Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
My God! Having Some Major Home Repairs Done :(
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4729, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Wed Oct 16, 2013 03:03 PM

I'm not sure if this would be the right place to post this. Mods, feel free to move it if need be.

Last Friday night, I heard a bump as of someone coming downstairs. It was followed by a sound as of a combination of a low rushing and floorboards squeaking. I heard the same sound about two hours later. The sound was a bit louder. In the morning, my dad showed me that the entire bathroom, hallway, and study were completely flooded. Most of the basement was flooded, and the drop ceiling had fallen. My dad called a home remodeller and said, "We've got a hell of a mess out here. Can you come out and have a look at it?". The remodeller came out an hour and a half later. He found that the pipe under the bathroom sink had broken. Insurance inspectors whom my dad called pointed out the water damage. They said we would need a new vanity in the bathroom, new floor tiles in the bathroom and study, and new wall panelling in the basement. More repairmen are working right now on removing floorboards that had sustained water damage. Right now, too, we have three industrial strength dehumidifiers going upstairs on the main floor, and three industrial strength dehumidifiers going in the basement. The repairman told us just now that the floorboards in the hallway, study, and kitchen are going to have to be replaced. Everything in the kitchen and study are of course going to have to be packed. I really don't know if my dad and I are going to be able to stay at home, or if we're going to have find somewhere else to stay until the repairs get done.

What a freaking mess we have here :( . I'm just thankful that none of our valuables got damaged. As it was, a highland dancing trophy I have sustained a bit of water damage. Fortunately, though, it was nothing that some varnigh and refinishing can't handle. It's a good thing, too, that the electrical wires here are well insulated. If the wires hadn't been well insulated, we would have had a major fire. If that had happened, we would have lost all of our valuables, since there wouldn't have been time for us to get them out.

12 Replies to My God! Having Some Major Home Repairs Done :(

re: My God! Having Some Major Home Repairs Done :(
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Wed Oct 16, 2013 06:31 PM
This sounds like a major headache. I hope the repairs go well and that your insurance covers most of it.
On Wed Oct 16, 2013 08:15 PM
It was really good of the home remodeller to come out First thing Saturday morning. He fixed the pipe under the bathroom sink.

I said to one of the repairmen today, "When I heard the sound of floorboards squeaking, could that have been from the pressure of the water on them?". He said, "That's possible.".

The repairmen said the floorboards in the hallway, kitchen, living room, and study are going to have to be replaced to make sure the tiles and boards match. The repairmen are going to be here first thing tomorrow morning. I'm going to ask them, "Will the floorboards in my bedroom have to be replaced as well?". I cringe to think of the possibility of the floorboards in my bedroom needing to be replaced.

When I heard the bumps and floorboards creaking, I don't know why I didn't get up to investigate the cause of the noises.

Heh heh. I can just see my mom going spastic about all of this.
On Thu Oct 17, 2013 08:25 AM
Oh my God! A contractor who was just here told us that all of the floorboards in the study, kitchen, bathroom, and hallway are going to have to be removed. He told us that the floorboards are made of old asbestos. The insurance contractors who came out here yesterday are not licensed to remove old asbestos floorboards. He said he'd call someone who is licensed to do that sort of work, and would call us when he does find contractors who are licensed.

My dad and I are going to have to find somewhere else to stay until the job gets completed. I honestly don't know where we'll stay for that long.
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 06:30 PM
Update: I'm happy to report that the contractors determined that the floorboards are still structurally sound. It's only the floor tiles that are going to need replacing. My dad's going to call the contractors Monday morning to see how soon they can come out here to get started on the job. I'm guessing it's going to take about 3-4 days to complete the job. We're going to have the whole main floor done in the same laminate tiles (just as my mom had wanted for several years). I'm not sure what the contractors are going to do downstairs in the basement. I'm thankful that the wallboards downstairs are still structurally sound. It's just the wall panelling, and likely some of the dropped ceiling, that will need to be replaced. The vanity in the bathroom is of course going to need to be replace (again, just as my mom had wanted for several years).

I believe my dad is going to stay in a motel in a nearby town while the new floor tiles are being laid here at home. I'm going to stay with my aunt.

It's still a pain in the arse right now to still need three industrial-strength dehumidifiers going on the main floor, and to have four industrial-strength dehumidifiers going downstairs in the basement.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 08:00 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2013-10-19 20:01:01
Wall panels whether dry wall or some sore of composite is a comparatively trivial repair. (Note I didn't say necessarily inexpensive, but mechanically trivial. Drop ceiling tiles, if it is just the tiles to be replaced (not the grid) is about $1.00 per sq. foot. I redid the entire finished-off portion of my basement three years ago, about 1200 sq. ft. This was a redo of what I finished off in the mid-70s and mostly was to update the "oh so 1970's look." I was too thorough when I put up paneling in the 1970's and getting it down was the hard part. I replaced it with paint and drywall. I redid the entire ceiling grid and all. A drop ceiling in a basement is a wise choice, especially when you want to route some new wiring or plumbing. Fortunately, my redo was not based upon some catastrophe, just a desire to update, so we had time to plan. I did almost all the work myself. I have done a catastrophic (to me) renovation some 25 years ago when a dishwasher flooded the kitchen floor and buckled the floor. That caused us to finally get rid of the cheap job the original builder put in the house. Two years ago we did a "gut and replace" the entire kitchen, but we had a great contractor do that. That cost more [$55K] than what we paid for the entire house [$45K] but we bought the house 40 years ago. A year ago we redid both main floor bathrooms and this year had the exterior painted and also painted two bedrooms and the hallway connecting all four bedrooms. We still have one bedroom to paint/redo (son's former bedroom) but that was the staging area for painting the other bedrooms. As we have an empty nest (my kids are in their mid-late 40's and long gone) we technically have one bedroom and five dens. When all that stuff was moved into that one bedroom, that room looked like an episode of those "hoarder" shows on TV.

