Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
Web Cam
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 03:55 PM

I'm part of a new business marketing group and we meet once a week for the next 8 weeks via google hangout. What I didn't know was that I'd need to have a web cam so we can video conference.

How complicated is it to get and install a camera so I can do this??

Ugh now I need to actually take a shower and look good before this meeting. My pj's are so much more comfortable.

7 Replies to Web Cam

re: Web Cam
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 04:12 PM
If you have a laptop that is not too old, you may already have one. Look at the very top of the screen frame.

kk~
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 04:35 PM
Nope lap top mother board fried a month ago. only have our pc right now unless The Great Pumpkin will bring me one soon.
By MonkeyStepsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 294, member since Wed Dec 15, 2010
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 06:56 PM
Back in the day, I used to have one very similar to this one: www.pcworld.co.uk . . .

All I had to do was plug it in, then when I was using a programme that could use the webcam (Skype, for example) it would work. Once or twice it wouldn't work automatically, but all that took was a couple of clicks in the Control Panel (assuming you have Windows).

Most of them either come plug-and-play like that one, or they'll have a disc which installs it for you. It's all fairly simple, really! :)
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 08:19 PM
I had one for like $30 at Best Buy. Very simple, just basically plugged it into my USB. The one I had hooked over the top of my laptop....not sure how thick your monitor is but I am sure it would be fine
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Oct 15, 2013 09:35 PM
It should be pretty easy. You may have to put in a disc and run a wizard in addition to plugging it in, but that should be about it.

kk~
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Wed Oct 16, 2013 07:02 AM
Yup, they're mostly "plug and play" now. You may have to insert a disc and click through, but mine installed automatically. I think mine is an LG, but I love that brand.

I would recommend not getting the cheapest one by a brand you don't recognize. You don't have to go super expensive, but this is one of those tech items where you get what you pay for to an extent. A slightly better camera will give the people viewing you a better, smoother picture. I think someone mentioned about $30, and that's not a bad pricepoint. I actually lucked out when I bought my last one, and got a pretty good camera on sale.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Oct 16, 2013 03:26 PM
Agreed. For any relatively new-ish camera, you should just plug it in, and it should work.

Or you could just use your phone/tablet. howto.cnet.com . . .
That's for android, but there are similar apps available for iOS.

ReplySendWatch