Forum: Irish / Irish

help on my rocks please!!
By IzzyIRISH
On Thu Oct 17, 2013 07:55 AM

Can anybody give me some tips/advice on how to do a rock im really stuck on them :(
thank you x

8 Replies to help on my rocks please!!

re: help on my rocks please!!
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:08 AM
Wow, didn't you just start Irish dancing lessons like a week ago?! You probably shouldn't be working on rocks quite yet since it is a more advanced move (I didn't learn how to do rocks until I was in Novice level) that involves lots of ankle strength and flexibility. Make sure you are ready for this advanced move before attempting it.

First off you need to ask your teacher about proper technique and how to perform this move safely since you could hurt or roll your ankle if not done correctly.
Also you must start practicing this move with a chair for balance and support. Here is a video that shows how it is done.
www.youtube.com . . .

Since it seems like you only JUST started dancing (as your other posts have suggested) I would concentrate more on learning and perfecting the basics of Irish dancing instead of jumping ahead to much harder moves that you probably aren't ready for. Unless your teacher approves you doing rocks, please don't do them yet.
By RinceorNosretep
On Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:08 AM
Edited by RinceorNosretep (217485) on 2013-10-17 10:14:23
www.dance.net . . . - great advice on proper technique required for a rock

www.dance.net . . . - more good tips on execution and specifically maintaining balance

And some videos:

www.youtube.com . . . starting at 11:47

www.youtube.com . . . starting at 7:05

www.youtube.com . . . this one makes me laugh because they're so stiff and awkward, but it gives a very good close up view of what rocks should look like, front view and side view (which is rare to find)

Edit: ^haha we must have posted at exactly the same time! LizzyIRISH, if you just barely started I agree with Luna that you shouldn't be jumping the guns. Learning the basics and solid technique now will make it much easier for you to learn advanced moves later on, and even more importantly prevent injury.
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 AM
I can't comment on rocks, really (I rarely do them, and I'm in a prizewinner class), but I was wondering if you are in a beginner class with young children, or in a 14-and-over, mixed levels class. I started out in the latter, which would affect the timing of when you learn steps/moves of various difficulty. To answer a previous post about hardshoe, some schools may have you complete one or two beginner classes before you move on to hardshoe, but if you are in a mixed-levels class, you may learn hardshoe fairly soon. I competed in treble jig at my first feis, 5 months after I started Irish dance, and hornpipe at my 3rd feis a month later. Please talk to your teacher about your concerns, which may include your dance goals, but should definitely include any troubles you are having with the moves.
By IzzyIRISH
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 04:36 AM
I know I have had my second lesson and i've learnt my light jig, reel amd im going onto the single/slip jig!
I am a fast learner! Thank you for the comments and the videos I will be practicing as much as i can!
xx
By tinydancer1988
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 03:23 PM
Just make sure that you aren't moving ahead of where you teacher wants you to be. I understand that you are passionate, but if you are doing things that your body isn't ready for you, you could injure yourself and have to take time off of dance.

I don't know how much you know about ballet, but those dancers have to go through years of conditioning and "pre-pointe" classes to get their ankles strong enough to go En Pointe.

Irish dance may not have official levels at which steps are introduced, but your teacher teaches them in a certain order for a reason.

You need to develop your muscles before trying certain things. They aren't hard moves because the older dancers want to keep them all for themselves- they are more difficult because they require a greater level of muscle control, development, and flexibility that most beginner dancers have not yet developed.

Please, please be careful. I understand that it's new, and exciting, and you are very passionate, but no one here wants to see your time dancing end prematurely due to injury.
By boleyngrrl
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 03:45 PM
No rocks. Not yet. You should compete, probably be in dancing over a YEAR before you start rocks. There is NO way your ankles are strong enough and your balance is good enough to start working on them after like a week of practicing. I'm sorry, but no. You need to focus on the steps you have been taught right now. Master those, then you can talk to your TC about moving on to harder moves. Poorly preformed rocks can end dancers careers. I've seen it happen to about four of my friends at various schools and at various levels.

Do not learn rocks from videos. If your TC (I use this to mean teacher, I understand you may not be in CLRG) has taught them to you, then (and ONLY then) should you look up technique. You need to know how your TC wants them and have guidance while learning them.

You have backgrounds in other dance, I think I remember reading, right? Well, rocks aren't really done in anything besides Irish (and possibly highland?), because they're dangerous. You shouldn't be doing them yet, especially after only a few lessons. If you ask your teacher, I'm sure he or she will tell you to hold off.

You seem very eager, which is great. I don't want to see you end your career by doing moves that are way out of your skill level that you don't know how to do. You can easily end your career. You have plenty to practice right now. Just because you learned the steps does not mean they are perfect. Perfect the steps so you do well with them instead of trying to learn all the big stuff you aren't ready for.

Good luck.
By califeisgirl
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 04:20 PM
I think over a year is a bit drastic. Here in the WR, everyone dances St. Patricks Day as a beginner, and there's a full rock in St. Patrick's Day. A strong dancer could be learning how to do them about three or four months after starting, if they are with it and really get their steps down. I think I learned to do them about 6 to 8 months after I started dancing, and part of that was just waiting to get hard shoes to practice them

OP, the best way to start learning rocks is to start learning the weight transfer. Rocks are a trick, what is involved in doing them isn't exactly what it looks like. This is the method I first learned, and it is how I teach the concept of rocks to others.

Stand with your feet flat on the ground, toes forward, in a closed 6th position if you will. Cross your right foot infront of your left, tucking your feet close together and keep your toes in the same line. It should be just like closed 6th, but with your legs crossed. Now stand with all your weight on your left leg, keeping your heel and toes on the ground. Flip your right foot so that your right little toe is on the ground, and the bottom of your shoe would be visible to someone on your left. Now, place your right foot flat on the ground like it was before, and stand with your weight on it while you flip your left foot over. Repeat. That's a full rock. All rocks really are are weight transfers flourished by a little twist of the non-weight bearing foot.

Keep your heels down until you master a fluid transfer from one foot to another. Remember to always keep your legs and knees tightly tightly together.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 04:34 PM
I agree a year is drastic but there is no way the OP's teacher has given her rocks in a dance since they're simply not permitted in beginner dances in the UK and she's not on to heavies yet.

OP, you've asked what is the best way to improve quickly. As I said in the PM, the best way to improve is to take things at your own pace. Don't rush. Don't push yourself too hard, and certainly do NOT second-guess your teacher and push ahead when they haven't taught you a particular move. She will let you know when rocks are appropriate and it is NOT now.

Think of it this way: everything is on a scale of difficulty. You have to learn x move before you learn y move, otherwise you'll be doing y move incorrectly. I doubt you've even gone near an ankle twist yet, let alone a rock. If you try to take on too many moves all at once, the all that will happen is that you'll do everything incorrectly because you haven't given any one thing enough attention. Whereas if you stick to what you're being taught, and perfect one thing before moving on to another, then you won't set yourself back by having to unlearn lots of bad habits.

ReplySendWatch