Jon
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2013-10-26 10:11:13
Further update:

The insurance claims adjuster came here yesterday to determine how much of the cost that insurance would cover. We're still going to have to have the floor tlles in the bathroom, study, hallway, and kitchen replaced after all. He told us not to use laminate floor tiles, or at least not to let them get wet, as they will curl if they get wet. Contractors who are licensed to remove floor boards that have asbestos in them will still have to come and replace the floorboards and floor tiles. At least, the living room carpet can be saved. All that's going to need doing is just replace the carpet tiles that got wet, and to use the Stanley Steamer carpet cleaner to clean the carpet.

The insurance company has set up hotel accomodations for my dad for now. I don't know where I'll stay, whether with my aunt, my brother and sister-in-law, or with my cousin and her husband. I certainly couldn't expect them to let me stay with them any longer than just overnight. It's going to take much longer, of course, to complete the repairs that need done.
On Wed Dec 11, 2013 06:19 PM
Hi! :) I'm back! Here's the update:

I figured it was going to take about 4-6 weeks to get things completely done here. I couldn't believe that my dad thought it would take only 2-3 days to complete a repair job this extensive (the entire main floor needing retiled, the entire area needing repainted, the new bathroom vanity being installed, the new wall panelling being put up in the basement).

Only a couple of things need to be put away now. The repairs look lovely. The whole place looks so much more up-to-date now. A man whom we know from a nearby town said that the the repairs will be a major update to the house, which will add much more value to the house.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Dec 11, 2013 08:54 PM
Thank you for the update. So often on DDN we never find out how things worked out in the end.

Jon
On Thu Dec 12, 2013 06:27 PM
We got some really nice wood laminate floor tiles in the kitchen, hallway, and study. The other floor tiles had been down for 24 years (yes, really!). The new floor tiles look so much more up-to-date. The bathroom vanity had already looked delapadated. The new vanity is more modern-looking. The new paint job looks cozier. The wall is divided half-way by wall beading. The top half we had painted in a nice apricot, the bottom half ws had painted in a nice dark cherry. The other wall paper had been up on the wall for Dick's days, so that needed to be replaced.
By Melly2 Comments: 22, member since Sat Dec 14, 2013
On Sun Jan 19, 2014 09:37 AM
Well, despite the initial shock and enormity of the job looks like you have benefited from it.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 AM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2014-01-19 10:51:59
I feel your pain, our basement flooded a week ago. We had TWO sump pumps fail. At. The. Same. Time. I went downstairs to do a load of wash, my husband's boots were downstairs, I figured he shoveled and forgot to shake the snow off. NOPE. I walk a little further and there's a good 4-6 inches of water in our basement. *Insert VERY colorful expletives here that were said by both of us here!*

We couldn't do anything that night, so he went out with his dad the next morning and got a shiny new sump pump. (That we couldn't afford, joys of home ownership!) He installed it, the water was gone within 5 minutes. We spent the rest of the day cleaning up.

All things considered, it could've been worse. We have to tear up our nice laminate floor and ditch our deep freezer. Grrrr .......The wood floor was so I could dance in a nice big space. There is cement under the wood floor, so it's not the end of the world, but I can't dance on it. :( The deep freezer is because we shop at Sam's/Costco and buy our meat in bulk because it's so much cheaper, especially since we're practically carnivores. :D

We were lucky, it doesn't appear it will mold, which is awesome. I'm highly allergic to mold, as it makes my throat itch.

One good thing came out of it, hubby said I could paint the ceiling lavender with sparkles. :D We'll also look at building us a new dance studio downstairs.
On Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:42 AM
I'm just glad, too, that our kitchen, living room, and my bedroom stayed dry. At least, the carpet in the living room and in my bedroom didn't need to be replaced.

We got vinyl, not laminate, floor tiles on the floor. The construction workers said they had to pull up six layers of linoleum before they could put down the new floor tiles. All of the repairs here needed to be done, anyway, no matter what. The total pricetag for the repair work here came to $10K. My dad was a bit shocked at the price. I figured that the work would come to that amount, given the amount of work that needed to be done.

We have a small dehumidifier downstairs in the basement. We definitely needed, though, the four indistrial strength dehuminifiers, and the five industrial strength dehumidifiers in the basement to get things thoroughly dried out before the construction workers could begin work. The small dehumidifier wouildn't have been able to dry things out. It was a wonder our sump pump managed to keep up with the flooding in the basement, so that the flooding wasn't any worse down there.

Dancing EMT, I suppose you would surely have needed more than one strong dehumidifier as well as the new sump pump to thoroughly dry out your basement. It is awesome that there apparently won't be any mold. As well as the mold making your throat itch, it would of course not have done your lungs any good, either, for you to be inhaling the mold.

ReplySendWatch