Popular Owners

Anyone use Jackrabbit for point of sale? by kaygirl
We currently use Jackrabbit but do not use the POS function. However, this is something we are...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
Bunions... how to dance with them? en>fr fr>en
By jnsdance Comments: 12, member since Wed Jul 31, 2013
On Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 AM

I have bunions on both of my feet.... at least I think I do. They only hurt me every so often in my pointe shoes and I have been in them for a little over two years now.

My turnout from the hips is not very bad. I mean its not perfect but... whose is? However when I stand in fifth position it is hard to do and when I dance I cannot dance with turnout! Why is this? Is this because of my bunions because when do fast tondus I cannot close to a complete fifth position and it seems like its because of my feet.

Also I will be going back on to pointe next week (we just got back from a break) And I don't want my bunions to get worse.. How can they heal? Should I get something to help my feet? What are some tips of how to dance with bunions. ANYTHING HELPS!! I just need some advice:) Thanks!

4 Replies to Bunions... how to dance with them?

re: Bunions... how to dance with them? en>fr fr>en
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Thu Sep 05, 2013 07:12 PM
Bunions are fairly common for dancers, and unless they're hurting you, they are fine to dance with. Bunions do not affect turnout, but compensating for a lack of turnout by pronating will cause - and aggravate - bunions. Pronating is putting too much pressure on the inside edge of the foot, "rolling" on your arch and placing most of your weight over your big toe. This causes the bones to shift, the metatarsal angles outward and the toe bones angle inward, and there's your bunion. They don't heal; if they are severe, they can be surgically corrected, but this is not recommended for mild or moderate cases. Bunion surgery usually involves stabilizing the joint with a pin, which will leave you with a very limited demipointe.

Pointe shoes that are too narrow will also aggravate bunions, so make certain your shoes fit you correctly. If you have not been professionally fitted, do so if at all possible. If nothing else, at least have your teacher check the fit of your shoes.

I would not recommend the usual practice of putting a spacer between your toes. In a pointe shoe, your toes are being compressed, and putting something between your toes will only act as a fulcrum to push that joint out even more. I recommend taping the toe so it sits aligned and not at an angle. There is an example of a bunion taping on this page: holistictreats.blogspot.com . . .
By jnsdance Comments: 12, member since Wed Jul 31, 2013
On Fri Sep 06, 2013 01:07 PM
Thank you! I will try taping them! :) Hopefully they do not become too bad!!
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Fri Sep 06, 2013 04:54 PM
The way to keep them under control is to focus on your foot placement. Ask your teachers to help you correct this in class, and carry it over into your everyday life. Also make certain that you are wearing shoes with good arch support outside of the studio. Rubber flipflops, cheap flats, and high heels are definite no-nos. And along with your pointe shoes, make sure your regular shoes fit correctly as well and are not too tight across the metatarsals.
By IceDancer94member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 46, member since Tue Feb 12, 2013
On Fri Sep 06, 2013 06:19 PM
One thing I wanted to say: I have had double bunionectomys. My demi pointe is back to full strength and I am back en pointe. I ha to have surgery because arthritis was developing in my bunion, and I only has small pins put in (and had them removed.)

i would suggest ibuprofen if the pain is only a nuisance and only bothersome when dancing. If the pain becomes more frequent and more debilitating, you may want to see a podiatrist for answers. Bunions can be a big problem or not a problem, but you only have one pair of feet and they are your tools, so take care of them! ;)

ReplySendWatch