Forum: Highland / Highland - Guys

Highland - Guys
Male jackets
By fusilli Comments: 31, member since Sun Oct 06, 2013
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 01:26 PM

I am just looking over the male dress code for highland by sohda, and one that seems open to much interpretation is the jacket, simply "any recognized style of doublet". Considering only the girls have ready made jackets and guys kilt outfits are generally designed for very inactive/formal wear (weddings etc.) is it better to buy a Prince Charlie/Montrose/other doublet and get it altered, or have it specially made? You don't want excessive padding, sleeves sliding down when arms are raised, other problems. What have others done?

Similar with the waistcoat, and do you need both or can you wear just one or the other?

4 Replies to Male jackets

re: Male jackets
By heather4 Comments: 550, member since Fri Dec 16, 2005
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 04:38 PM
My son is a premier dancer and wears the Prince Charlie with waistcoat. We have always had his jackets specially made for dancing. Off the rack jackets can work but may need to be altered so that they look good when arms are raised etc. My son is very slim and has long arms, so off the rack would never work for him.
By Dancemom44 Comments: 492, member since Thu Oct 11, 2007
On Wed Oct 16, 2013 07:01 AM
So far we have managed to buy used Prince Charlie Jackets worn by other dancers or have bought x-hire Prince Charlie Jackets and had them altered. My 14 year old son is slim with long arms. His current jacket was a 34" long x-hire. We had a very talented seamstress let put in gussets, re-set the shoulders to make them narrower, remove some padding, take the sleeves down, etc. It looks great now. We did it for about half the cost of a new jacket. It only works though if you have a way to make the sleeves long enough. Dancers need a much longer sleeve than is normally needed.
By RidgeviewChick Comments: 61, member since Thu Oct 25, 2012
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Very interesting.
By RidgeviewChick Comments: 61, member since Thu Oct 25, 2012
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

ReplySendWatch