Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Politics & Current Affairs
President Barack Obama just delivered what might be the quote of the year.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 07:19 AM

As Congress continues to butt heads over Obamacare funding and the looming debt ceiling vote, the president’s critics continually knock him for voting against a debt limit hike in 2006 when he was a member of the U.S. Senate.
On Thursday, the president offered a simple explanation.
“Nothing has changed,” Obama told WFLA (radio or TV station) in an interview. “I voted against a debt ceiling increase at the time because I had some concerns about what President (George W.) Bush was doing.”
Really.
Obama’s concerns might have evolved over time, though. During his 2006 floor speech against the increase, he delivered a quote that circulates widely through social media and email chains.
Here it is:
The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here.” Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Yes, it was O who said that.

17 Replies to President Barack Obama just delivered what might be the quote of the year.

re: President Barack Obama just delivered what might be the quote of the year.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 08:57 AM
Because clearly no one has ever used a politician's words from 7 years ago against them. Genius.

*insert eyeroll here*
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:12 PM
There's a world of difference between being a senator and being a second-term president. It's sort of like working as a cashier and then becoming a manager. When you're the cashier, you think that the manager does everything wrong, sits on their butt in the back and does whatever they want. Only when you're handed that level of responsibility do you realize that you knew nothing.
re: President Barack Obama just delivered what might be the quote of the year. (karma: 1)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 08:56 PM
Cool story, bro.

TL;DR: Schuh has been listening to too much Glenn Beck.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 PM
Actually the national debt is falling faster than it has in 60 years according to economists. Now with that statistics brings a bit of caution because the deficit as a percent has never been higher, so any movement is going to be a bigger percentage than other years. BUT while the deficit might decline, the country’s accumulated debt is projected to grow with or without the debt ceiling raised.

The president isn't to blame for any single problem in my opinion. There are a lot of working parts, advisers, and back door agreements that are made. I don't believe for one moment that we'd be in a better place with Mitt Romney. I do know that my reproductive rights would be on trial...so I'll continue to vote for anyone who is pro-choice first and foremost, then look at the other issues.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:13 PM
It's SO painfully obvious Milt didn't write that OP. So I googled it, and here's the site he plagiarized it from.

watchdog.org . . .

tsk tsk.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 05:22 AM
Panic, some of the comments on that site you posted are troubling:
the first spending cut should be Obama family vacations and Obama's salary--in fact, he should be paying rent for the White House and paying all the staff himself.

I just let that sit here.

>Just an ignorant Australian passing by. Question: I don't know how American politics works, but why is the president such an important role or is it like in Australia that this 'importance' is media driven? In Australian politics the senate is the most powerful and even if you have a loony prime-minister having a sane senate would be A-OK.
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 05:49 AM
Oh so its from Watchdog which is obviously biased toward ANYTHING democrat or remotely liberal.
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 06:26 AM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2013-10-14 08:17:36 Reference was up 3 levels, not two.
^^^Christopher, that article is labeled
Please, feel free to "steal our stuff"!
, but yes, Watchdog.org should be credited.
re: President Barack Obama just delivered what might be the quote of the year. (karma: 2)
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 08:02 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://31.media.tumblr.com/a628923c82d386199e98f46dba8578f3/tumblr_mufus4EsrU1rx70ego1_500.jpg'
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 08:16 AM
^Then I would expect you to acknowledge your former opinion and to state in detail what led you to change your opinion.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:39 AM
^Why? What do I owe you beyond stating I've changed my opinion? It's none of your business why I changed it. For all you know, it changed based on a private and/or personal experience I'd rather not share. Or I could've changed based on the experience of someone close to me where I couldn't share out of respect for them.

If you want full disclosure and I don't want to give it, tough tacos.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 AM
The situation in 2006 was different. Period. Therefore, his opinion on the 2006 situation isn't relevant to the situation today. The only thing they have in common is the idea of a debt limit increase, but the reasoning and the circumstances are not the same. I'm not an American and don't even follow your politics extremely closely and I've grasped that fact pretty easily.
re: President Barack Obama just delivered what might be the quote of the year. (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Oct 14, 2013 03:58 PM
Gavrilushka wrote:

Panic, some of the comments on that site you posted are troubling:
the first spending cut should be Obama family vacations and Obama's salary--in fact, he should be paying rent for the White House and paying all the staff himself.

I just let that sit here.

>Just an ignorant Australian passing by. Question: I don't know how American politics works, but why is the president such an important role or is it like in Australia that this 'importance' is media driven? In Australian politics the senate is the most powerful and even if you have a loony prime-minister having a sane senate would be A-OK.

The sad fact... read "my opinion".... here is that just as the inside power brokers of his time would not allow Jimmy Carter, a decent human being but a less than skilled politician, to lead, those who really control the power in this country today, IMHO the bankers and insurance companies, will not let a black man lead this country into the 21st century, even 13 years into it. Although they may claim, "That's ridiculous. This has nothing to do with race. Some of my best friends are black" (or some unreasonable facsimile thereof)or even point to this or that black VP on their board of directors, the reality, as I see it, is NO MATTER WHAT did guy did, he isn't going to be allowed to get anything done.

So many of the things he's been blamed for aren't his doing. That ridiculous quote about the Obama family vacations almost doesn't deserve addressing, expect that a side by side comparison to Geo W. would be a perfect example of just how tilted the constant irrelevant criticism of this president really is.

There are three branches of government in this country. In the end, the Supreme Court is much more influential and/or dangerous than the president. However, since the justices do not run for office let alone re-election, they lack the celebrity/media "darling" attention which is sadly, focused on the President.

*to all non-American DDN memebers* PLEASE so not judge most of us by the political circus the media presents. Most of us are decent human beings.

Keep On Dancing*
re: President Barack Obama just delivered what might be the quote of the year. (karma: 2)
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 09:50 AM

We get it...you hate Obama.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 09:55 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-10-15 09:56:02 Nevermind
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 08:07 AM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2013-11-10 08:20:01 to correct the link.
Imadanseur, this "horse" is not even ousted, let alone dead. and my dislike of Obama is far from arbitrary. So "sorry" if I never learned to cherish situations such as this:
www.youtube.com . . .

PinUpGirl, as long as there is no fiduciary relationship between you and me, no reason for me to trust your word or to consider that your manifest values will remain stable, then it is none of my business whether you change your mind. The situation with candidates or elected officials, however, is different.

Actually I supported Obama back in 2008 - even contributed to his campaign. That support was based on his platform, past performance, and stated views. And grudgingly, considering the alternatives, it was based on what I then knew of his character. I knew that my trust had been betrayed the moment he boarded Air Force One for the first time.

Obama had run on "change you can believe in". Sorry, any change I can believe in would have to include the setting of a good frugal personal example - particularly in a time of financial stress. I had every right to expect disbusiness as unusual.
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Sun Nov 10, 2013 08:13 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://www.ijreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/facedesk-facedesk-facepalm-fail-demotivational-posters-13106446171.jpg'

ReplySendWatch