Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Enough Money For 2 Solos?
By taproxmysox Comments: 117, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 08:51 PM

Hello, this year is my senior year at dance and I absolutely would love to do two solos, a jazz and a tap. I've done a tap solo my whole life basically, but I love jazz and would like to try a solo in that category. However my mom has informed me that we cannot pay for both, and if I want to do another one i would have to come up with the money. I dance Monday-Thursday every week after school and its hard to find a job that is only hiring for weekends. Any ideas on how i can help come up with the money? I babysit every now and again, but its not stable income. A solo is roughly $100 per competition and $200 to learn it and extra hour to clean it up halfway through the year. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks!!

5 Replies to Enough Money For 2 Solos?

re: Enough Money For 2 Solos?
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 09:02 PM
Are there jobs you can do around your house that your parents will pay you for or would they agree to put a certain amount towards your solo if you did some extra work for them?

Are their elderly neighbors that need help with shopping on the weekends, housework, yardwork, car washed, or even need pets walked?

Do you have an old ipod to sell on Craig's list or clothes you can sell to a thrift store? Could you gather things around your house or have people donate items and have a yard sale (and you keep the $$). You can let people know you are trying to raise money for dance, and they will usually help you out, or sometimes give you more at the yard sale.

If you are good at arts/crafts some people pay a lot of money for people to do scrapbooks or shadow boxes of personal items/memories. Holidays are coming up so making wreaths, or even Halloween decorations is a possibility.

Check out Fiverr.com. People sell all kinds of services and do things on there for $5.00 (I'm not sure what percentage the company takes), but it's a great way to make extra money...but you have to stay on top of your orders so you don't get bad reviews.

Bake sale and lemonade stands for fundraiser might go over well depending on your neighborhood!! You never know.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:16 PM
What about babysitting? Or assisting with classes at the studio? Is any store in the mall hiring? They often need people willing to work the weekend hours and a few hours a week would help pay for that, but you would have to book time off to compete.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 AM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2013-08-28 10:30:24
I'd expand your network of babysitting contacts. Put the word out that you're available. Check in with the families you currently babysit for, let them know you're trying to earn extra money and I bet you'll find they're happy to use you more often. Lots of parents have to scramble to find childcare on the days when there is no school; perhaps you could fill that need.

How about dog-walking? People pay a good amount for that. My daughter was getting $5 per dog per walk, and was taking multiple dogs for multiple daily walks a few summers ago when she was too young for a "real" job, which was giving her about $20 a day. A recent college grad I know is paying his rent in an expensive US city (San Francisco) just by walking dogs while he is interviewing for positions in his chosen career field. There's a huge demand for it as people don't want to leave their poor doggy cooped up in the house for 10 hours while they're working.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Wed Aug 28, 2013 04:20 PM
I didn't see that you already babysit, but you can find more ways to do it. I used to babysit a couple kids while their mom was in exercise class for an hour on Saturday mornings at 10 am. I didn't make a lot doing it but every little bit counted. After she saw me with her kids (she could watch me babysit while working out) I started getting evening and full day babysitting jobs with her and sometimes for her friends. If you attend church, that's a good place to let people know you babysit too.

^ And hiring a professional dog walker is something like $25-30 for 30 minutes of time with your dog per day so people would probably be willing to hire a student for less. I've thought about it and if I had a young kid I trusted in my area that would walk my dog every day after school for some amount per week, I'd definitely hire them.
By taproxmysox Comments: 117, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Wed Sep 04, 2013 08:00 PM
Those are all great suggestions THANK YOU!!! I never thought dog walking as an option. wish me luck i can do this!

ReplySendWatch