Forum: Irish / Irish

Irish Dancing Apps (karma: 1)
By dervalo
On Thu Oct 17, 2013 01:35 AM
Edited by dervalo (262281) on 2013-10-17 01:37:27 punctuation resulting in strange characters

Hi all,

Just to let you know about a new iPhone/iPad app now available on iTunes.

It is called IrishSoloSets

itunes.apple.com . . .

Designed for intermediate level Irish dancers, this first of its kind iPhone and iPad app provides dancers with all they need to improve their traditional solo set dances.

The app consists of a number of video clips of five well known traditional solo set dances. When practicing these steps, dancers can easily navigate between one video block and another and then view the entire dance danced to music from the beginning to the end.

The app includes an introduction by a world champion Irish dancer and experienced teacher who also dances all the steps. The five dances contained in the app are: The Blackbird, St. Patricks Day, Three Sea Captains Jockey to the Fair and Job of Journeywork.

Having all these steps easily accessible in one neatly packaged app with high-definition video clips is useful for any Irish dancer or indeed teacher, who wants to brush up on the steps to these well known traditional solo set dances.

Enjoy!

Derval
App developer and Irish dancer

5 Replies to Irish Dancing Apps

re: Irish Dancing Apps (karma: 1)
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 06:28 PM
Very cool!

May I ask the provenance of your versions of the sets? I was thinking about purchasing John Cullinane's new traditional set dances DVDs but would like the app if the versions are the same.
re: Irish Dancing Apps
By colgate
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 01:04 AM
Edited by colgate (150427) on 2013-10-19 01:05:15
I bought it & I love it! Only thing in Blackbird is you do a toe knock on the floor, which to my knowledge is not allowed.

Otherwise it's a great app & learning aid. Any chance of doing a Garden of Daisies??

Re the J Cullinane one, his St Pats has a different ending to the one on the app (which I do).
By IzzyIRISH
On Thu Oct 24, 2013 06:10 AM
I've just started Irish dancing at 16 years old and the app has helped me so much! Its good for a beginner as i breaks-down the dances really well and taught me so much! Thank you
By chevrechevalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Oct 27, 2013 03:11 PM
Will be checking it out, and sharing it with my instructor. Thanks!
By dervalo
On Mon Oct 28, 2013 02:31 PM
Edited by dervalo (262281) on 2013-10-28 14:33:07
Hi all,

Im glad to see the app is going down well.
If it is a success, we will do another one with the Garden of Daisies, King of the Fairies, Hurry the Jug and so on. If there is anything in particular you want, let me know and we’ll take it into consideration.
Regarding where these particular steps come from, my teacher, Sinéad Venables is from Dublin and went to a local dancing school there. I’ll find out from her which one. I went to Cora Cadwell in Dublin.

Anyway, do spread the word about the app. As I said if it takes off we can do more of them.

Slán anois,
Derval

ReplySendWatch