Popular Irish

Easy Reel to lilt - "Tell My Ma" song? by lorna_doone
So years ago my old TC used to sing that song when our music player wasn't working while we were...

Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Ask a Studio Owner
Dance flooring to put over carpet en>fr fr>en
By gottadance71 Comments: 795, member since Tue Jul 10, 2007
On Sun Oct 06, 2013 06:44 PM

Does any know if there is an affordable dance floor out there that can be laid over carpet? I am relocating and epanding. I just found a great new space to move in after a long hard search but they just spent $9,000 on a new carpet and will not rip it up. Not sure what to do. This may be the deal breaker. Any ideas or suggestions?

12 Replies to Dance flooring to put over carpet

re: Dance flooring to put over carpet en>fr fr>en
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 03:18 AM
Laminate/wooden floor with marley over it. The carpet is the alternative for the underfloor laminate needs.
By vfdtPremium member Comments: 2737, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 02:15 PM
snaplockdancefloors.com is what hotels use over their carpeted banquet halls. I bought their cheapest Base Floor = economy, dark gray, one square foot tiles, and they are indestructible, water-proof, and easy to assemble in minutes, without any tools.
By dancearts5678 Comments: 3, member since Mon Jun 17, 2013
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 07:42 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the snaplock tiles you purchased?
By agdance Comments: 127, member since Wed Apr 16, 2003
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 01:40 PM
I layed dance vinyl directly over thin commercial carpet and taped on top. It's a second floor so I didn't deal with sprung floor. It's been great and I haven't had any issues. My last space I built a sprung floor directly over carpet and had no problems either. Good Luck!
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 01:58 PM
^^^ I bought my (economy Base Floor) Snap Lock Dance Floor about 5 years ago, and vaguely remember paying around $500 for 500 square feet of it. It was August, when they have an annual sale, and it came quickly with free shipping, I believe.

Their website doesn't list prices, but they have Live Chat, so it wouldn't hurt to ask them for current pricing. I can't imagine anything better for being a portable easy install, and over carpet (plus concrete, grass, asphalt) too. They may send you a free sample tile to prove that it has some spring (no under-layment needed) and is embossed so not slippery. We did Pointe on it outdoors, and continue to use it as tap mats over our commercial white vinyl floor. Being one foot square tiles, you can configure it to any size as needed, without tools.
By dancearts5678 Comments: 3, member since Mon Jun 17, 2013
On Thu Oct 10, 2013 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info! Definitely going to look into it!
On Sat Oct 12, 2013 03:04 PM
Thanks so much for the information! I did get a sample of the snap lock flooring but was so afraid it wouldn't be durable, would peel and would be slippery. Do you love yours? Also, did you ever end up goin to omega dance competion last April?
On Sat Oct 12, 2013 03:07 PM
Thanks so much for the information! I did get a sample of the snap lock flooring but was so afraid it wouldn't be durable, would peel and would be slippery. Do you love yours? Also, did you ever end up goin to omega dance competion last April?
On Sat Oct 12, 2013 04:13 PM
^^^ My "base floor" economy snap-lock tiles are embossed with a surface design, so NOT slippery, and they are solid (nothing to peel), sturdy plastic = indestructible. I use them for every tap class, and after 5 years, no problems at all; they look and act brand new, despite being the lighter weight tiles. (I can't afford their heavier fancy wood-look tiles, that hotels would use for banquets.) Another SO I know bought them after seeing mine, and he's equally pleased.

P.S. Omega Competition near me never happened. I stopped by the venue that day, out of curiosity, and zilch. I'm guessing insufficient enrollment, but they didn't say that on their website. Instead, you couldn't access the needed info to enroll. They did continue to advertise, and looks like they had, a "national" in NJ, nonetheless. I always go look at a nearby Comp first, before we would ever consider joining it, as family friendly and non-risque is most important to us.

Our area is not that big on Comps and the few older established ones, such as Access Broadway, are sufficient. New ones can't pull in enough, and I've noted other newbies in prior years, that tried and failed. We only attend one per year, nearby "All American Talent," and like its style, low cost, and convenience.
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 06:55 PM
Vftd, What color is yours? Can you see the lines in between the tiles? would you feel them if you were dancing bare foot? I wonder if I could just buy 4. I really want to see it. Do you happen to have a picture of your floor? Did you put yours over carpet?
Thanks for all of your help.
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 07:59 PM
^^^ I bought their dark gray economy "Base Floor" tiles, and they have a subtle embossed design stamped into them - just enough to keep you from slipping. However, the tiles snap together tightly, but you can still see their lines, and perhaps you could feel the seams with bare feet. I suggest you buy 4 of their tiles and try it out for yourself, as we've never danced barefoot on ours, although we did do Pointe, Ballroom, and tap. We have placed our floor over grass, cement, vinyl commercial floor, and carpet.

I don't think my taking a picture of such a dark color will show you anything in detail. They do have a lot of pictures on their website, using their lighter colors.
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 08:39 PM
Thank you again! That's exactly what I plan to do :)

ReplySendWatch