Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Page:
Page 4 of 151 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 15
re: What's for dinner tonight?
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:55 PM
We had grilled squid and salmon sashimi tonight.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sun Oct 06, 2013 02:46 PM
Shrimp over spinach, a sweet potato with cinnamon, and some green beans. :)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Oct 06, 2013 03:55 PM
I'm taking the shrimp creole left from last night and using it for a topping for some panko crusted tilapia tonight.

kk~
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 03:48 AM
Edited by DeStijl (100082) on 2013-10-07 03:51:11
We're having crispy soy fillets with sticky Chinese BBQ sauce and stir fried Asian greens.

I made a Pineapple upside down cake for dessert.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 05:23 PM
Lemon garlic chicken (cooked in coconut oil), roasted veggies (broccoli, green beans, red peppers) and some mixed berries. I want to eat it tomorrow too haha. So good.
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 08:11 PM
Old fashioned pot luck at the church tonight.

kk~
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 09:23 PM
cherry tomato, feta and spinach pies tonight.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 02:29 AM
Tonight I'm probably just going to have chicken and salad or something, but I'm going to make tomorrow's dinner as well as we're both going to the gym from work so there won't be time. I'm doing a turkey chilli - turkey mince, red onions, diced peppers, kidney beans (sorry Sheldon) plus whatever spices we have kicking around - garlic, chilli, paprika, cayenne, whatever I can find. I usually put a bit of balsamic vinegar in as well. We don't have any accompaniments, that's enough on its own.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 02:56 AM
Tonight we had spinach and pumpkin pasta with tomato and roasted garlic sauce.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Wed Oct 09, 2013 02:52 PM
Tonight we are having a cheat meal. It's in the huge freezer we have in our cellar so we are going to eat it up and make room for other things. It's a huge chicken pot pie that we bought at the store. It's from Mrs. Buds I think. There are 3 of us and I don't think we will eat all of it. Last night I made some homemade soup (in Northeast CT it's cooled off and is very cool at night) and we had grilled Steak Um's sandwiches w/cheese w/the soup. Dad is 89 and he is always cold all the time as he is extremely thin so he loved the soup. I'll give out the recipe later as I am going off to do some Wii bowling.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Oct 09, 2013 03:22 PM
My boyfriend gets fresh spinach pasta (my stand mixer makes pasta from scratch SO easy, no manual rolling or shaping with the right attachments...) with grilled tomatoes, peppers, and shrimp in a basil-y white wine garlic sauce I never make consistently (one of those 'what's in the fridge' things).

I pigged out hard yesterday and get a kale smoothie from Jugo Juice, haha.
On Wed Oct 09, 2013 07:24 PM
Here is that recipe from last night. We didn't eat the whole chicken pot pie so we have leftovers. Mom says there wasn't enough veggies in the pot pie and way to much sauce even though it was very yummy (I loved that sauce!) so we won't be buying it again. There was huge pieces of chicken in it. Mom makes her own but this was on sale and it was a quick meal when we aren't able to cook. Tomorrow my nephew is coming over while my mom and his mom go to knitting. He will love this soup and a steak 'um sandwich and probably have 2 sandwiches and a huge bowl of soup. He is a growing boy after all! LOL

Tiny Pasta and Pea Soup
Serves 6

Any small soup style pasta, such as stelline, orzo, or acini di pepe, can be used in this soup. If needed, the "battuto", an Italian version of a French "mirepoix", can be made without a food processor, by finally chopping the ingredients by hand (which is what I did. I also added some celery which was starting to spoil. It's good w/celery too!) Once cooked, the battuto becomes a "soffritto" & is an excellent flavor base for sauces & soups.

1 1/2 ounces prosciutto, coarsely chopped - 1/4 cup (Dad thinks the prosciutto is stringy, so I substituted a ham slice in tiny cubes and it was more then half a cup)
2 TBSP. of butter, cut into small cubes
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, smashed
12 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 quarts low-sodium {or homemade} chicken stock - 8 cups
1/2 cup pastina
1/2 cups peas {fresh or frozen} - we had some of a bag left over so I used it all. It was more then half a cup, probably 3/4 of a cup.
1/2 cup tiny diced carrots ( we had a package of fresh baby carrots that were starting to go so I used them all up which was more then 1/2 cup but not a whole cup.)
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper {to taste}
grated Parmesan {for serving}

Add the prosciutto, butter, onion, garlic & basil to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until the ingredients are finely chopped. This mixture is called a battuto. Heat a large, heavy pot over med. heat & add the battuto. Cook, stirring occasionally, until everything gets soft, about 8-10 min. (I threw in all the veggies I chopped w/the butter & garlic plus the ham and cooked them 8-10 min.)
Pour in the chicken stock & bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer & stir in the pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 min., or until the pasta is about half done. Add the peas & carrots. (I accidentally threw in the carrots w/the other veggies in the bowl when I was chopping them. It didn't make a difference in the end.) Cook for 3-4 min. or until the veg. & pasta are just tender. Season the soup w/a generous amount of kosher salt {or to taste} & some freshly ground black pepper.
Serve the sop w/a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
By RifleBuddy Comments: 306, member since Tue Aug 26, 2003
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 07:49 AM
Last night, since I had rehearsal and the hubby lost track of time, we had a spontaneous burger and fries dinner a few blocks away, since neither of us wanted to cook.

