Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Page:
Page 1 of 151 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 13 14 15
Food & Beverage
What's for dinner tonight? (karma: 3)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:13 PM

Have we done this before? I don't remember. Let's share ideas and recipes and see if we can keep it going for a while.

kk~

360 Replies to What's for dinner tonight?

re: What's for dinner tonight?
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:18 PM
I made Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with a sugar free homemade BBQ sauce. Recipe here: www.theluckypennyblog.com . . .

I ate it for breakfast! :)
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:19 PM
Tonight I am making stroganoff.

1 lb stew meat
Unsalted beef broth
Chopped onion
sliced mushrooms

Brown the beef in a little flour. Then add the onion and mushrooms and lower the heat. Add the broth and cook on low to medium for 4 to 6 hours til the meat shreds. Shred the meat and add a little flour or cornstarch and some more broth and a little milk, if you like. Cook on low and allow to thicken.

This keeps a long time. It stays hot or can be warmed easily and/or frozen and reheated.

Serve over egg noodles. My daughter likes hers over rigatoni but I like the traditional egg noodles. Put a bed of noodles on a plate, put a dollop of sour cream on top and ladle the beef stroganoff over all. Stir and eat it up. Yum!

We are having a salad and some French bread with this tonight.

kk~
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:29 PM
Mine didn't count as a recipe - I rush on Mondays, so I just had brown rice with ratatouille. Out of a tin, sorry. Looking forward to contributing real cooking though!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:40 PM
Monday is a late night for me, won't be home til about nine, so it's leftovers from this weekend's meals. We'll be noshing on a bit of coconut milk based chickpea curry and pasta with garlic and clams. Lol, they don't go together but that's what it's in the fridge. :)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:46 PM
It's my husband's turn to make dinner, and I believe he will be making omelettes. We are moving soon and are trying to use up our perishables before we do, so the eggs have got to go.

Actually, I usually prefer scrambled eggs with stuff in them to a true omelette. Crack some eggs into a bowl, add a little milk, beat the eggs and milk together, then add cheese and garlic into the bowl. Meanwhile, if you're putting any raw veggies in the eggs, have those cooking in the pan with a little oil. I usually put mushrooms and sometimes potatoes in mine. Sometimes spinach and cherry tomatoes too. If I'm adding green onions, I don't pre-cook those, just throw them into the bowl with the eggs. Pour egg mix over veggies, scramble it all together and cook to your desired level of doneness, and voila! Served with a slice of toast and a glass of milk.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:56 PM
Oooh I LOVE cooking! So I'm definitely gonna love this thread.

Tonight's dinner is just something I had to throw together. It's the end of the pay cycle and we're kinda running out of everything. So I wrapped chicken tenderloins in bacon and made a mix of sour cream & cream of chicken soup (I try to avoid that stuff most of the time...) and put it all over the top. Bake in the oven at 225 for 4 hours. My house smells so good right now! Thanks Pinterest for that idea.

We're also going to have homemade au gratin potatoes and some green beans.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 04:22 PM
I love that thread idea!

I'm having

Italian sausage on the bbq
Carrots and leaks in tinfoil on the bbq ('m thinking with some kind of herbs, olive oil and a little brown sugar)
Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 05:02 PM
Tonight it's
baked sweet potatoes
grilled chicken breasts
Greek salad
Zuccanoes (stuffed zucchini) static.squarespace.com . . .
I made the zuccanoes last night so that I could get dinner quickly tonight.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 05:53 PM
Leftovers. Sausage and peppers, mashed potatoes and apple sauce.

It's so odd to have no one to cook for!

Keep On Dancing*
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Mon Sep 09, 2013 05:58 PM
Tonight is a stew.
A kilo of cubed chuck steak, browned in casserole dish. Add one onion, one parsnip, one swede, three carrots, all chopped, with 2-3 tablespoons of tomato sauce and 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Barely cover with water or stock (water this week- couldn't be bothered getting a Massell stock cube out) and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to bare simmer, or place in oven on very low heat- 130-140C, and cook for a couple of hours.

I made this last night while I was cooking the steak and veggies for that tea, so I'll re-heat and cook for another hour or so tonight. It'll be served with mashed potatoes and broccoli.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 09:34 AM
I'm going to make my boyfriend's favourite, even though it's a bit too fat-heavy for me. I pound chicken breasts flat, then spread them with soft cheese (goat cheese tonight), add slices of pancetta, and top with broccoli. Then I roll them up, dip them in egg, then in panko crumbs which I season with smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and thyme. They get thrown in the oven at 400F for half an hour.

He loves them, although I can't figure out the obsession. I usually just give then to him with a green salad as I don't think he needs more starch after the breadcrumbs.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 AM
Last night I had Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries, almonds, and a bunch of whipping cream on the top. With my new teaching schedule, last night was not a cooking kind of night for me.

Tonight I am having shrimp, on top of an avocado and citrus fruit spinach salad.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 AM
Last night I had a tasty sandwich made with jalapeño cheddar foccacia. I put on a slice of pepper jack cheese, a slice of hard salami and a slice of ham. It was delicious!

