Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

New to contemporary dance - will I build muscles I don't want?
By Babi_BRmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 28, 2013 07:34 AM

I've just had my first contemporary class on Monday.
I took ballet classes for 8 years (adult starter) and modern (Graham) for 2 months before deciding to start contemporary.

My arms and back hurt a lot!
In ballet, although we have to have support for the arms, we don't really build muscles in the arms and the back. But I was wondering if contemporary dance (even if I just have classes twice a week) will make me look bigger in the upper torso.
I'm not exactly petite in that area, so I was wondering if you notice your body changing with contemporary dance.

Since it's just a hobby (I love dance, but I'm too old to consider it professionally), I don't want to choose a dance style that could change my body in the wrong way.

Thanks!

1 Replies to New to contemporary dance - will I build muscles I don't want?

re: New to contemporary dance - will I build muscles I don't want?
By lamariesusanne
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 09:00 AM
Hey,

building muscles shouldn't be a bad thing, but I can understand that sometimes it might be frightening to know that you will build muscles in areas where you don't want them.

I made the experience that especially in the upper body muscles don't make it look bigger but rather stronger. Of course, muscles always give you a more athletic look, but I don't think you will notice any negative changing.

I hope this issue doesn't keep you from continuing class, Contemporary is such a cool form of dance!

ReplySendWatch