Forum: General / Travel

Travel
Hawaii, Perth, or Queensland? January 2014
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:38 PM
Locked by chrispbin (158209) on 2013-09-15 05:40:50 Decision made...and the winner is Hawaii!

Which one, and why?

We are one adult, one 16 year old girl and one 14 year old boy, travelling in our school holidays for 12-14 days.

Over to you, my trusty DDNers!

Chris

7 Replies to Hawaii, Perth, or Queensland? January 2014

re: Hawaii, Perth, or Queensland? January 2014
By Leigha_Ballerina Comments: 490, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:49 AM
Is that Perth Western Australia and the State of Queensland in Australia. Need a few more details to give a better answer

If you not used to the extreme heat avoid Perth WA in January , plus not a lot of teen attractions like theme parks.

Queensland is a very big state - what are you plans - lots of theme parks but will be peek summer holiday season. Can be very humid
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 AM
Yes, and yes! Sorry.

Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. Rather not go any further north than Noosa.

We have done the theme parks before. My son is a bit of a history buff and likes museums, but my daughter is more a socialite/shopper/tanner. I'm not fussed as long as the peace is vaguely kept.
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 01:06 AM
Where are you from (country?)? Because if you are Australian I would say Hawaii :D
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 05:05 AM
Hawaii. GO GO GO GO.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 05:49 AM
We're Aussies, from Tasmania.

I must admit I'm leaning (a lot) to Hawaii, but convince me! It's a long way and we'd have to re-organise passports for F, and I'd have to miss tutu school, so persuade me!!!
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 952, member since Fri Apr 11, 2008
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 07:36 PM
When I first read the question I had a little double-take at the size disparity of the destinations. Although when you say Sunshine Coast, no further north than Noosa, I see you aren't going to Katter Country, or Cairns, or Magnetic Island or Charleville... or Hughenden to see the Muttaburrasaurus(coff coff).

But with that, I have to agree with anyone who says Hawai'i. For one, in spite of the wealth of destinations you have at your fingertips, you might as well organise passports and try an opposing hemisphere. Go and witness a live volcano. Go and witness the Middle Americans that travel as far as you did, just so they can eat at Denny's in the middle of the Pacific. Have a look at Pearl Harbour. See the landscape change dramatically over a matter of miles (If you drive up one of the volcanoes, you'll see it change from tropical to subtrobical to temperate to arid in a matter of minutes!).

Less flies there than in Queensland too (at least the bits where I've lived). I can't vouch for Perth though.

Mark
::gibberish::
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Sep 02, 2013 07:59 PM
I went to Hawaii my first time at 16 and again at 20. I love it there. It's so nice. Shopping might be a bit expensive as everything is imported, but the beaches are great and as a teenage girl I loved it. There are plenty of historical and geographical things to do too. There's Pearl Harbor, of course. But there's a also a Leper Colony (which is interesting to learn about and yes some people do still choose to live there as of 2008). There's Volcano National Park. There's the road to Hana (though I would probably get a driver especially if you aren't used to driving on the right, and don't do it if you get car sick or nervous). There are Macadamia farms. The weather is great. It's not too hot, it usually rains at least once a day but no more than a half hour which is perfect. The beaches were my favorite part. I've been surfing and scuba diving there, though being Australian this might not be too enticing to you lol, I'm from New York. All the places I mentioned are on different islands. Both times I went we stayed at Mauai most of the time, but I've also been to the Big Island of Hawaii, and just day tripped to Moloakai.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed