Forum: Irish / Irish

Moving scholls- how is it with the ban?
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 02:38 AM

Next year I will move away from my current place and that will mean to change Irish dancing school too.
How is it with the ban again? I know there is 6 month ban when switching schools, but that apply just within certain distance (50 miles radius or so?), is it right? In my case the distance would be ca. 900 kilometers (different country)- does it apply in this case? Also my "old" school was WIDA, the "new" one will be CLRG, but in the old oneI didnt do any Feisanna and dont dance there since September anyway, and I wont start in the new school before February next year, so even if there would be apply the ban, those 6 months would be over by February anyway, right? Just checking when I could do my first feis in the new school :)

5 Replies to Moving scholls- how is it with the ban?

re: Moving scholls- how is it with the ban?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 06:45 AM
You won't have to serve a ban at all, because you're moving so far away. And I don't know how it is with WIDA, but the ban only applies for a transfer between CLRG schools. CLRG schools have records of all their dancers, and if a dancer transfers from one school to the other that's when the paperwork comes in. The paperwork doesn't transfer between organizations, if that makes sense?
re: Moving scholls- how is it with the ban? (karma: 1)
By DiddlyiDancer
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 06:50 AM
The rule used to not apply if you changed association but it changed in June.

www.clrg.ie . . .

Here's a link, however the distance would count as a "significant change of residence" I am sure
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 06:50 AM
Yes, thank you :)
By DayOver30member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 08:48 AM
I have heard that if a ban would apply, it wouldn't start until 6 months after you are at your new school, or a year after you quit taking classes at your old one. I don't think your time off from dancing would count toward the 6-month ban time. However, aren't 900 km roughly 550 miles? I think that would be a significant enough move that there would be no ban required, as the previous posters have mentioned.

When I moved to a different state in the U.S. (I think it was 250-300 miles away from my old home), my teacher said I wouldn't have to serve a ban. However, with all the new steps, it took me 7-8 months before I felt ready to feis again anyways, so a ban wouldn't have mattered.

Good luck at your new school, and have fun!
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 09:11 AM
Yes, I am fully aware if the fact that I will have to learn the new steps and all that, but in case there will be some feis not far away, I think light jigs and single jigs are often similiar, so I could do those at least eventually (still have them for Primary and intermediate)
And thanks for the link with the rules, I know they change it from time to time and I dont always notice it immediately,.

ReplySendWatch