Forum: Irish / Irish

Looking for info on Wash DC area dance schools
By Rvndell
On Wed Oct 30, 2013 02:18 PM

Hello all. I will likely be relocating to the Washington DC area at the beginning of next year for a new job. I'm hoping to keep dancing after the move as a fun hobby and athletic outlet.

I would be working in Bethesda and looking for an apartment along I-270, maybe Gaithersburg or Germantown.

I'm looking for a CLRG school that would be kind to an older preliminary champion who will never bring glory and awards to the school, but who would like to remain a part of the Irish dance community. More than one class a week and/or late evening/weekend class times would be preferable.

I'm talking with my TC about which schools she would recommend, but I'd like opinions from the community as well. But not from Voy. I'm afraid of Voy. Just sayin'.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

5 Replies to Looking for info on Wash DC area dance schools

re: Looking for info on Wash DC area dance schools
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 30, 2013 02:55 PM
Yay for moving up this way!!! There are lots of schools around here, but traffic to get to them can be crazy depending on what time of day and direction you are heading in.

I currently go to Hurley which has classes in Frederick once a week, and Laytonsville 2x/wk. Both are 1/2 hour or less from Gaithersburg area, and the times of the champs classes would make traffic not a problem.

Culkin has classes in Silver spring area which is not far at all from Bethesda.

McGrath has classes in Northern VA, and also Damascus which is again about 1/2 hour or so from Gaithersburg.

Teelin is further away (Columbia) but could still be doable.

I think the Duffy school is around the Gaithersburg area also.

I think there are also some other schools that are not coming to mind at the moment. My gut feeling is that at all those schools you can be as competitive as you want to be, and they would not be against an older prelim dancer.

Nice to have so many choices!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 30, 2013 03:00 PM
This is a school not far from me in Laytonsville, MD which is quite close to Gaithersburg and Germantown (which are adjacent.)

hurleyirishdancers.com

I've seen them perform at local events. Laytonsville is a rural crossroads on MD Hwy 108 Near MD 124, and about 4-5 miles from both G-burg and G-town.

Their Frederick, MD location would be a bit further out, about 15 miles N of Germantown, but with an interstate connecting them.

You will have to inquire regarding adult programs. I have no connection with them other than being aware they exist and living in the general area (Olney, MD) myself. I have met MS. Hurley when her group performed at a local Relay for Life event where my wife is one of the organizers. The owner said she is a casual member of DDN.

Jon
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 30, 2013 03:02 PM
Haha, I see Hop123 (who I know) beat me to it. LOL

Jon
By Sakura_Efreet
On Thu Oct 31, 2013 01:17 AM
I am not a dancer there, but I know the Maple school has several older dancers (mid to late 20s). Not sure if they are in your area (I know little to nothing about DC neighborhoods and surrounding cities), but it could be worth looking into. :)
By Tansey
On Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 AM
Until we moved to New England, my daughter danced with the Culkin School. They're wonderful. They usually have a large group of older prelims/champions and they have an active adult program as well. My daughter's classes were in Bethesda, but there are also classes in Kensington, Rockville and Silver Spring. culkinschool.com . Lovely people and very supportive of older dancers.

ReplySendWatch