Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
Is Chinese Food racist?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 03:00 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2013-10-18 15:02:20

A music video brought to you by the same producer as Friday for Rebecca Black.

www.youtube.com . . .

So, social network is blowing up about how racist this music video is. I saw an interview with the girl and she said she wanted to sing about Chinese food because she loves it so much.

Thoughts?

Totally ignoring that there is a grown ass man having a pillow fight with a bunch of 10 year olds at a sleepover....

9 Replies to Is Chinese Food racist?

re: Is Chinese Food racist?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 04:08 PM
By colleeflower28 Comments: 236, member since Sat Feb 21, 2004
On Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:00 PM
I am more troubled that when the panda took off his costume in the girls room he was an adult male and not a teen boy
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 06:54 AM
It's only racist because it seems to be making a mockery out of different cultures. Personally I see nothing wrong with having a song or music video about Chinese food, but these producers know they will be scrutinised and they know they make these horrible cheesy things everyone hates, so putting a specific culture under this kind of light, well...it's certainly narrow minded, shallow and not politically correct
By dancin_til_death Comments: 4381, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Sat Oct 19, 2013 08:24 AM
With these sorts of things I try and focus on what it is trying to say. A cynical part of my brain is saying the producer is trying to create something controversial for the sake of it. However it is possible that this girl is just very ignorant about a number of things.

I do think it is a bit offensive, but I have a feeling no matter what this girl wanted to sing about, the subject would be similarly offended.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:19 AM
The song is brought to you by the same people who did "Friday" so of course you can expect it to be mindless in theme.

"Chop Suey" is not a Chinese dish. It is an American dish inspired by and created with Chinese ingredients. And the "native costumes" worn by the girls in the video are not Chinese. They are Japanese.

The song, which is a spoof, is right in that everyone loves Chinese food and Asian food in general. But people who are not Asian tend to confuse Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc. dishes and think of them all as "Chinese".

Let's see, I've had rice noodles which were the base of a Vietnamese bowl but I think there's rice noodles in spring rolls, too, which I'm pretty sure are Japanese. Or maybe I'm wrong about that.

Anyway, I don't think the song is racist. I think it points to the love of Asian food which American and Europeans have but the general ignorance and confusion when it comes to the difference in cuisines.
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6584, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 AM
Cheesy, yes. Mocking Chinese culture, yes. Perpetuating stereotypes about Chinese people, yes. Not only that, but they also have Asian cultures confused, such as the girls in geisha makeup near the end of the vid - geisha are Japanese, not Chinese.

The vid is also creepy. A grown man in a preteen sleepover - yuck.

Unfortunately, this is not the only time Chinese culture has been mocked in a music video. My ex from Puerto Rico once showed me this one by a Puerto Rican reggaeton singer, and though it doesn't have grown men at teenybopper sleepovers, it does have a lot of crude sexual innuendo (in Puerto Rican slang, "chino" means doggy-style):

www.youtube.com . . .
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 05:55 PM
I have seriously got to get into the songwriting business.
re: Is Chinese Food racist? (karma: 1)
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:05 AM
Whut Dahell did I just watch!?
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Thu Dec 05, 2013 09:57 AM
I've literally not been able to get through this video a full-time. I ALWAYS have to turn it off when the guy is being a creeper at the sleepover.

But the parts I have seen, my jaw was basically on the floor the entire time. This guy just needs to stop writing "music". Give it up. Call it quits.

On the plus side, there's a video of Rebecca Black reacting to her Friday video-- and she thinks it's just as dumb as everyone else does. :)

ReplySendWatch