Forum: Irish / Irish

First Feis 16 Year Old!
By IzzyIRISH
On Tue Oct 22, 2013 02:04 AM

Hey! You've probably seen a lot of me on the Irish dancing pages already but I’ve come to ask a few more questions!

1)What dances do you need to know to be able to go to a feis?

2)What should i expect from my first feis as a 16 year old?(make up, judges, on stage)

3)Are there any rules that i must know?

4)What should I wear as a beginner?

5)also, a general question for all you Irish dancers: What was your overall first feis experience? And do you have any tips for me?

4 Replies to First Feis 16 Year Old!

re: First Feis 16 Year Old!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 22, 2013 05:12 AM
regarding number 5, there are lots of posts about this. Just do a search (box in top right corner) but here are some to get you started:
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 22, 2013 05:33 AM
It's really up to your teacher to decide when you're ready to compete, which dances you enter, and what you wear.

As a 16 year old beginner you will probably not dance in a beginner grade as they tend to stop at about age 12/13, so you'd go into the next grade. In the UK, grade competitions are usually held in the sports hall of a secondary school, the room is split into three 'stages' (just a covering on the floor) and one judge is assigned to each stage. Sometimes they swap about. It'll really depend on the feis and where you live.

In terms of rules you probably don't need to go into too much detail about these as your teacher will advise, but once they have confirmed which feis you can attend then you can look up the syllabus of the feis online which will contain all the feis rules.

I would advise going to watch a feis before you join in with competing if possible, just to get into the swing of things.

If you are in the UK, instepfm.com is a good source for feis dates and syllabuses, but it's not an exhaustive list. This is assuming you're in an An Coimisiun school of course.
By IzzyIRISH
On Thu Oct 24, 2013 06:07 AM
Thank you I have got my third lesson today and we will be going over the light jig again. I will ask my teacher most stuff to do with the feis but thank you for all your support!
By IzzyIRISH
On Wed Nov 06, 2013 02:41 AM
Thank you SO much for doing a Uk version I get so confused with the US version because its so different. I have a few personal questions to ask:

I am a beginner but I am 16 years old- What group will I most probably be put in

I only known the light jig and reel will I be able to compete? and will I be able to compete for trophy

What will I have to do to move up from beginner?

what stuff should i bring for a first timer?

and finally, What do I wear? I have seen the US version which is a shirt and black skirt is this the same as the uk?

ReplySendWatch