Forum: Advice / Modeling & Pageantry

Modeling & Pageantry
Pageants - what do you win?
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 05:44 AM

I've noticed a lot of people spend quite a bit of money on Pageants... They're not overly popular here in Australia so I guess I don't quite "get" them.

Do you win money? Is it actually a sustainable hobby? (I.e does the money won make up for the money spent on outfits etc?).

Can you wear the same dress twice or is that faux pas? If so. What do you do when you're done with it?

It's all fascinating to me!

5 Replies to Pageants - what do you win?

re: Pageants - what do you win?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 07:19 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-10-18 07:24:08
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-10-18 07:29:32
I wear the same dress and swimsuits in my pageants. I know several people who get new ones, but I can't afford it.

The Miss America system gives $30,000 to the winner, 25,000 to the 2nd place. All top 5 get scholorship money.

The winner of Miss Usa gets to live in Trump towers in a great neighborhood in New York City, get paid a VERY good salary, and gets to travel the world. The Miss Teen Usa gets a 1 year college scholorship to the Film Academy in New York. The Miss USA also gets paid her college education if she is still college age.

You have to win your State before moving into Nationals. At least for my State, you win a 1 year contract with modeling agency, a $25,000 ring , sponsors pay for beauty products, clothes for a year, free waxing year long, and they pay for your expense to travel all around the state to do charity work, appearances etc. free gym memberships and healthy food are also included.

If your win one of these pageant, you are basically " set" for a long time. You form awesome connections and you will never be out of a job due to all the networking you do. This turn into a legit job, and not just a hobby.

So I will say, if you play with the elites it is a sustainable hobby and you are making a huge amount in scholorship money and prizes. I would say the prize package is worth about $100,000 at the State Level and more like $500,000 at the national level.

The next pageant I am in , I paid $300 to enter. The winner gets $1500, a new pageant dress, waxing and tanning for a year,and gets to compete at the state level. They also get free diamonds, and they get paid for making appearances. They also pay for your travels to the next level of competition ( so flights, hotels etc) they also pay for a weekly personal trainer.

There are other local small pageants, but I am not too familiar with them, I've only competed in the Miss USA and Miss America systems.

Because of these things, there is strong competition among girls to get that coveted place. Last year at the state level, someone put super sharp shards in my shoes. I didn't notice them because I carried them into backstage but my feet got pretty sliced on stage.
Also at the Miss Universe pageant ( next stage after Miss USA) someone put pepper spray in the evening gown of one of the girls. She broke out and got hives and puffy and they had to put ice packs other to get the swelling down so she could compete.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 08:30 AM
^WHAT! Wow. That is horrendous and evil! Are you serious?! Wowww.
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 08:40 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-10-18 08:45:02
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-10-18 08:48:21
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-10-18 08:56:59
Yup, but those girls are a tiny bunch of bad apples. Not every girl is like that at all, and the majority of girls I have met are a lot nicer then putting pepper spray on dresses.

To be honest, it is way more competitive at the world wide level like Miss Universe, because there are a lot of girls who come from poor countries. It is their way out of poverty, so they have a lot riding on it, vs a country like USA.

I got private coaching from one of the coaches who taught the Miss Universe contestants how to walk properly. She said for some of these girls, if they didn't win they would be going back to the harsh reality of a lifetime in poverty, they are doing this more for their family to have a normal life.
I like to think of it like the Olympics. For countries that have a lot of low income families, they will go into things like sports or arts. It is their ticket out of their low income lifestyle.

To clarify about the pepper spray. I think the pepper spraying incident happened at the national level before Miss Universe, but it was part of the same system. The winner from that moved unto the world wide stage.

m.youtube.com . . .

Here is a video of the top 16 in the Universe level. As you can see it isn't just a bunch of pretty girls out on a stage. They have confidence, toned body, walking a certain way etc. They need to train just like any art such as dance.

Another trick I faced is trying to " fatten" up your competition with sodium. Sodium holds a lot of water making you look about 10 lbs heavier. Last year, there was a girl giving out chips to all the contestants, and the inexperienced one ate them. Thankfully I didn't fall for that cheap trick, but others did.

So 90% are nice but you gotta watch your back for the other 10%
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 PM
If I did pageants, I would win ALL the crowns.
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:56 PM
Do they have male pageants that aren't fitness pageants? I have no idea about any of those. Maybe Panic will have a better idea of male pageants hahha.
Although, I can't think of what men would be judged on since they aren't " beautiful". Would they be judges on muscles or size?
( arm size of course, before someone cracks a joke )

ReplySendWatch