Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Page:
Page 15 of 151 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 13 14 15
re: What's for dinner tonight?
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri May 16, 2014 12:56 PM
We're moving next month so all the protein for our meals is coming out of our big chest freezer that we won't have space for in the new place.

I've got a bunch of frozen Dungeness crab, so I think we'll have that tonight with a quick salad.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sat May 17, 2014 03:34 PM
I ended up buying six live lobsters last night because they were $6 each when I was at the grocery store. So we had that instead. $6 though? I had to do it.

Today I'm using the leftover meat in a gratin-type thing. I made some fresh brioche to go with it and we'll have a big green salad.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sat May 17, 2014 07:33 PM
Tonight we had a casserole that I haven't made in quite a while. My sister would hate it because it has cream of mushroom soup in it. She hates cream of anything soup and thinks that because we eat it in some recipes, that we are horrible eaters. She is one with a big weight problem though. Enough about that. Instead of cream of mushroom soup we used cream of broccoli to get one more veggie in this. It has in it thin sliced potatoes, shredded cheese and carrots, the soup, milk, diced ham and a bread crumb, butter and shredded cheese topping. It was good but next time I'd use the cream of mushroom soup.
On Mon May 19, 2014 08:35 AM
Tonight we are going to have leftovers. I got to go to dinner with my aunt & mom to celebrate her and my birthdays. I have leftovers & so does mom. Dad can eat some leftover chili.

Last night mom made chicken cutlets, something she hasn't made in a while. I made mashed 'taters and added some shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, Yakima smoky salt and chicken broth instead of milk and butter and some frozen corn (which is my nephews fave & he was over with my middle sister whose staying at his house for a while) and frozen mixed veggies with butter. Everything was yummy! We have leftovers.
On Sun May 25, 2014 07:57 PM
Tonight we had potatoes and hot dogs. My dad is 90 and depressed. He also coughs a lot when he eats or drinks and he's on meds for it which aren't working. He has a bridge in his mouth so chewing is hard. Since he has lost so much weight because he's not eating properly his bridge probably doesn't fit anymore although I don't think it fit from the beginning. My parents had onions and peppers in theirs with some garlic powder & another seasoning in the eggs and then everything else. I also added some shredded cheddar. Dad didn't eat very much.

For me, I like mine plain and I don't know why. I love peppers as long as they aren't green and onions that are caramelized in a lot of things but not this. I like my eggs with salt and pepper and the cheese and I added some bacon bits and hot dogs and potatoes. That's it. Great dinner and we have leftovers.
On Thu May 29, 2014 08:54 PM
Tonight I had a piece of chicken. I found that one of our meat thermometers wasn't working. It said 160 degrees for the chicken and it was raw. Our oven has been fixed so that wasn't it. I put another one in it and when it reached 160 the chicken was moist and juicy. I had some leftover mashed potatoes and some carrots. Dad, on the other hand, ate something that would be weird for a grownup but for him it was, like Goldilocks when she sat in the baby bears chair, just right. We bought him some Toddler TV dinners. This one was meat loaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and mixed veggies. The meat loaf was cut in little squares. I just added some salt and pepper to the meat and potatoes & some butter to the veggies. He ate all of it but left a little bit of potatoes and said he couldn't finish it. He wanted some chocolate pudding. I used to babysit for someone who wanted sweets but was to full to finish their food. I made her sit there and finish her meal before she had any dessert which is what I did with my dad. He finished those potatoes and he got his pudding.
On Sat May 31, 2014 07:18 PM
Today mom made Manicotti. She made the shells and we had some Ricotta that she mixed up with eggs and spices. I had gotten some tomatoes from the back of the store where they have fruits and veggies that are about to go bad. I needed some of them for something and there were leftovers. We have one of those stick blenders and I used it to crush the tomatoes to make sauce. We poured it on top and backed them. They were so good! My mom is still such a good good cook at 86!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat May 31, 2014 07:30 PM
Dear Jon (He who flunked Cooking Merit Badge four times) has been a "situational bachelor" for the past week. Wife in in the Wisconsin home town with sisters moving their 92 year old mom into assisted living plus she (the mom) also had surgery so for the moment is in a rehab facility. The three sisters are preparing mom's house for sale...clearing out stuff, donating to charity etc. None of the girls actually lived there except the "baby" and she was only there for a couple of college summers. None of the three sisters live in the home town now.

So like Megan, I'm also trying to diminish the freezer. Tonight was burgers on the grill and some peas/carrots/beans (frozen Green Giant.) I have done steak and my wife, who left hurriedly when she learned of the surgery did leave a couple of left over plates. I have made a salad and I've done a steak. I've only eaten out once (to everyone's surprise) and that was Indian Cuisine with a friend. I've proposed another dinner out with another friend and waiting to hear back. It is REALLY hard to identify stuff that is frozen and I've thawed some "mystery meat" already.

Jon
On Fri Jun 06, 2014 08:37 PM
Tonight we had pizza from The Berkshire, a bar/pizza place in our town. My cousin is up from FL till Mon. for some family things. This was the only night she could come and see us. The Berkshire is a local place and we like their pizza. Mom bought some ice cream and some chocolate tartlets for dessert.
On Sun Jun 08, 2014 07:44 PM
Tonight I made stuffing casserole. I liked it. Mom liked it but she said it tasted like stuffing. It was supposed to have diced chicken but we didn't have any so I used ground chicken that I cooked. We had mixed veggies with it since there was no veggies in this. My sister would have hated it since it had cream of mushroom soup in it but what she doesn't know won't hurt her. I don't think she will be eating any of this anyway so it's probably a moot point.
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Tue Jul 15, 2014 08:15 PM
Cassoulet (cooked in the slow cooker which I plugged in on my deck because it's a bajillion degrees) and home made bread (cooked in my amazing portable convection oven also plugged in on my deck).

It's not exactly "summer" food but I cooked it without raising the temperature in my house, which doesn't have AC and really, that's my number one priority right now :P
On Tue Jul 15, 2014 09:12 PM
We've been up the hospital since last Sat. so it's been 10 days. My dad is in the hospital so we have been having hospital food a lot. Tonight we had Fettuccine with chicken and broccoli. He may be in one more day but for now we are not sure of anything. I might bring something tomorrow so I don't have to buy something. Mom has been paying for us but I don't want her to keep spending her money when I can bring something to eat. They have a fridge and a microwave there that the families can use.
Page:
Page 15 of 151 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 13 14 15

ReplySendWatch