Tonight I think I might make tuna noodle casserole.....or just eat another sandwich for dinner depending on how motivated I feel. Probably the latter!
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 01:59 PM
Between working too much and getting ready to move, I have been resorting to packaged dinners more often than I care to admit lately. I think tonight I'm going with a Thai Kitchen box dinner (Thai Peanut stir fry noodles), and I'll add my own tofu, bean sprouts, carrots, and green onions. Considering how lazy I feel, it could be a lot worse.
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 02:01 PM
Jonelle, you have inspired me. I love breakfast for dinner! I think I'm going to make bird nests tonight.

Put some hashbrowns in a cupcake pan with a little oil and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, crack a raw egg on top of each or scramble the egg and pour on top, add a little cheese and some precooked crumbled bacon or sausage, you could also add some sauteed onion and peppers, if you desire. A little salt or salt substitute and pepper and bake for about 15-20 minutes on about 400F. You can use paper cupcake liners if you like.

Some fruit, toast and jam and we're good to go. :)

kk~
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 02:52 PM
I decided what I'm going to have- the same salad as my boyfriend with these buffalo-quinoa bites. I've made them twice because they are delicious:

fooddoodles.com . . .+(Food+Doodles)

They are so good.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 05:33 PM
Too rushed to really cook much tonight, so we're having pasta, served with red sauce and meatballs from the local Italian takeout. I stopped making my own once I tasted theirs; incredibly good. Served with green salad and more zuccanoes as I want to use them up.
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 09:37 PM
One of my go-to freezer recipes:

Oh-So-Easy Pork Chops
4 pork chops (not super-thick or the marinade burns when cooked)
1 1/2 cups fruit preserves
I always use blackberry, but I think marmalade, plum jam, raspberry, etc would be good too
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
2 teaspoons dried ginger
1/4 cup dijon mustard

Mix all ingredients except pork chops in a bowl. Put the chops in a gallon freezer bag, or 2 quart freezer bags for two separate servings. Pour the sauce into the bags, and knead the bag so the chops get covered easily. Freeze.

Thaw before using, at least 24 hrs (I do up to 48hrs) so they have time to marinade. Cook as desired. I use a George Foreman grill or broil.

I served it with some fresh green beans from my garden: Saute with some sesame oil, garlic and soy sauce. I also made Velveeta Shells and Cheese (Mac and cheese from a box) as comfort food for my husband who had a bad day. I was going to make whole wheat noodles with some butter, fresh herbs from the garden and parmasean cheese. Maybe that will be the side tomorrow.
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:53 PM
DH cooked tonight and it was delicious.

Grilled salmon with a sour cream based lemon dill sauce, roasted potato wedges and green beans.

And a lovely bottle of Mission Hills Riesling. Can't forget the Riesling.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Sep 11, 2013 02:54 AM
Last night I just had a basked sweet potato, a chicken breast and two roasted peppers. But, I sprinkled chilli flakes over the potato and chicken and that made it - chilli on sweet potato is awesome.

Tonight I think I'm going to have some white fish and a salad, maybe another sweet potato if they have any as that was my last one.
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2312, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Wed Sep 11, 2013 09:17 AM
It's harvest season now, and that has me really excited. Not everything is ready yet, but one of my favourite things to do is roast up a bunch of harvest vegetables. For tonight I've gathered apples, red onion, butternut squash, potatoes, garlic and tofu. I'll chop it all up, and toss them in a mixture that changes every time I do it, but let's say tonight it'll be a mixture of olive oil, salt, maple syrup, soy sauce, and some fresh herbs. I like to roast them until they're black on one side, because that really caramelizes the veggies and brings out their natural sweetness. I'll probably throw it all on a bed of brown rice or something, 'cause I'll need some carbs to fill me up.
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Wed Sep 11, 2013 06:54 PM
Edited by Naivohw (78074) on 2013-09-11 19:32:28
I'm cheating and picked up some marinated lemon garlic chicken breasts from the store. But I'm making these really good marinated cucumbers (again, fresh from the garden :) )

Quick Soy Cucumbers
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 cucumber, thinly sliced

Combine all ingredients except cucumber. Add cucumber. Let sit at least 15 minutes (I do about an hour, I don't know how it would do longer) Eat and enjoy!
On Wed Sep 11, 2013 07:35 PM
Tonight we had a big caprese salad with fresh tomatoes, bocconcini pearls, tons of fresh basil, and a bit of balsamic and olive oil. Boyfriend had some fresh garlic bread and he's going to have some grilled chicken drumsticks with buffalo sauce later.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Wed Sep 11, 2013 08:05 PM
Tonight we had this: www.amazingpaleo.com . . .

It's a slow cooker Salsa-Lime Chicken. Recipe says to cook on low for 7-8 hours but I did it on high for 3 hours and the chicken was totally cooked. I added a white onion and two bell pepper to give some more flavour and veggies to the meal. It's a spicy one!
Page:
Page 1 of 151 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 13 14 15

ReplySendWatch