Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
New laptop or tablet, need advice
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:35 AM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2013-09-30 00:36:39

My lap top is finking out on me again. I'm pretty sure it is the same problem I fixed a few months ago. But it was alot of trouble to fix.

I'm looking for a new laptop or a tablet. I really like the idea of the Surface Pro 2 tablet that's coming out, I'm just not sure it will do what I need it to.

Itunes, I read that you can download itunes. Will I be able to sync it with my Ipod (I have a 160GB classic)? I have 17 GB of music, I'm assuming I can just transfer by putting them on an SD or USB (because obviously I can't insert a CD).

My NOOK. I don't need to hook it up to a computer if I'm buying books. But if I am downloading from the library I have to connect via USB with my computer and drag and drop it on there (have to have overdrive and adobe digital additions).

Other than that I just need something to write with. I'm planning on going back to school and long papers are in my future. Internet...just email, FB, here and looking at cute animals really.

Can I do all of that with the Surface Pro 2 or should I just get a lap-top? Any other points I didn't consider?

I like the size and portability of a tablet. But if I can't do all of this, then it is out. I'm a little bit clueless so any advice is welcome.

3 Replies to New laptop or tablet, need advice

re: New laptop or tablet, need advice
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Oct 01, 2013 06:49 AM
Tablets are strictly a convenience device. They are by no means a computer substitute. Trying to write a college paper on a tablet would be like trying to write a college paper on an iPhone - in other words, you'd be crazy to give it a try. I have an iPad mini and a laptop, and I love them both and they've both got places in my life, but if I were going to be note taking and paper writing, I'd get a new laptop, for sure.
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Oct 01, 2013 07:54 AM
Have you looked into ultrabooks? They're basically designed to be a sort of tablet-laptop in one. Here's a commercial for it: www.youtube.com . . .

They're not as popular as either a tablet or of course a laptop, so I would read lots of reviews and play with it in-store (even if you don't end up buying from that particular store) before dropping nearly a grand on one.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Oct 02, 2013 09:35 PM
Hmm...I'll definitely have to play with one in the store (hopefully they have it so that the keyboard is out too).

An Ultrabook is also an option. I'll just have to play with one first.

I do have the option of using my parents desktop computer as well. I have an account on there and as long as I'm living with them I have access to it. They only use it pay bills and email.

ReplySendWatch