Forum: General / Travel

Travel
Hawaii, here we come!
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 07:23 PM

Just booked our flights for January for 8 nights!

And I'm taking three teenagers- aargh- I must be mad.

16 Replies to Hawaii, here we come!

re: Hawaii, here we come!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 07:52 PM
Which island are you going to?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 08:24 PM
You're not crazy, and I promise you'll be glad you did this.

My oldest went to HPU for her first year of college and we made several trips with our younger kids. It was expensive and it was hard work, but if I had it to do again, I would have done it a few more times! One of the best family memories we all have.

*gush over....*

What island?

Keep On Dancing*
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 09:08 PM
Bon voyage!

And no, you are not mad. Those teens probably will surrender their excess energy to the surf, which means that they won't exhaust you.
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 PM
We're only going to Maui. Next time (?) we might venture further afield.

This will be our east-est trip, as we've tended to travel north west to Scotland and Europe, but we have been east to New Zealand. I was looking at the large map on the travel agent's wall and realised there was a lot of the world we haven't seen yet. sigh

I got very quite reasonable airfares and what I believe to be a good room rate, close but not too close to the centre of Waikiki and a block from the beach.

Excited much? Yep!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:00 PM
If you need some restaurant recommendations on Maui let me know. We were married there and I've been several times.
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 PM
Maui is AMAZING you will love it!
re: Hawaii, here we come! (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Sep 16, 2013 06:08 AM
Waikiki is on Oahu. Are you sure you're going to Maui?

All the beaches in Hawaii are public, you can walk over to any of the beaches, even the ones that front the really swanky resorts. Visit the ABC shops for great buys on souvenirs and such. There's one on every block in Waikiki.

kk~
On Wed Sep 18, 2013 04:08 AM
Edited by chrispbin (158209) on 2013-09-18 04:10:07 Addendum
I know, KK! Obviously US geography is not my forte!

Thanks for the info, too.

Yes, Oahu. Sorry USens.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Wed Sep 18, 2013 09:14 AM
:O Oh my word, going to Hawaii has been one of my dreams for the longest!

could you take and share pictures, please please please?

I'm multi-colored with envy!

I hope it is nothing short of an absolutely divine trip!

Shadow.
re: Hawaii, here we come! (karma: 2)
On Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 PM
Ok, then. Thought that was a mix up. :) If you are renting a car, drove up to the North Shore. The Polynesian Cultural Center is there. Plan to spend a whole day. You get to see how Hawaii was in the old days and there is a Luau and a show also. On the way to the North Shore stop at Pali Lookout for a great view.

If you feel like a good hike, go up Diamond Head. It's right there beside Waikiki beach.

If you have a rainy day and need an indoor activity, the Royal Palace is a good tour.

If you are interested in WWII history there are several good sites. The Punchbowl, Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri.

The Market is great shopping! You can spend lots of time there.

Have a great time and share pics. I love Oahu!

kk~
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Sep 18, 2013 07:22 PM
I also liked the Doris Duke house. Make sure you eat shaved ice. If you are brave try adzuki beans with shaved ice. I still crave it! Snorkeling in Hanuma bay shouldn't be missed. You can also learn to surf, swim with dolphins at the aquarium, get in a shark cage and take a submarine cruise. The best secret beach in Oahu is Lanikai. Beautiful! You will have a lot of fun there.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 08:16 AM
Oahu is small but there is a ton of great stuff to do and you'll appreciate the small size, if not the traffic.

Don't forget to visit the Arizona Memorial out at Pearl Harbor. In addition to the presentation in the theater, there is a WWII era submarine, The Bowfin, to board and tour. The boat trip out to the Arizona is short and shouldn't be missed. It really is a sacred experience.

Where are you staying? Most of the hotels on the island are in Wikiki, but there is a big difference between one and another. The International Market is close to the hotels, and shouldn't be missed. Don't shop for souvenirs until you visit there. KK mentioned the ABC stores... they are all different, so if you visit one and don't find what you're looking for, keep looking.

If you ride up the Pali for the lookouts, be sure to check out Kāneʻohe Bay. The Queen's palace is also along that road and there are some great beaches up there. Most of the locals do not use the Wikiki ocean front...too many tourists, and the other beaches are bigger.

Dukes is a must do for breakfast. Right on the boulevard and the beach...imagine! Also, check out the free publications for discount coupons on dinner cruises and luaus.

The island is relatively small. About the size of our local school district(!) so with careful planning you can do a TON of stuff. If you don't have a rented car for your whole stay, THE BUS is cheap, reliable, and easy to locate.

