Poll: Arts / Books

Quick Poll: Divergent Series or The Mortal Instruments Series?
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 AM
Edited by pharmadancer (87219) on 2013-10-18 10:52:25
Edited by pharmadancer (87219) on 2013-10-18 11:08:32

I want to start reading one of these series - I am a 30-something woman who is interested in relatively good writing. I like strong girl role models - for example, I loathe everything about the twilight series (yes, I read the first 2 books to give it a shot) while I liked considerably the hunger games series (not my favourite in the world, but good story) - interesting story that doesn't rely entirely on romance, and a series that isn't going to get subsequently worse with each passing book.

I have both of the above books on reserve at the library - which series should I dig into first?

Also - please no spoilers!!

6 Replies to Quick Poll: Divergent Series or The Mortal Instruments Series?

re: Quick Poll: Divergent Series or The Mortal Instruments Series?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:28 PM
I enjoyed Divergent & Insurgent, and didn't enjoy The Mortal Instruments series at all. So, I vote Divergent.
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:29 PM
I adored the Divergent series and couldn't even get through the first book of the Mortal Instruments...
So, easy choice!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 03:21 PM
Divergent is definitely the better written of the two and the one with the stronger and better characterized female lead. They're YA so I don't expect complexity of the same degree as in adult lit, but I kind of thought the Mortal Instruments was flat-out bad. Not Twilight bad but in that arena.

If you are interested in some seriously excellent urban fantasy though, you must read The Magicians by Lev Grossman and its sequel. It is outstanding, although for adults and with a male protagonist.
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 05:43 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, Megan! Will definitely check it out.

I'm on page 189 of Divergent, and just put Insurgent on hold in the library, since I'm pretty sure that I'll be finished Divergent by the end of the weekend, and I'm definitely hooked.

Thanks for the votes - good story! (definitely reminiscent of Hunger Games)
By caitydancerr Comments: 180, member since Thu Oct 27, 2011
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 05:02 PM
I voted for Divergent. However, I'm a bit biased since I haven't read The Mortal Instruments.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4773, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Wed Feb 19, 2014 08:17 PM
I've read both. Divergent is definitely more well-written than Mortal Instruments, though both are interesting stories. Might as well read Divergent first since it's only a trilogy. Then you can start Mortal Instruments, which is a longer series. Don't see the Mortal Instruments movie. It sucks. Like, really bad.

(I'm 28 and also enjoy the YA genre.)

ReplySendWatch