Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Advanced Beginner, is that possible?
By edgey_me Comments: 3, member since Wed Sep 25, 2013
On Wed Sep 25, 2013 04:48 PM

Hello,
I am a 20 year old active duty military girl. I have danced ballet, tap, and jazz age 4-16. I loved it, and still do the reason i stoped was due to business in high school and no "real" career in it for me. I have started taking Jazz VI and Jazz VII (the advanced high school and advanced "college- adult" classes) and Advanced Tap. I have found it pretty easy transitioning back into dance. My biggest problem is learning new steps (attidude jumps, pencil turns, we never even did jazz runs) my somewhat lacking small mid-wester town studio had to offer me growing up.

So with that intro over my question or need for advice is this:
how can I regain flexability? (specicially my back is weak and not flexable, also my left side in general is weaker and less flexable.)
how can I learn new combinations and techniques when i have no space to practice? ( i live in a two bedroom apartment and i am usually on duty sleeping on base)
any websites that has a list of jazz terms with instructions for me to brush up on?

1 Replies to Advanced Beginner, is that possible?

re: Advanced Beginner, is that possible?
By lamariesusanne Comments: 5, member since Sun Oct 13, 2013
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 08:58 AM
Hey,

so cool that you want to get back into dancing!

With flexibility, it's only stretching (as always). I've had problems with my back as well for a long time and I came to the conclusion that especially with the back stretching multiple times a day is much better than spending two hours in the evening stretching. Just be careful as I found it's something that gets hurt very easily!

I can't really help you with the space problem, but personally I made the experience that going through the steps in your head can help a lot - at any time by the way, while driving or while having dinner. Also, putting the music on your iPod helps, because whenever you hear the song, you can go through the steps.

I hope I could help you :)

ReplySendWatch