 PM
Hi Bril - Would you mind sharing the syllabus with me so I don't have to bug SDTA? Thanks a bunch!
By fairy_elephant Comments: 459, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Sat Nov 30, 2013 03:35 PM
Glad you got what you were looking for....

Someone asked about BATD nstional membership...

If you are 30 or under you must choose 4 national dances of any four steps to dance, and be prepred to dance two dances of the examiners choice (4 steps) on the day. Theory is everything in the scottish nation al text book (recently re published) pplus all jig and hornpipe.

Knowledge of the music section in the highland text book is also requid along with time and tempo for each dance.

If you are 30 or over the candidate has the choice to demonstrate steps individually rather than dance the full dances.

ReplySendWatch