Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Ballet Choreography
Help filling in some choreography holes?
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 427, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 AM

I'm working on a short solo to Blue Danube (with a prop) and I've got some holes I'd love some suggestions for.

The choreography is still evolving, but what I'm doing right now is: (hum the Blue Danube- it helps)

(I start upstage left, moving down right) Developpe- balance balance
Attitude- failli-hop*- saute arabesque
??? - waltz turn, waltz turn
??something to change direction?? - pique pique (back to stage left)
??another transition step?? - tombe-pas de bouree-glisade- saut de chat
pique arabesque- chasse- tour jete then chaines until offstage

Sorry if I'm spelling things wrong or using wrong terms. I can't remember right now the correct name for the *hop- but you just hop with your other foot coming up thru passe...

Obviously alot of what I need are transition steps, everywhere I have ???'s are holes.

and yes, this is all pretty much lifted from "across the floor" in class. Any tips to make it look a bit more polished - besides practice, of course - are super appreciated!

3 Replies to Help filling in some choreography holes?

re: Help filling in some choreography holes?
By theresemarie Comments: 358, member since Tue Feb 03, 2009
On Mon Oct 21, 2013 06:55 PM
Transition steps or what I call ballet conjunctions. Let's see... how about glissade,temps lie,or contretemps-that changes direction?
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:32 PM
For a pause and changing directions, how about a soutenu turn that does not go all the way around but stops and faces the new direction. Or a pause, shift feet and do a simple efface or ecarte if that would get you headed in the new direction. Or a fouette (not the pirouette-type turn but a grand battement to the front with a body-pivot so now you have an arabesque to the back), then a faille through to get you going the other direction.

For a transition step where you don't change direction, how about a waltz step backwards, as if if you were temporarily changing your mind, but then go forward with the next group of steps.
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 427, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:44 AM
hm...that's some good ideas. a demi contretemp could work well, and I like the idea of the fouette- we do those at the barre alot, I've never thought to put one in center!

I just found out I have ANOTHER solo at the end of the piece to choreograph as well! I end the show! (excited but intimidated now)

ReplySendWatch