Tonight is either beef stew or potato and bacon soup.
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 07:55 AM
If your making the potato and bacon soup, is there a recipe because that sounds yummy.
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 07:14 PM
My nephew came over and so did my youngest sister who went knitting w/my mom. My middle sister also came over so we all had soup. My nephew who is not a fan of veggies but because they were diced small ate all of them had 2 bowls! Praise the Lord! He had a whole grilled cheese and Steak 'Um sandwich on handmade Italian bread from a bakery about 1/2 hour away from me that our supermarket sells and then because all we had were some small pieces and he didn't want a whole sandwich, he had a small sandwich. My sister had one bowl and one whole sandwich. I had a small bowl and didn't finish all of it. I had a half a sandwich. Dad had the rest of his chicken pot pie.
re: What's for dinner tonight? (karma: 1)
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:02 PM
Butternut squash soup (onion, garlic, ginger, a touch of curry powder, cumin, roasted butternut, chicken stock and coconut milk), hubby had a grilled cheese sandwich with his. I finished mine with a slice of sweet potato pie.
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:09 PM
I just grilled chicken breasts and threw some goat cheese, peppers, tomatoes, and balsamic on them and stuck them under the broiler for a few minutes. We had a prepackaged "superfood salad" (ugh) that I get at Costco and which is unbelievably delicious despite the stupid name. And seasonal, as there's cranberries, pumpkin seeds, Brussels sprouts, kale, and more in it.

I could probably eat only goat cheese for the rest of my life and be totally happy.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:51 PM
Last night was what I'm calling chicken parmasagne. Chicken thigh fillets butterflied out, layered with boconcini and doused in pasta sauce, then baked for 25-30 min. I served it with couscous and steamed broccoli.

And it was pretty good!
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 08:30 PM
Tonight we had Must Go. Everything in the refrigerator must go! LOL My dad made that up and when we go out to eat and have leftovers he tell the wait person "Tomorrow is my turn to cook and we are having Must Go." They ask what that is and then he says "Everything in the refrigerator must go!" They get a kick out of that.

I had part of a chicken pot pie that was left over (it's now all gone) and some yummy mac and cheese that I made last night that had bacon in it. Mom had some pasta w/red sauce that I made w/a slice of pizza and some beets she made. Dad had the same pasta, an Oscar Mayer cheese dog & some of those beets. It was yummy!

I also made some Amish Apple bread today and mom & dad each had a piece. They loved it!
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:57 PM
I cooked the big Thanksgiving dinner for our families today. We had:

Homemade French bread with garlic and fresh mozzarella, served with bruschetta and balsamic reduction
Turkey, brined and roasted
Stuffing (my mother's recipe, with sausage I ground)
Roasted broccoli with lemon, asiago, pine nuts, and truffle
Brussels sprouts roasted with maple and balsamic
Pommes de terre Duchesse (the Julia Child recipe with six egg yolks. Eeek.)
Grand Marnier cranberry sauce

Then I made individual pumpkin pies and mini chocolate bundt cakes. I did homemade Baileys ice cream or whipped cream with them.

Obviously it wasn't light, haha, but everyone seemed to enjoy it.
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 PM
My mom did the big traditional Thanksgiving dinner thing tonight so hubby and I went there for dinner. My parents have a market garden and this really is the end of this years harvest so dinner was full of delicious homegrown organic root veggies, the apples in the pie came from their tree and the "pumpkin" pie was made with a homegrown squash. She did a turkey and dressing as well but the veggies really stole the show.

Best part- I got to take home a turkey carcass and enough meat to make soup! Yay!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 PM
I just ate the most perfect avocado ever! Yup that was dinner: a gigantic avocado mashed up with lemon juice and tamari, eaten with tortilla chips. But then there were only small tortilla chips left in the bag, so I dumped the pieces onto the quacamole, stirred it all together and ate with a spoon, omg soooo good! Dessert was half a dark chocolate bar.

Lol, it wasn't a composed dinner, just grabbed what was around, but after a fourteen hour day it was the most delicious meal! :)
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:11 AM
The young man (#2) staying with me felt he needed to make dinner for us, so I let him have the kitchen tonight. He made baked chicken thighs and legs on a bed of sliced oranges, lemons and onions, and sprinkled with rosemary, basil and I'm not sure what else. He also made his favorite Jello salad, orange with whipped cream, cottage cheese and mandarin oranges. And a creamy, parmesan, cheesy pasta. It was quite delicious!

kk~
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 04:54 AM
^ my mouth is watering at all of that. Sounds delicious! Perhaps a little more so because you didn't have to cook it yourself.

Tonight was celery, fennel and leek risotto with kidney beans and poached pears with coconut ice cream for dessert.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 07:00 AM
^ Risotto sounds lovely, have you got a recipe? Could I substitute another type of bean do you think?

My dinner will most likely be cottage pie. I made it instead of a Sunday roast and there was enough for us both to have seconds, plus Tim to have lunch on Monday, PLUS another small pie leftover. So I'll have some of the leftover one and freeze the rest I think. Not feeling advanced cookery this evening.
Page:
Page 4 of 151 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 15

ReplySendWatch