Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

New Dancer - Having trouble keeping up and practicing
By lrm
On Fri Oct 04, 2013 05:58 AM

Hello!

I just started ballet about a month ago. I have one 45 minute dance class a week. I am the only girl in my class who has never danced before - some of them have been in ballet for 7+ years, and some have just been dancing for 2. Either way, I'm kind of lost in the crowd. For example, my instructor is having us try for our double pirouettes in class when I can't even do a single on a bad day.

Anyway, being the only one without experience, I (rather, my lack of experience) sometimes am forgotten and get very lost. It's kind of disheartening, but I can't stay after class and get help because I have band practice right afterward and I carpool there.

Part of this is that I am very unfamiliar with the French terminology, so I can't look up what I'm doing online to get a refresher.

Does anyone have any tips as to what I could do to practice at home successfully?

Thank you very much!

4 Replies to New Dancer - Having trouble keeping up and practicing

re: New Dancer - Having trouble keeping up and practicing
By LizS24
On Fri Oct 04, 2013 06:05 AM
Well, firstly, try not to panic! We all have to start somewhere. There are some really good stickies on the beginner section which are worth a read.

www.dance.net . . .

www.dance.net . . .

Could you get to class a bit early, or email your teacher?
By MollyPitcher
On Fri Oct 04, 2013 04:05 PM
I understand. I started two months ago and it makes me frustated sometimes. These are the years I should be polishing my technique, and I can barely do the step! The important thing, I think, is to strengthen. Strength is my biggest weakness, no pun intended! Releves, plies, situps, and other exercises for the stretching board can really help your dancing.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 07:51 AM
First, you do have the power to keep learning at home! The American Ballet Theater has a wonderful online dictionary with videos to help you learn. Dance.net also has lots of resources for you, from old threads (like have been listed) to a number of teachers that are willing to give you something to work on.

On that note, avoid talking about what you CAN'T do and focus on what you CAN do--maybe you can't stay after class, but I'm sure there's a way you can meet with your teacher, or call your teacher, outside of class to have her give you a list of priorities (ex: be sure you focus on footwork first, then posture, then arm placement).

May I ask what this 45 minute class is called? I am skeptical that it is a "beginning" class if there are dancers that have been working on it for 7 years in it...is it an age-grouped class?
By gabbyballet
On Sat Jun 16, 2018 02:04 AM
Oof I started 9 years ago and still get flustered sometimes. I find Claudia Dean Couching on YT very helpful for small tips to polish your dancing as well as learning how to become more flexible, balance, etc..

ReplySendWatch