Forum: Arts / Body Art

Body Art
Thinking about another piercing or two...suggestions/input wanted!
By LiveLoveDance5 Comments: 226, member since Fri Jan 30, 2009
On Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 PM

I currently have my lobes pierced, as well as a cartilage piercing in my left ear (not the helix, though). Cartilage healed easily - was red/pink for a few days after getting it done, but no infections or anything. Healed pretty quickly.

I know pain is subjective, but I'm asking around anyway for what pain others experienced with certain piercings. (My cartilage was about a 2 or 3 out of 10 on a pain scale, 10 being the highest.) I'll probably still get all of them done at some point anyway, but I'd rather just know if a majority of people found a specific piercing to be painful or not.

I'm debating between:
-double or triple forward helix
-rook
-daith
-tragus

Also trying to figure out what would look good where, as I would get a curved barbell for the rook/daith, and studs for the helix/tragus. Hated my CBR when I got my cartilage done.

Any input is appreciated! This is totally an aesthetic kind of thing, so feel free to tell me if you think someone would or wouldn't look good on my ear(s).

5 Replies to Thinking about another piercing or two...suggestions/input wanted!

re: Thinking about another piercing or two...suggestions/input wanted!
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 09:03 AM
I have lots of piercings and the only one that was close to a ten was my hooha. Anything on your ears is about the same pain scale. In regards to a rook specifically, it didn't hurt but because its done with a curved needle, you can hear it going through the cartilage and it sounds really gross. I've had mine done for 10 years and I still remember that sound. Also with a tragus, make sure you go to a reputable place, obviously, I got mine done the first time at a nail salon, dumb I know but it was an impulse thing, and I had to get it redone at my normal piercing place because they did it too close to edge.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:17 AM
I've had both my helix and my tragus so I can only speak for those. My body just doesn't like cartilage piercings though so I had to take both out.

Helix was a 1/10 (as were my navel, nose and all lobes), no pain at all. However my tragus was easily a 7. The fact that I could hear the cartilage crunching made it even worse. I have a really high pain tolerance generally but this was just brutal for me. I LOVED how it looked though (and I still love the piercing on other people), and if I could be guaranteed it would heal correctly I would do it again. Just keep in mind that's usually a very tough spot to pierce so you might have tons of pain...but then again you might not.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 09:16 AM
Edited by Brittany (36942) on 2013-10-26 09:17:31
I think any piercings on ears can look good assuming the piercer knows what they are doing and puts good jewelry in them. So aesthetically I see no problems with any of those.

As far as pain though, even if there is a majority feel that comes out of this thread, that's still not an indicator that that's what you'll experience. Every piercing is different...not one of my five helix piercings felt the same as another one of them, same with my five inner conch piercings. I've never really experienced pain during the piercing process, it's more of a discomfort for a second and then it's over and I've been pierced 29 times. It's the healing process where the pain really hits and that just always varies.

But if you want my experience, out of those I've just had my rook. My rook didn't pop when I got it pierced, the needle went in and it's a pretty thick piece of cartilage so I could definitely feel a good bit of pressure, it didn't hurt for a week, the second week was hell with pain, after that it was fine during the rest of the healing process.

Just want to point out, there really is no set piercing called a cartilage piercing. Your ear has a lot of cartilage in it and technically a nostril piercing is a cartilage piercing. Cartilage covers a lot. But with the angle of that piercing, I can't tell if it is a helix or a forward helix.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 09:31 AM
Do you wear earbuds a lot? I had a tragus piercing and it kept getting annoyed by my earbuds, which I use A TON, especially at my desk. I eventually had to take it out (didn't help that it was pierced poorly). That's my only point to ponder :)
By LiveLoveDance5 Comments: 226, member since Fri Jan 30, 2009
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 03:17 PM
Brittany - good point about the pain. It definitely is more of just a moment of discomfort when the needle goes in. The circular barbell messes with the angle in photos - the piercing hole itself is where the bead on the left is. Closer to the helix, but not in the shell of the helix there.

TheMidlakeMuse - I do, which is why I'm iffy about getting my tragus done. I'm curious what kind of jewelry you had in there? A friend got her's done when I got my cartilage done, and she had a CBR in it, which I know would be in the way for me. Did you have a CBR or a barbell? (Can you even put a labret stud in there upon piercing, or would it mess with the healing process?)

Thanks for your input, everyone!

ReplySendWatch