I hope you all have a wonderful time. Wish I was going too!

Keep On Dancing*
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 09:21 AM
We went to Hawaii for my Senior trip in high school.

I would recommend eating pineapples if you can, fresh ones. I always thought pineapples hurt my mouth, but the first time I ate them on the Island, they were so sweet like candy.

If you want to snorkel, don't do it on the tourist beach. I would ask a couple locals where the best spots are. They told us about this little place where rocks surrounded it so no sharks can get through. It was FILLED with tropical fish and barely anyway was there, no crowded expensive tourist trap.
re: Hawaii, here we come! (karma: 1)
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 PM
I should also mention to allow for driving time. The speed limit is low on the island, only about 25-35 mph in most places. One stretch of highway in Honolulu is 50 but most places are under 40 and the roads are curvy, so it takes extra time to get to places.

The Dole Plantation is a great tourist spot, too. It's in the middle of the island.

Kailua beach was my favorite beach. It's on the eastern shore. Oh, and the ranch, Kualoa, where they filmed Jurassic Park, Hawaii 5-O, Lost and other shows is open for tours. it's near Kaneohe Bay.

And yes, they have the BEST pineapple! So fresh, not tart at all. Do try some Kona coffee, it's my favorite coffee. But you can probably safely skip the poi. Taste it, but don't expect to like it. It's very bland.

There is a gorgeous botanic garden, Waimea on the North Shore with an easy hike to a waterfall and lagoon area where you can swim and get a hula lesson. Much fun!

This is making me want to go again!

kk~
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 07:01 PM
Just got back from Hawaii this week!

The Honolulu Zoo is awesome. Lots of animals I have never seen in an Australian zoo, and some I have seen in my cousins' lounge room (my cousins used to have a pet galah, and this zoo has a couple on display LOL)

Diamond Head hike is amazing but quite challenging. Go early in the day before it gets hot and wear sensible shoes. Don't walk up it in thongs at 1pm like Kylie and I did.

Go to Chase Car Rental on Uluniu Street (off Kalakaua Avenue) for a great deal on a hire car (behind the Hyatt Regency, it's a vacant block with a desk and an umbrella on it). Way cheaper than any of the big name hire places (Hertz, Avis, etc), and while it may look like an amateur operation run by a couple of long haired slackers, they are VERY professional and have great cars. Kylie and I got this from them and it was amazing. They also hire Jeeps and stuff too.

Make sure you eat at least once at Cheeseburger in Paradise. I had a vegetarian cheeseburger there that was the best vegetarian burger I have ever had in my entire life.

Cocktails. They are cheap and you must drink lots of them. If you are into beer the Kona Brewing Company's Longboard Island Lager is an excellent brew.

Make sure you spend lots of time floating around in the blue waters of Waikiki. Kylie and I bought inflatable li-lo's from the ABC Store and spent hours just drifting around in the sunshine.

Hire a car and drive through the centre of the island and onto the Kamehameha highway to the North Shore. In January the waves at Waimea Bay are huge and that's well worth a visit. Additionally the Waimea Valley botanical gardens are gorgeous. You'll see plants and flowers you've never seen before, as well as immersing yourself in Hawaiian culture. There is also a waterfall at the end of the walk, so bring your swimming things because you'll be able to swim in it.

Take the long way back to Waikiki - keep driving north along the Kam Highway. Make sure you stop at one of the many food trucks for some shrimp or some fresh pineapple or a shave ice. Take your time and make a day of the trip, stop frequently to take photos of the mountains and ocean.

If you really want a challenge visit the Koko Head Stairs. It's 1000 steps straight up, and looks something like a vertical train line. Kylie and I didn't climb this but we did take some photos from the foot of the stairs. Pretty remarkable.

If you want to snorkel Hanauma Bay make sure you organise to do this with a group. Parking is at a premium in the park, so it's much easier to get there with a tour group as they'll provide you with the snorkel gear and transport to the Bay and back to Waikiki. Bring an underwater camera.

I'm so excited for you! I have only been back home since Tuesday night and already I want to go back!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Fri Sep 20, 2013 01:46 AM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to post! You're all great, and your tips are very helpful.

Just had to quote this one, though...
Cocktails. They are cheap and you must drink lots of them. If you are into beer the Kona Brewing Company's Longboard Island Lager is an excellent brew.

I'm allergic to alcohol and I'm travelling with two 16 year olds and a 14 year old! Yeah, don't think there'll be much tippling!

ReplySendWatch