Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Having a Space-themed party. Need ideas.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 01:23 AM

So on October 5th I will be celebrating my 30th birthday with a space-themed party. I have a dress, I have a marquee, and I have 50 glow sticks on their way to me via Ebay.

Now all I need is ideas for how to decorate the marquee. I included my invitation at the top (identifying info blurred out), so you can get an idea of the colours I like and the general feel I am going for, so hit me with your best shots.

I want to mostly avoid a kind of "NASA, sciencey" feel, and keep it trippy and celestial, rather than clinical and hard-sciencey.

I'm thinking purple, blue, silver and black balloons and streamers, lots of glow sticks, fairy lights, and so on. Any other ideas?

Erin.
::righteous babe::

6 Replies to Having a Space-themed party. Need ideas.

re: Having a Space-themed party. Need ideas.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 06:14 AM
I hate to be negative, but I want your party to be safe. Remember, lights generate heat. Colored transparent foils and balloons can be flammable. Metal foils conduct electricity.

And finally, guests can do the dumbest things. I once had a "friend" who turned an alcohol upside down despite my shouts.
By Laurannemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 258, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 06:35 AM
I love the idea!! Whatever about glow in the dark stars? www.amazon.com . . .
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 07:51 AM
Milty us right, balloons will pop with enough heat so I advise filling the black ones with glitter. Big, chunky confetti like glitter. But fairy lights won't make them pop, so either have a canned light they sit against and get hot from or provide pins for popping. ;)
re: Having a Space-themed party. Need ideas. (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 07:52 AM
I'm assuming that you'll have tables for food and possibly a few drinks :)

Black table cloths, they can be plastic ones if you don't want to spend out on fabric, and silver sequins scattered on the cloths, if you find them there are star shaped ones.

I'm really upset that you blanked out the personal details! Now how are we all supposed to crash your party?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:38 AM
Have you considered having Doctor Who playing in the background during the party?

You should totally have cookie shaped stars and decorate them with black frosting and use silver sprinkes on them. I think those would make an awesome centerpiece.

I also think you should make cakepops and decorate them like planets.

Also, you can fill glassvases with theme color candy and have a candy bar.
By RingingPhonePremium member Comments: 3509, member since Thu Nov 10, 2005
On Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 PM
My friend recently found balloon lights- they are little lights that you twist on and put inside balloons (preferably filled with helium) before tying them. She had tons of balloons on the ceiling at her wedding reception, it looked really cool!

ReplySendWatch