Forum: Highland / Highland - Guys

Highland - Guys
Minimum req for boys costumes
By RidgeviewChick Comments: 61, member since Thu Oct 25, 2012
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 01:40 PM

My two boys have taken up highland dance this year and I am wondering what are the minimum requirements for their highland costumes for competition?

I have read through the rules, but some things are not really clear.

They are to wear a white dress shirt - but is this to be short-sleeved or long?

Can they wear any type of vest/waistcoat in place of a prince charlie jacket? (for primary and beginner levels)

I am sure I have more questions, but those were the top two.

Thanks!!

13 Replies to Minimum req for boys costumes

re: Minimum req for boys costumes
By Dancing_Pigletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 601, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 01:54 PM
Its pretty much the same as girls for pre premier as in they can wear short or long sleeves white, cream or matching tartan socks they don't need a hat or sporran although most boys do have a sporran.

I hope that helps
By Skyesbridge Comments: 320, member since Sun Feb 01, 2009
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 02:01 PM
A long sleeved white shirt, bow tie(although I think you can go without if just wearing the shirt, if adding a vest you need the bow tie) Kilt, white hose, sporran is perfectly fine.

You can add a vest (similiar to a suit vest, doesn't have to be a prince charlie vest) if desired (or you have one) jacket is not required.
By heather4 Comments: 550, member since Fri Dec 16, 2005
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 04:39 PM
When my son started as a primary dancer he wore a kiltie, white shirt, bow tie and white knee socks. It was perfectly acceptable.
By aamum Comments: 49, member since Mon May 10, 2010
On Mon Oct 07, 2013 07:56 PM
Both of my boys started in primary with a kiltie, white dress shirt from M&S or Wally's, white knee socks, a little black bow tie, a little sporran, and a black vest/waistcoat (just one from a boy's formal outfit, that I cut the buttons off of and replaced with silver highland buttons).

The hats were added in beginners along with proper kilts and tartan hose (though you could stick with a kiltie a little longer), and then tux shirts and PC jackets in premier.
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 AM
So, long sleeved shirts are preferred over short sleeve?

Where would one get a boys size sporran?

Does anyone have any pictures of their primary/ beginner boys? Perhaps a picture would help me visualize better.

Thanks for the help!!
By leesheesmom Comments: 416, member since Thu May 22, 2008
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 PM
Edited by leesheesmom (196591) on 2013-10-08 12:55:34 added info
It has been a few years, but when my little guy danced, this is what he wore. Minus the hoodie of course! lol!
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 01:46 PM
He looks so cute!!! thanks for the pic! Was he wearing a long-sleeved shirt or short?
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 01:48 PM
And how did you get the sporran to stay up? did his kilt have belt loops? I think I will need to put belt loops on my son's kilt.
By leesheesmom Comments: 416, member since Thu May 22, 2008
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 02:01 PM
It was a long sleeve shirt and I had some hints about pulling the sporran high and tight to prevent it bouncing too much in his lap region.
On Tue Oct 08, 2013 02:05 PM
Thanks so much for your help!! It was great to see a picture. So many details in highland dance :)
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Oct 09, 2013 01:57 AM
Here are some more examples. I have obscured faces except my son. Here are some tiny sporrans buyakilt.com . . . you shouldn't need belt loops, just make it tight.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Oct 09, 2013 02:12 AM
Minimum requirements for pre-premier boys are white shirt ( sleeve length not specified), tie (type not specified), kilt of any tartan that comes to the top of the knee, white/cream or colored sox to match kilt (may also be tartan or diced), dance shoes, sporran (dress or leather), dark underwear or underwear matching kilt but not white.

Optional: hat, jacket, vest, kilt pin, flashes.

No hat feathers or knife.

Before buying anything, review it with your teacher. This will save you some costly mistakes!
On Wed Oct 09, 2013 08:51 AM
Wow, LoriCook! look at all those boys dancing!! Thanks so much for sharing. I am going to show those pictures to my boys. So encouraging for them.

Thanks for the sporran link - such great deals there. Perfect for beginner dancers who may or may not be in it for the long haul.

Thanks for summarizing the rules. I think that helped to get things more clear in my mind. I will definitely be in talks with my teacher before we make any purchases, but it is good to have a starting point.

ReplySendWatch