Forum: Highland / Highland - Choreography

Highland - Choreography
Tartan/plaid on choreography costume?
By Hannahmom Comments: 1090, member since Sat Apr 01, 2006
On Fri Sep 06, 2013 03:05 PM

My daughter is doing her first choreography soon, we have a costume, but was wondering if there has to be tartan on it. ( The costume is not "ballet" style more Scottish country looking.) Thanks!

9 Replies to Tartan/plaid on choreography costume?

re: Tartan/plaid on choreography costume?
By Dancing_24_7Premium member Comments: 1422, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Fri Sep 06, 2013 04:01 PM
I believe there has to be a tartan element. Maybe a sash or belt around the waist?
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Fri Sep 06, 2013 04:22 PM
Look at the rules for the competition.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
re: Tartan/plaid on choreography costume? (karma: 1)
By justdoit Comments: 1282, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Fri Sep 06, 2013 05:09 PM
Most choreography competitions I have seen require a Scottish or Celtic "theme." It is up to you (and the judge) to interpret that...usually this includes the music and the costume, (and of course the dance steps) but "tartan" is not necessarily the only way to portray a Celtic theme. My personal preference is for there to be tartan in the costume, but I would not say it is "required." Good luck!
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Sat Sep 07, 2013 09:20 PM
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but these are the FUSTA Choreography rules, as posted on their website: (emphasis mine)

A group choreography competition is open to registered dancers, the age groups to be set by the organizer.
Content should consist primarily of movements from Highland, National, Hornpipe and Jig books.
A maximum of five minutes time limit should be set to include entrance and exit of competitors and setting up and removal of props.
Teams may use props during their performance, either static or non-static, but live animals are not permitted.
A minimum of three and a maximum number to be set by the organizer.
Music may be live or pre-recorded and may include vocal or percussion selections, but in all cases must be predominantly Scottish or Celtic in style. Music may be provided by the competition organizer.
Costumes must follow the theme and content.
Judges must be from the current SOBHD, ABHDI or OBHD, SA Judges Panel. The number of judges must be one or three to comply with the current scrutineering system. A total mark should be awarded. No separate prizes for costumes, etc.
Teams should consist of:
a) one school only
b) more than one school, in which case, the teacher/choreographer must abide by the three month teaching/judging rule.

Costumes don't necessarily have to have tartan. I could certainly see costumes like Sailors- or Jig-themed outfits that would work and not have tartan.
By danzteach Comments: 102, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Sun Sep 08, 2013 08:31 AM
The guidelines posted on the FUSTA website come from the SOBHD. The organizer does reserve the right to set down specific rules as he/she sees fit for their choreography competition. Specific themes, music, and costume requirements can be set or it can all be left up to the dancer with the only specification being that the SOBHD guidelines be followed which state that it be predominately Scottish or Celtic in style. There is no specification that there be tartan on it but, in my opinion, I think if it goes with the theme of the dance then, yes, it should be on the costume. Having competed in many choreographies over many years and I have seen choreographies evolve over the years, a choreography that has a mix of Highland, National, and Hornpipe & Jig (if appropriate and fits the music) are the most successful.

If you are doing a choreography for the Scholarship process for the BATD, there is a whole list of requirements that MUST be followed or the dancer will be automatically disqualified.

Sorry for be longwinded.
By deanparkmom Comments: 4, member since Mon Jun 17, 2013
On Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 PM
Hi.. Yes you should have a tartan as it differentiates you from just being ballet.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 AM

This highland choreography routine was awarded second place at a highland comp, having SOBHD. Horey rules, with highland judges, and first place at a theatrical eisteddfod in a national dance section.

No tartan, but the costume followed the theme and content.
By Hannahmom Comments: 1090, member since Sat Apr 01, 2006
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 06:25 PM
Thanks everybody for your responses,I very much appreciate it! :)
I still haven't decided if I'm going to put a tartan sash on the costume or not. I think it'll be a last minute decision. I'll post a picture when I'm done!
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 PM
Another common way of approaching this is to add something obviously Celtic (like knotwork) on the costume, without having plaid (e.g., knotwork on a belt, a Celtic design on the front of a shirt, etc.).

ReplySendWatch